Re: Homier again

  • paul_probus
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1 4:09 AM
      Bob,

      That theory would be valid, however, Homier has been carrying both
      the mill and the lathe steadily for a couple of years now. Part of
      Homier's problem is that I believe they only make one or two orders a
      year for the metalworking equipment and when they run out, they will
      take in a certain number of back orders to be filled when they
      receive their new shipment, but if the # of back orders gets
      exceeded, they probably remove the products from the website to
      ensure that they don't sell equipment they haven't ordered, yet.
      That would make it appear that they only buy overruns.

      Anyway, that's my theory and I'm sticking with it. :)

      Paul

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Bob Neidorff <neidorff@t...> wrote:
      > Although many people sell things that LOOK like the same tool, it
      is
      > almost impossible to find identical tools from different vendors.
      > Similar, yes, but each one is a bit different. There are a large
      number
      > of factories in Mainland China and Taiwan that copy each other's
      ideas
      > and ideas from western tool makers. A common scenario is that a
      large
      > western tool maker, like Delta, will contract a bandsaw to a small
      > chinese factory. Once they make Delta's order, they have a few
      hundred
      > castings left over. They save the castings, change some sheet
      metal,
      > change the paint color, use a cheaper motor, and sell the tool to
      > someone else. It's from the same factory and the same castings,
      but
      > different enough to protect them in the event of a lawsuit.
      >
      > What does this mean to us?
      >
      > 1) Most of the time, parts are interchangable, but not always.
      >
      > 2) The bargain dealers like Homier buy overruns. Even though
      others
      > continue to sell the (saw, lathe, mill, whatever), Homier may have
      sold
      > their stock and may not get the tool again, or may not get it until
      the
      > factory has another overrun, or until they find another maker in a
      > similar situation.
      >
      > 3) Identical looking tools may have some parts identical, but may
      use
      > different motors, different sheet metal, etc. especially on a very
      > common tool like the fixed-base 4x6.
      >
      > Bob Neidorff
      >
      > > The # 03111 looks like the same saw that Griz sells as the G9742 -
      - anyone
      > > know if they're the same tool ??
    • tkeliher
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1 8:23 AM
        Someone who is adept at communicating with businesses could probably
        call or write Homier and ask them directly what their buying
        policies are. ;)

        -Tom

        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "paul_probus" <paul_probus@y...>

      • goodperch
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1 4:28 PM
          I have both saws (soon to sell the HF 3018) They both work well. The 3111 does offer
          angle cutting but the major advantage is that it is a much better built saw right out of the
          box. It will work in vertical mode same as the 3018 through it doesn't have a vertical
          cutting bed include. I have had a bit of trouble with the gear box leaking and haven't got
          around to replacing the seal yet (I may try stop leak since it is a slow leak) But it seems to
          cut well. For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw. Look at te pictures in husk
          3111 for a shot of the two side by side.

          cheers

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, c Weiss <mr.cweiss@g...> wrote:
          > Goodperch and all,
          > Are you guys happy with your Homier 03111 ?
          > Hard to believe there would be $235 worth of 'difference' between the Griz
          > and the 03111, I'd think :)!
          > I presume there's the usual tune-up and purchase of a decent blade ?
          > Thanks for any thoughts,
          > Conrad ....and now... how to get it from Indiana to the SF Peninsula. Ships
          > by truck I'd suppose?
          > **********************
          > On 7/31/05, goodperch <husk@n...> wrote:
          > >
          > > In regard to the G9742 .... I've bought a hingle off of them and put it on
          > > the Homier 3111
          > > since Homier had no idea when the part would arrive.
          > >
          > > cheers
          > >

          > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Dave J" <galt_57@h...> wrote:

          > > > Everyone notices that they look identical but I've never
          > > > heard anyone verify this.

          > > > Homier is doing better with their website within past few
          > > > months but they still raise questions with occasional odd
          > > > removals of items. I mean are they really not going to sell
          > > > the minimill again?

        • c Weiss
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1 8:51 PM
            Thanks for the report on the Homier 03111. I checked the pics in husk-3111, and I'm really impressed with this machine :)! For me, the ability to cut 60 deg angles, hydraulic down-feed and good maneuverability with that Euro-base -- that's worth an added 100 bux over the std 4x6 Homier saw -- to me.

            The gear box leak doesn't worry me -- sounds like an easy gasket swap, or some additive -- as you suggest. Now to wait 'til Homier's in my neighborhood -- or just pay the freight <gasp> :)!

            Thanks,

            Conrad.

            *****************

            On 8/1/05, goodperch <husk@...> wrote:
            I have both saws (soon to sell the HF 3018)  They both work well.  The 3111 does offer
            angle cutting but the major advantage is that it is a much better built saw right out of the
            box.  It will work in vertical mode same as the 3018 through it doesn't have a vertical
            cutting bed include.  I have had a bit of trouble with the gear box leaking and haven't got
            around to replacing the seal yet (I may try stop leak since it is a slow leak) But it seems to
            cut well.  For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw.  Look at te pictures in husk
            3111 for a shot of the two side by side.

            cheers

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, c Weiss <mr.cweiss@g...> wrote:
            > Goodperch and all,
            >  Are you guys happy with your Homier 03111 ?
            >  Hard to believe there would be $235 worth of 'difference' between the Griz
            > and the 03111, I'd think :)!
            >  I presume there's the usual tune-up and purchase of a decent blade ?
            >  Thanks for any thoughts,
            >  Conrad ....and now... how to get it from Indiana to the SF Peninsula. Ships
            > by truck I'd suppose?
            >  **********************
            >  On 7/31/05, goodperch <husk@n...> wrote:
            > >
            > > In regard to the G9742 .... I've bought a hingle off of them and put it on
            > > the Homier 3111
            > > since Homier had no idea when the part would arrive.
            > >
            > > cheers
          • tkeliher
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1 8:51 PM
              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "goodperch" <husk@n...> wrote:
              For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw. Look at te
              pictures in husk
              > 3111 for a shot of the two side by side.
              >
              > cheers

              Did you have any trouble getting a replacement part for whatever it is
              that you show being broken? Did that happen in shipping?

