New member intro, an old 4x6

  • gerrit308
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013
      Hi all,

      I was gifted a 4x6 of 1980's vintage last week. I had used it last year to cut 1" steel and T6061. At the time it hadn't been used for 10-15 years. After some impromptu alignment it cut well. Fast forward to this week and now it is mine :-)

      After moving the machine to my condo, it was popping the blade near the end of each cut so I started reading the alignment document from the Files section. Things are much improved as a result. An excellent document, thank you!

      The machine has travelled a lot and so there have been some fixes over the years. I replaced the wiring and installed a correct length drive belt. Guide bearings are on the way, the guide block adjusting bolts have been replaced with SHCS for alignment convenience. I need to cut new washers as one of them jams the upper guide bearing when tightened, I suspect the wheels are set closer to the main casting than original? I will re-install a cutoff switch this week, it was replaced with a household switch in a box at some point in its life.

      I will need to add 2 swivel wheels to make it portable, living in a condo I need to keep the machine in my locker and move it to-from our hobby room. Lifting one end to shuffle the distance isn't a pleasure at age 65 :-) Also will add a drip feed for cutting fluid

      What brand is it? The sticker is long gone but I can see where it was. The vise castings say RB11 and RB12, the only identifying marks on it. I will post photos in the next day or so.

      Gerrit, in Toronto

    • Alan Muller

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2013

          Hi Alan

          There is plenty of lubricant in the gearbox but it is slated for replacement soon. I will have to source something good locally

          There are indeed many similarities across the brands in the photos. So far all the bolts etc have been UNC, not metric.

          Gerrit