RE: Re: [4x6bandsaw] HF 4x6 arm tension?

  • Alys & John Vreede
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 13, 2013

      Hi Dave

      The 6x4 doesn’t have a measurement, but the handbook for a 7x12 horizontal/vertical I read, said the “Bow weight” (presume they mean the weight of the head casting) should be set to 5-6kg (11-13 lb) when measured with a spring balance(fish scale) hooked to the blade tensioning knob.

      7x12’s are massive by comparison with a 6x4 with much coarser teeth blades, meant to make much wider cuts and all have hydraulics, so I’d expect the 6x4 to be way  less than that, maybe 3-4 kg (7-9 lb).

      I run mine at 9 lb which I get when the handle is screwed all the way in – maximum tension on the spring and  I’m looking at flipping the angle bracket (that the spring pulls against) over, so I can reduce it even more.

      I believe the counterbalance spring is not meant to be adjusted even though you can.

      If you need to slow the rate of cut, you should use hydraulics, which is definitely the way to go for cutting thinner sections (pipe, tube, angle etc).

      If you think you need to hang extra weight off the head, you probably have too fine a tooth blade on (too many tpi) - jv