RE: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Need to grind a tad off the frame

  • Rick Sparber
    Message 1 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
      Well done demo of the saw. The only thing he did not cut was pipe.

      I own a counter rotating metal saw made by Ridged

      http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-5-in-Twin-Blade-Circular-Saw-R3250/2025818
      23#.UfUjmz3n-Uk

      It is great for cutting sheet metal with no distortion of the stock.

      Rick

      Message 2 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
        I disagree with you on the Milwaukee saw.

        When I was in the hom construction (etc) business, a friend laid down
        the law to me. Buy Milwaukee or else. So I did, and he was right.

        Milwaukee is the gold standard for many power tools. You buy one, then
        just use it on the job for years. Use it hard, but never take your hand
        off of it. Yep, they are equipped with legs, and will walk off on their
        own on a moments notice. DAMHIK.

        Don't think that makes a stand mounted band saw, but if they did, it
        might be perhaps $600 to $1000 dollars. But we wouldn't have to have a
        web site or list to help us fine tune and/or repair and modify the saw.
        It would come ready to use.

        The Milwaukee saw is a few more dollars, but it's really a bargain
        compared to the HF stuff.

        Tom Wade

        On 7/28/2013 9:06 AM, Everett wrote:

        > I've been curious about metal circular saws since I watched this
        > video. The saw pictured here is very expensive compared to HF or NT
        > but it seems to work very well.
        >
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwFPXh1oo8
        >
        > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:4x6bandsaw%40yahoogroups.com>, "oldhermit" <oldhermit@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Joe, Jerry, and John,
        > > Thanks for all your advice. The circular saw sounds promising but,
        > there is no Northern or HF store in my town and I can grind the frame
        > out and be done with the cutting before I can make a 100 mile round
        > trip to buy one. I think that's what I'll do. I'll also keep an eye on
        > the HF catalog to see when they have the circulr saw again. It sounds
        > like just the ticket to cut a 4'x8' sheet.
        > > Sincerely,
        > > Harold Epps

      • Larry White
        Message 3 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
          I bought that exact saw some time back and have to say it is everything they say and more.  Yes it was expensive and the replacement blades aren't cheap either but ...  you do get what you pay for
          Larry
          Kempner TX

          I've been curious about metal circular saws since I watched this video. The saw pictured here is very expensive compared to HF or NT but it seems to work very well.

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VwFPXh1oo8

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "oldhermit" <oldhermit@...> wrote:

          > Joe, Jerry, and John,
          > Thanks for all your advice. The circular saw sounds promising but, there is no Northern or HF store in my town and I can grind the frame out and be done with the cutting before I can make a 100 mile round trip to buy one. I think that's what I'll do. I'll also keep an eye on the HF catalog to see when they have the circulr saw again. It sounds like just the ticket to cut a 4'x8' sheet.
          > Sincerely,
          > Harold Epps

        • Tom Wade
          Message 4 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
            Only thing you don't get with the Milwaukee is that box of surprises.

            Tom Wade

            On 7/28/2013 11:11 AM, Larry White wrote:

            > I bought that exact saw some time back and have to say it is
            > everything they say and more. Yes it was expensive and the replacement
            > blades aren't cheap either but ... you do get what you pay for
            > Larry
            > Kempner TX

          • David Frantz
            Message 5 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
              The problem I have with these video is that my tool budget is limited.    I have a number of Milwaukee tools by the way, like all manufactures some things are excellent while others are just good.

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
                With respect to everyone's opinion here, sometimes you get more than what you pay for.

                I paid about 25% of what the Milwaukee saw costs (On sale + 20% off coupon). It's seen a lot of heavy use without a a single hiccup. The blades were only $16.00 dollars each (with 20% off coupon). I've "dulled" 3 and have recently resharpened them.

                Personal experience is often the best way to know which HF tools are junk and which are not.

