RE: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Blade driving wheel slipping on axis - is this normal?

  • Alys & John Vreede
    Message 1 of 10 , May 3, 2013

      That’s the thing Robert identified that I missed.  My saw has a 4.8mm (31/64” I suspect) square key held in place by a set screw on top if it locking the shaft to the pulley. There is no nut on the end of it. You’d be able to see if yours was supposed to have a key and it was missing by the empty keyways in shaft and pulley.

      Others I’ve seen have only a set screw with no keyway

      Some people report having great difficulty in pulling the wheel from the shaft, presumably heat shrunk onto the shaft, but since yours turns, its probably not that hard to remove.

      I’d be most surprised if your pulley didn’t have a  set screw in its hub.

      If you run out of warranty then using Loctite and a set screw would be a way to fix it - jv