Gearbox Oil

  • Greg Miller <gregrycm@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
      Hello All,

      Santa gave me a new Enco 4x6 Bandsaw for Christmas. I read all of
      the past posts so I was aware of all of the tweaks required to improve
      the saw. I have not checked the the Gearbox for sand yet, but was
      wondering what weight of oil to use if I need to replace the Gearbox
      Oil?

      I also cut 1x12 pine boards to fit the inside of the sheet metal
      stand legs and attached the boards to the metal legs with #8 pan head
      screws. The legs are then bolted through the sheet metal and pine
      boards to the saw bottom. I don't know how rigid the stand would
      have been without the pine boards, but I am pleased with my results.

      Thanks for all of the previous posts, they are a great resource!

      Greg
    • Dave Hylands
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
        This looks like an interesting link on the 4x6 as well:

        http://www.mini-lathe.com/Bandsaw/Bandsaw.htm

        --
        Dave Hylands
        Vancouver, BC, Canada

        Santa gave me a new Enco 4x6 Bandsaw for Christmas. I read all of
        the past posts so I was aware of all of the tweaks required to improve
        the saw. I have not checked the the Gearbox for sand yet, but was
        wondering what weight of oil to use if I need to replace the Gearbox
        Oil?

        I also cut 1x12 pine boards to fit the inside of the sheet metal
        stand legs and attached the boards to the metal legs with #8 pan head
        screws. The legs are then bolted through the sheet metal and pine
        boards to the saw bottom. I don't know how rigid the stand would
        have been without the pine boards, but I am pleased with my results.

        Thanks for all of the previous posts, they are a great resource!

        Greg

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jim E.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          I topped my reservoir w/30 wt for no really good reason, but in
          hindsight I'd probably have been better off draining it and using 80 wt
          gear oil. I've had no problems to date, but then, it's not a
          highly-used piece of equipment.

          Graciously,
          Jim
          Lakewood, CA
          All Hail Rube Goldberg!

        • bigjohn6662000 <gwood66@hotmail.com>
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
            The book calls for 140w which is available in any auto parts store.
            Pour it slowly or you'll find it runs out and makes a big mess!
            HTH, Big John

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Greg Miller <gregrycm@a...>"
            <gregrycm@a...> wrote:
            > Hello All,
            >
            > Santa gave me a new Enco 4x6 Bandsaw for Christmas. I read all of
            > the past posts so I was aware of all of the tweaks required to
            improve
            > the saw. I have not checked the the Gearbox for sand yet, but was
            > wondering what weight of oil to use if I need to replace the
            Gearbox
            > Oil?
            >
            > I also cut 1x12 pine boards to fit the inside of the sheet metal
            > stand legs and attached the boards to the metal legs with #8 pan
            head
            > screws. The legs are then bolted through the sheet metal and pine
            > boards to the saw bottom. I don't know how rigid the stand would
            > have been without the pine boards, but I am pleased with my results.
            >
            > Thanks for all of the previous posts, they are a great resource!
            >
            > Greg
          • wilbilt2
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2005
              I have seen different recommendations as to the type of oil to use in
              the gearbox.

              Is good old 85W90 hypoid oil OK? I have a jug of it somewhere.

              Will