                After all, aren't most of this forums members owners of HF 4x6 bandsaws??? :)

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Larry White" <lj123white@...> wrote:

                > I bought that exact saw some time back and have to say it is everything they say and more. Yes it was expensive and the replacement blades aren't cheap either but ... you do get what you pay for
                > Larry
                > Kempner TX

              • Jerry Durand
                Message 7 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013

                  On 07/28/2013 09:23 AM, David Frantz wrote:
                  The problem I have with these video is that my tool budget is limited.    I have a number of Milwaukee tools by the way, like all manufactures some things are excellent while others are just good.

                  Sent from my iPad

                  I bought the HF saw when it was on sale and used the 20% off coupon and had it delivered for $58 plus tax (which they added to my credit card at a later date).  I got it because I had large pieces of 11 gauge sheet metal to cut up and needed straight cuts.

                  Worked great for me.
                  tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                  Skype:  jerrydurand

                • Haydut1200
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
                    Jerry Durand wrote:

                    > On 07/28/2013 09:23 AM, David Frantz wrote:
                    >> The problem I have with these video is that my tool budget is limited.
                    >> I have a number of Milwaukee tools by the way, like all
                    >> manufactures some things are excellent while others are just good.
                    >>
                    >> Sent from my iPad
                    >>

                    > I bought the HF saw when it was on sale and used the 20% off coupon and
                    > had it delivered for $58 plus tax (which they added to my credit card at
                    > a later date). I got it because I had large pieces of 11 gauge sheet
                    > metal to cut up and needed straight cuts.
                    >
                    > Worked great for me.

                    I have an Evolution Rage circular saw, I don't know if they are
                    available at the US side of the pond. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit
                    for my home use. I was lost for a time when I sold my oxy-acetylene
                    gear, but when I bought the Evolution I never missed it after that.
                    Well, not as far as cutting was concerned.
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 28, 2013
                      I bought my Evolution saw from Sears. Works just fine.

                      Jim

                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Haydut1200 <haydut1200@...> wrote:

                      > Jerry Durand wrote:
                      > >

                      > > On 07/28/2013 09:23 AM, David Frantz wrote:
                      > >> The problem I have with these video is that my tool budget is limited.
                      > >> I have a number of Milwaukee tools by the way, like all
                      > >> manufactures some things are excellent while others are just good.
                      > >>
                      > >> Sent from my iPad
                      > >>

                      > > I bought the HF saw when it was on sale and used the 20% off coupon and
                      > > had it delivered for $58 plus tax (which they added to my credit card at
                      > > a later date). I got it because I had large pieces of 11 gauge sheet
                      > > metal to cut up and needed straight cuts.
                      > >
                      > > Worked great for me.
                      > >
                      > I have an Evolution Rage circular saw, I don't know if they are
                      > available at the US side of the pond. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit
                      > for my home use. I was lost for a time when I sold my oxy-acetylene
                      > gear, but when I bought the Evolution I never missed it after that.
                      > Well, not as far as cutting was concerned.

                    • Everett
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 29, 2013
                        I have no doubts that the Milwaukee saw (or any of their products for that matter) is better. It's a question of duty cycle for me. I usually don't use certain tools enough to justify the best of the best. "Will it get the job done?" is the question I ask myself before I decide which tool to buy. Many times I'm disappointed in the performance of a cheap tool and I lose time and money. Often times it works just fine for what I need it to do. It's a gamble I'm willing to take, but everyone has different circumstances.
                      • Josh
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 29, 2013
                          Lurker here, no affiliation with woot, but today at http://tools.woot.com, they have a refurb 7" for $65 and new 9" Evolution saw for $150. I pulled the trigger on the 7" as it's about the same price as the HF one, bigger, and arguably has to be better quality.

                          --JOsh

                          On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Everett <evy_newt@...> wrote:
                          I have no doubts that the Milwaukee saw (or any of their products for that matter) is better.  It's a question of duty cycle for me.  I usually don't use certain tools enough to justify the best of the best.  "Will it get the job done?" is the question I ask myself before I decide which tool to buy.  Many times I'm disappointed in the performance of a cheap tool and I lose time and money.  Often times it works just fine for what I need it to do.  It's a gamble I'm willing to take, but everyone has different circumstances.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)

                          <*> To change settings via email:
                              4x6bandsaw-digest@yahoogroups.com
                              4x6bandsaw-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • David Frantz
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 31, 2013
                            This is a rational way to approach tool buying.

