Craftsman 101.2290 4x6 saw- auto shutoff?

  • lkasdorf
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1 7:27 AM
      I'm starting a new thread on this saw, as my original got pretty
      fragmented.

      I ordered a starrett 60" blade from MSC and it fits and runs great.
      Interestingly, I looked carefully for their weld, just to see how
      nicely they do it. I never found it! I guess they finish their welds
      pretty well!

      When I can find a good deal on blade stock I plan to braze or weld my
      own blades. But given the low volume of work that I expect this saw
      to see, this blade should last a while...

      Covel, eh? I know that the Craftsman lathes with model numbers
      starting with 101. were made by Atlas, I would have thought this was
      as well.

      re lubing the gears- I currently have grease on them, but am thinking
      of cleaning that off and switching to a dry moly or graphite lube
      that won't attract chips. Then I could clean the gear with compressed
      air and shoot more dry lube on periodically.

      Regarding the power switch- mine has a simple toggle switch, placed
      where one could envision it being used for auto shutoff. However,
      there is no evidence of this, and the moving part of the saw doesn't
      come close to hitting the switch. I would expect some sort of bracket
      that strikes the switch handle, but none is present, and no holes for
      one.

      So, I'm confused about what this saw had originally. The location of
      the power switch is hideously dangerous, and the only reason to place
      it there would be for autoshutoff, but there is no evidence that this
      ever existed on this saw.

      I plan to mount a 2nd power switch on the cabinet somewhere, and rig
      up an adjustable arm that will hit the switch at the end of the cut
      shut off the saw.
    • too_many_tools
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 10:39 PM
        Hi,

        It's been awhile but I seem to remember the saw was setup so when it
        finished the cut, the saw would hit the switch off. Check the Sears
        diagram to see if you are missing a part that would do this.

        I do know that the Craftsman power hacksaw came in a number of
        versions....one of which did not have the auto shutoff feature.
        Perhaps the bandsaw went through a similar upgrade.

        Adding a second switch is always a good idea. A failsafe switch is
        worth the one time that you will need it whether it is ten minutes or
        ten years from now. I know a number of people who have fewer than ten
        fingers who would agree.

        Too_Many_Tools