              -Tom
            • tkeliher
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1 8:57 PM
                I almost ordered one. Till they wanted $144 dollars for shipping! :(

                -Tom

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "tkeliher" <tkeliher@s...> wrote:
                > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "goodperch" <husk@n...> wrote:
                > For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw. Look at te
                > pictures in husk
                > > 3111 for a shot of the two side by side.
                > >
                > > cheers
                >
                > Did you have any trouble getting a replacement part for whatever it
                is
                > that you show being broken? Did that happen in shipping?
                >
                > -Tom
              • npwbill
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2 10:00 AM
                  I stoped the leak on my 3018 by making a 1/4" alum back up plate and
                  installed longer screws with the green, original plate on top of it all.
                  Bill

                  goodperch wrote:

                  > I have both saws (soon to sell the HF 3018) They both work well. The
                  > 3111 does offer
                  > angle cutting but the major advantage is that it is a much better
                  > built saw right out of the
                  > box. It will work in vertical mode same as the 3018 through it
                  > doesn't have a vertical
                  > cutting bed include. I have had a bit of trouble with the gear box
                  > leaking and haven't got
                  > around to replacing the seal yet (I may try stop leak since it is a
                  > slow leak) But it seems to
                  > cut well. For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw. Look
                  > at te pictures in husk
                  > 3111 for a shot of the two side by side.
                  >
                  > cheers
                • goodperch
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 2 3:52 PM
                    RE: Did you have any trouble getting a replacement part for whatever it is that you show
                    being broken? Did that happen in shipping?

                    The saw was broke in the box. I didn't find it out till the next day when I unpacked it.
                    They only had one at the show and Homier agreed to replace the part. After 2 months
                    with no part in sight they offered $30.00 as a replacement cost for the part. I took the
                    money and ordered the part from Grizzy ($22.00). Showed up in three days. Except for
                    the color of green it was an exact match.

                    Someone mentioned the shipping cost as $177. Doesn't surprise me. It comes in two
                    boxes (saw and stand). The saw is heavy.

                    cheers

                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "tkeliher" <tkeliher@s...> wrote:
                    > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "goodperch" <husk@n...> wrote:
                    > For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw. Look at te
                    > pictures in husk
                    > > 3111 for a shot of the two side by side.
                    > >
                    > > cheers
                    >
                    > Did you have any trouble getting a replacement part for whatever it is
                    > that you show being broken? Did that happen in shipping?
                    >
                    > -Tom
                  • tmay20619
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 15 6:23 PM
                      I can't verify that this works, but I was at a Homier traveling sale
                      today and wanted something that wasn't in the truck. The head guy
                      told me you can order items from the company and pick them up at the
                      next available traveling sale. So, if you are in an area that they
                      come to, it may be possible to avoid the shipping charges this way.
                      Once again, I haven't actually done this, so I can't swear that it
                      works, so take it for what it's worth.
                      Terry

                      (

                      > -Tom
                      >
                      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "tkeliher" <tkeliher@s...>
                      wrote:
                      > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "goodperch" <husk@n...> wrote:
                      > > For $30 more I think the 3111 is a much better saw. Look at
                      te
                      > > pictures in husk
                      > > > 3111 for a shot of the two side by side.
                      > > >
                      > > > cheers
                      > >
                      > > Did you have any trouble getting a replacement part for whatever
                      it
                      > is
                      > > that you show being broken? Did that happen in shipping?
                      > >
                      > > -Tom
                    • Dave J
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 15 6:50 PM
                        Anything is possible -- but that seems a bit far fetched.
                        Maybe if you called them as soon as a particular tent sale
                        was announced they might be able to check the stock of that
                        sales team or do something.

                        --- "tmay20619" <tmay@g...> wrote:
                        > I can't verify that this works, but I was at a Homier traveling
                        > sale today and wanted something that wasn't in the truck. The
                        > head guy told me you can order items from the company and pick
                        > them up at the next available traveling sale. So, if you are in
                        > an area that they come to, it may be possible to avoid the
                        > shipping charges this way. Once again, I haven't actually done
                        > this, so I can't swear that it works, so take it for what it's
                        > worth.
                        > Terry

                      • tmay20619
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 16 3:00 PM
                          I agree it is iffy at best, especially with Homier 8>) but he seemed
                          to think it was a normal service. I probably wouldn't pay in
                          advance, but if they could take the order and have it placed on the
                          truck, it could work. The biggest catch is that, at least in my
                          area, they only come to town once a year, so you would have to find
                          another town where they are going to go soon, but is within
                          reasonable distance from you. In my case he said they would be going
                          to a town about 25 miles away soon. That would work OK for me, IF
                          they actually got the tool on the truck, and marked it reserved for
                          me. A lot of stars would have to line up for this, but potentially
                          someone could save 100 to 200 dollars shipping.
                          Terry