                            For higher end tools like Milwaukee you do need to ask yourself if they are worth the extra money.   In some cases the answer is yes.    Things like battery powered drills and even their flashlights are practically bargains as these tools are used often even in home shops.   Like you have indicated though you can often get buy with cheaper stuff for less frequently used hardware.

                            Sent from my iPad

                            On Jul 29, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Everett <evy_newt@...> wrote:

                            I have no doubts that the Milwaukee saw (or any of their products for that matter) is better. It's a question of duty cycle for me. I usually don't use certain tools enough to justify the best of the best. "Will it get the job done?" is the question I ask myself before I decide which tool to buy. Many times I'm disappointed in the performance of a cheap tool and I lose time and money. Often times it works just fine for what I need it to do. It's a gamble I'm willing to take, but everyone has different circumstances.

                          • cannontandem
                            Message 13 of 28 , Aug 2, 2013
                              I'd guess yours is the model 08897. I think they replaced it with the 69702 which has a smaller blade and lower amp rating. Has anyone tried a "bad blade" multi purpose blade in a table saw? Paul M

                              http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=BAD%20BLADE%20BB725%20

                              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" <jsppleasant@...> wrote:

                              > I have not used my 4x6 to perform ripping.
                              >
                              > However, when cutting 1/4" - 1/2" plate I use a metal cutting circular saw with an edge guide.
                              > I've cut quite a bit of 1/2" plate with it even though the blade says 1/4" maximum.
                              >
                              > I'm sure it would be much faster and more accurate than using the 4x6 in the vertical position. But, you would have to be creative to use an edge guide on something that narrow.
                              >
                              > I got it at harbor freight but couldn't find (or the blades) on their site today. ???
                              >
                              > Northern tool has one that looks virtually identical (but more expensive) at this link: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200313572_200313572
                              >

                              > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "oldhermit" <oldhermit@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > This morning, I ripped about 30 inches of 3/8 x 6 down the middle and have more to do. The only complaint I have is that the 4x6, in the vertical position, just will handle 3" between the blade and the frame with the metal rubbing against the frame. I thought I'd check and see if anyone had ground about 1/8 inch out of the frame before I did it.
                              > > Thanks,
                              > > Harold

                            • cannontandem
                              Message 14 of 28 , Aug 7, 2013
                                Hi Jerry,
                                I assume the saws model number was 08897. If so, what was the blades model number and what was it's arbor size?

                                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                                > I bought the HF saw when it was on sale and used the 20% off coupon and
                                > had it delivered for $58 plus tax (which they added to my credit card at
                                > a later date). I got it because I had large pieces of 11 gauge sheet
                                > metal to cut up and needed straight cuts.
                                >
                                > Worked great for me.
                                >
                                > --
                                > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                                > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                > Skype: jerrydurand

                              • cannontandem
                                Message 15 of 28 , Aug 7, 2013
                                  I saw the model 8897 was back on HF's site today. What model number is your blade?

                                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "cannontandem" <cannontandem@...> wrote:

                                  > I'd guess yours is the model 08897. I think they replaced it with the 69702 which has a smaller blade and lower amp rating. Has anyone tried a "bad blade" multi purpose blade in a table saw? Paul M
                                  >
                                  > http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=BAD%20BLADE%20BB725%20
                                  >
                                  > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" <jsppleasant@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I have not used my 4x6 to perform ripping.
                                  > >
                                  > > However, when cutting 1/4" - 1/2" plate I use a metal cutting circular saw with an edge guide.
                                  > > I've cut quite a bit of 1/2" plate with it even though the blade says 1/4" maximum.
                                  > >
                                  > > I'm sure it would be much faster and more accurate than using the 4x6 in the vertical position. But, you would have to be creative to use an edge guide on something that narrow.
                                  > >
                                  > > I got it at harbor freight but couldn't find (or the blades) on their site today. ???
                                  > >
                                  > > Northern tool has one that looks virtually identical (but more expensive) at this link: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200313572_200313572
                                  > >

