drip

  • Sam Shepherd
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
      I just completed my coolant system and I find the blade is draging
      coolant to the rear of the saw and driping on the deck. what do I do
      here?
      Thanks
    • Richard Albers
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Shepherd" <duffy2@n...> wrote:

        > I just completed my coolant system and I find the blade is draging
        > coolant to the rear of the saw and driping on the deck. what do I do
        > here?

        Easiest: add a drip pan back there, drain to same sump. Watch
        for the drain tubing to get hard and crack after you start to depend
        on it. ;-) I'd start with a plastic funnel, tubing, and a clamp.

        Alternate: make a blade wiper. Probably will need adjusting or
        replacement on a regular basis. May not get all the coolant off,
        so you may still need idea #1.

        RA
      • Cletus L. Berkeley
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2004
          I have a blade wiper made of a piece of neoprene
          sheet. But some coolant does get past. However, the
          way I'm setup I can live with the small amount of
          drip.
          If I were to rebuils a stand for the machine, I would
          use a full size drip pan and return all the coolant to
          the sump.
          Cheers, Cletus
          --- Richard Albers <rralbers@...> wrote:

          > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Sam Shepherd"
          > <duffy2@n...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just completed my coolant system and I find the
          > blade is draging
          > > coolant to the rear of the saw and driping on the
          > deck. what do I do
          > > here?
          >
          > Easiest: add a drip pan back there, drain to same
          > sump. Watch
          > for the drain tubing to get hard and crack after you
          > start to depend
          > on it. ;-) I'd start with a plastic funnel, tubing,
          > and a clamp.
          >
          > Alternate: make a blade wiper. Probably will
          > need adjusting or
          > replacement on a regular basis. May not get all the
          > coolant off,
          > so you may still need idea #1.
          >
          > RA

        • Richard Albers
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
            Good point. I'll keep this in mind for when I add a coolant pan
            to my 4x6. The idea would appear to be good for vertical operation,
            too.

            You can probably just set a small pan on the floor behind your
            saw to catch the drips - kinda like catching drips from a leaky
            roof. The volume should be small. Also depends on whether those
            drips are all in a small enough area to hit the pan.

            I suppose you/he could use a pan made for catching automobile oil
            drips, under the entire saw and sticking out the back. This may
            be a good idea anyway. I don't yet have coolant on my saw, so I
            don't know how bad a problem splashing/dripping is, or if such a pan
            would be needed - or big enough if it is needed.

            I don't know if this would work for Sam or not - depends on how
            much drips back there, and whether he is willing to watch the level
            in the pan. It would need to be dumped into the main pan or the
            sump occasionally.

            RA

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Cletus L. Berkeley"
            <cberkeley@y...> wrote:
            > I have a blade wiper made of a piece of neoprene
            > sheet. But some coolant does get past. However, the
            > way I'm setup I can live with the small amount of
            > drip.
            > If I were to rebuils a stand for the machine, I would
            > use a full size drip pan and return all the coolant to
            > the sump.
          • Michael Wood, Cincinnati
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2004
              I've had fair success by mounting a cheap wire wheel touching the blade
              at a 45 degree angle. This tends to rotate while adding just enough drag
              to get a lot of the swarf and the coolant down onto the right recovery
              system. Usually I also build a small tray for the bottom of the saw as
              well, since it is not 100% effective!
              Mike Wood, Cincinnati

              Sam Shepherd wrote:

              >I just completed my coolant system and I find the blade is draging
              >coolant to the rear of the saw and driping on the deck. what do I do
              >here?
              >Thanks
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Roy
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 15, 2004
                I made my coolant tray of sufficient size that it will catch any drip
                that may occur at the back, but I have also installed a piece of
                rubber with a slit for the blade to go thorugh under the small plate
                at the front edge of the rear blade guide rolelr assembly, as well as
                a small brush to knock of swarf from the blade. So far so good and its
                been over 15 years now....................since I added a coolant
                system to this saw........Occasionally I replace the rubber, but it
                lasta for quite a few years....guss it would depend on what kind of
                rubber material is used though.