Just got a new homier swivel head saw tonight

  • chuckmf1135
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
      Homier was in town so i picked up the last swivel head saw they had,
      I retired my craftsman 4x6 along time ago in favor of a chopsaw. I
      need to cut some 6x2" steel tubes (shipping rack supports) so i got
      this model 03111, does anyone have one of these saws? Any tips or mods
      for this one then please let me know.
      I just got thru setting it up and made the first cut, everything
      seemed ok except the vise slips when tightned, i dont see a adjustment
      for this in the manual?
      Also were to get a good deal on quality bimetal blades i think it
      takes the standard 64.5" x .5 length. I plan on cutting thin steel
      square tubing, pipe and some aluminum of various types so any info
      will help.
    • Henry Katz

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
          I also just got a swivel saw from the Homier tent show yesterday
          afternoon....was 1 left in Longview Tx, was that the one you got??

          Got it set up and cutting,--- with a new blade,--- and I'm really
          surprised at the fit & finish on a $200 chinese saw! Took some slices
          off a piece of 2" angle, and they were VERY accurate. Look forward to
          getting a project going, and really checking it out.

          Couple early observations.....
          This thing is HEAVY, about got a hernia moving it around....

          Blade changes are a pain, with all the safety gizmos. Based on past
          experience, they wont last long in my shop, I'll get in a hurry and
          not put them back on------ever!.....

          The stand is much heavier/sturdier than the other 4x6 model.----

          Squaring the blade was easier than I thought would be, just laid a
          small machinist square against vice back and bumped it square.----

          Despite talk of not being able to cut in vertical position (a real
          need for me), I think I see a way to allow that...will describe if
          works out.... (somebody's probabably already done it and I missed it)

          Bill

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "chuckmf1135" <tucker@c...> wrote:

          > Homier was in town so i picked up the last swivel head saw they had,
          > I retired my craftsman 4x6 along time ago in favor of a chopsaw. I
          > need to cut some 6x2" steel tubes (shipping rack supports) so i got
          > this model 03111, does anyone have one of these saws? Any tips or mods
          > for this one then please let me know.
          > I just got thru setting it up and made the first cut, everything
          > seemed ok except the vise slips when tightned, i dont see a adjustment
          > for this in the manual?
          > Also were to get a good deal on quality bimetal blades i think it
          > takes the standard 64.5" x .5 length. I plan on cutting thin steel
          > square tubing, pipe and some aluminum of various types so any info
          > will help.

        • wds3r
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
            Regarding your vice slipping.... I too was enthusiastic about my new
            Homier. It ssemed a good cutting tool for the money. I had a few broken
            parts on mine and the slipping vice so I contacted Homier. The utter
            incompetence of the entire organization is beyond belief. I was sent
            parts I did not order or was never sent parts I reaptedly contacted
            them about. And I'm talking about months of meticulous attempts on my
            part to call them back, document what I requested vs. what I was sent,
            etc. I was finally sent a new vice after a phenomenal amount of effort
            but I was sent a used, abused and corroded replacement that had been
            cannibalized off another obviously well used saw. The actual chinese
            crappy design and construction is 10 times better than the knowledge
            and support American Homier workers are capable of providing.

            By the way - I was told the vices that slip are "old style" and they
            had been fixed. That made me even more pissed when I received an
            obviously older and used vice because I am pretty darn sure this beat
            up one will slip too after I take the time and effort to swap it out. I
            would rather live with using a c-clamp to hold my work rather than keep
            calling and emailing their incompetent people.

            The Homier folks are a bunch of freaking retards and no one will change
            my mind about that.

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "chuckmf1135" <tucker@c...> wrote:

            > Homier was in town so i picked up the last swivel head saw they
            had,
            > I retired my craftsman 4x6 along time ago in favor of a chopsaw. I
            > need to cut some 6x2" steel tubes (shipping rack supports) so i got
            > this model 03111, does anyone have one of these saws? Any tips or
            mods
            > for this one then please let me know.
            > I just got thru setting it up and made the first cut, everything
            > seemed ok except the vise slips when tightned, i dont see a adjustment
            > for this in the manual?
            > Also were to get a good deal on quality bimetal blades i think it
            > takes the standard 64.5" x .5 length. I plan on cutting thin steel
            > square tubing, pipe and some aluminum of various types so any info
            > will help.

          • tucker
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 6, 2006
              Thanks for the email Bill, yes its the same, reviews on the web were very good and this is why i bought this model
              item # 03111. It said it was $199.99 on sale & regular 250, The only flaw i can find is the vise will slip when trying
              to tightnen up a work piece in it. It must be a good one, this was Homiers first of 4 days in town and i got the last one they had last night. One thing i did notice, as i was moving it if you pickup to high on the lift handle it will tip over backwards very easy and once it starts its gone so im going to add a saftey bar behind the wheels.

              From: "Bill Pace" <pace8@...>
              Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:51:13 -0000

              >I also just got a swivel saw from the Homier tent show yesterday
              >afternoon....was 1 left in Longview Tx, was that the one you got??
              >
              >Got it set up and cutting,--- with a new blade,--- and I'm really
              >surprised at the fit & finish on a $200 chinese saw! Took some slices
              >off a piece of 2" angle, and they were VERY accurate. Look forward to
              >getting a project going, and really checking it out.
              >
              >Couple early observations.....
              >This thing is HEAVY, about got a hernia moving it around....
              >
              >Blade changes are a pain, with all the safety gizmos. Based on past
              >experience, they wont last long in my shop, I'll get in a hurry and
              >not put them back on------ever!.....
              >
              >The stand is much heavier/sturdier than the other 4x6 model.----
              >
              >Squaring the blade was easier than I thought would be, just laid a
              >small machinist square against vice back and bumped it square.----
              >
              >Despite talk of not being able to cut in vertical position (a real
              >need for me), I think I see a way to allow that...will describe if
              >works out.... (somebody's probabably already done it and I missed it)
              >
              >Bill
              >

              >--- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "chuckmf1135" <tucker@c...> wrote:
              >>
              >> Homier was in town so i picked up the last swivel head saw they had,
              >> I retired my craftsman 4x6 along time ago in favor of a chopsaw. I
              >> need to cut some 6x2" steel tubes (shipping rack supports) so i got
              >> this model 03111, does anyone have one of these saws? Any tips or mods
              >> for this one then please let me know.
              >> I just got thru setting it up and made the first cut, everything
              >> seemed ok except the vise slips when tightned, i dont see a adjustment
              >> for this in the manual?
              >> Also were to get a good deal on quality bimetal blades i think it
              >> takes the standard 64.5" x .5 length. I plan on cutting thin steel
              >> square tubing, pipe and some aluminum of various types so any info
              >> will help.
              >>

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Dave J
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2006
                The only potential downsides seem to be;

                - pivot point may be sloppy and need bushing
                - blade access door is not hinged
                - downfeed cylinder may be sticky
                - freewheel has steel bushing rather than bearing
                - some have had trouble with vise slip
                - mystery regarding vertical position warning
                - same cheap plastic handwheels, handles, motor etc...