                                  > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "oldhermit" <oldhermit@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > This morning, I ripped about 30 inches of 3/8 x 6 down the middle and have more to do. The only complaint I have is that the 4x6, in the vertical position, just will handle 3" between the blade and the frame with the metal rubbing against the frame. I thought I'd check and see if anyone had ground about 1/8 inch out of the frame before I did it.
                                  > > > Thanks,
                                  > > > Harold

                                • Carl Hollopeter
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Aug 7, 2013
                                    Cannontandem,
                                                        Try 94642
                                    Carl H

                                    Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2013 2:07 PM

                                    href="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=BAD%20BLADE%20BB725%20">http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=BAD%20BLADE%20BB725%20

                                    href="mailto:4x6bandsaw%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:4x6bandsaw%40yahoogroups.com, "oldhermit" <oldhermit@> wrote:

                                    > > > This
                                    morning, I ripped about 30 inches of 3/8 x 6 down the middle and have more to do. The only complaint I have is that the 4x6, in the vertical position, just will handle 3" between the blade and the frame with the metal rubbing against the frame. I thought I'd check and see if anyone had ground about 1/8 inch out of the frame before I did it.
                                    > > > Thanks,

                                    Harold

                                  • Jerry Durand
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Aug 7, 2013
                                      The blade came already mounted on the saw, but the web page says 5/7"
                                      arbor. I'm guessing the blade is # 94642, it looks like it.

                                      On 08/07/2013 11:58 AM, cannontandem wrote:
                                      > Hi Jerry,
                                      > I assume the saws model number was 08897. If so, what was the blades model number and what was it's arbor size?

                                      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                      Skype: jerrydurand
                                    • joe_dirt1966
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Aug 7, 2013
                                        Yes.
                                        The saw I own is Item#8897. $72.00 with 20% off coupon (before tax).
                                        I think I actually paid less(sale + coupon???).

                                        The blade is Item#94642.
                                        Arbor size = 5/8"

                                        Highly recommend it. Works great.

                                        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:

                                        > The blade came already mounted on the saw, but the web page says 5/7"
                                        > arbor. I'm guessing the blade is # 94642, it looks like it.
                                        >
                                        > On 08/07/2013 11:58 AM, cannontandem wrote:
                                        > > Hi Jerry,
                                        > > I assume the saws model number was 08897. If so, what was the blades model number and what was it's arbor size?
                                        > >

                                        > --
                                        > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                                        > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                        > Skype: jerrydurand

                                      • oldhermit
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Aug 10, 2013
                                          Will those circular saw blades cut through welds?
                                          Harold

                                          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" <jsppleasant@...> wrote:

                                          > Yes.
                                          > The saw I own is Item#8897. $72.00 with 20% off coupon (before tax).
                                          > I think I actually paid less(sale + coupon???).
                                          >
                                          > The blade is Item#94642.
                                          > Arbor size = 5/8"
                                          >
                                          > Highly recommend it. Works great.
                                          >
                                          > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > The blade came already mounted on the saw, but the web page says 5/7"
                                          > > arbor. I'm guessing the blade is # 94642, it looks like it.
                                          > >
                                          > > On 08/07/2013 11:58 AM, cannontandem wrote:
                                          > > > Hi Jerry,
                                          > > > I assume the saws model number was 08897. If so, what was the blades model number and what was it's arbor size?
                                          > > >

                                          > > --
                                          > > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
                                          > > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                                          > > Skype: jerrydurand

                                        • Jerry Durand
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Aug 10, 2013
                                            Haven't tried it, but I'd take is slow. I assume no high-strength
                                            welds, just normal stuff.