Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Worm Gear

  • Jerry Durand
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 14, 2013
      The exact breather I got is a:
      BVS-18
      by
      ADSENS TECHNOLOGY INC

      I got it from here only because I was buying other items.
      http://www.plccenter.com/en-US/Buy/ADSENS%20TECHNOLOGY%20INC/BVS18

      On 04/14/2013 01:29 PM, Stan wrote:
      Your site glass and Jerry's breather, That's a combo! Just watch that glass, I've lost an air comp. to breakage of a cheap one. But, this is right in front of you,  shouldn't be a problem. I like both ideas! An improvement.
      Stan

      toolfools.com/forum

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" <jsppleasant@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > >
      > > Good morning all!
      > > I made a little mod to my saw that is simple and convenient,and have
      > > posted it here before. Just makes it a little easier to check the oil.
      > > http://www.toolfools.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.0
      > > <http://www.toolfools.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.0>
      > >
      > > Stan
      > > http://www.toolfools.com/forum <http://www.toolfools.com/forum>
      > >

      > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "klondike1944" <klondike1944@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ok. I matched the key ways on the old and new gear, drilled the roll
      > > pin hole in the new gear and installed in the bandsaw. Works, cut 3 or
      > > 4 pieces of scrap to test and I am satisfied it is back in business. I
      > > used some WalMart SuperTech 80-140 gear oil that states on the label
      > > that it is safe for bronze, copper, and brass. Believe me when I say
      > > that I will check the gear box more often - I am even tempted to make a
      > > polycarbonate cover so that I can keep an eye on the oil level.
      > > > Regards, Al

      > > it will be spot on. Carefully measure the and mark the location of the
      > > hole and only drill one side. (I usually drill this first hole
      > > undersize) then assemble the gear on the shaft paying attention to line
      > > up the hole you drilled to be as close to perfect as possible with the
      > > existing hole in the shaft. Then carefully ream the hole to match the
      > > hole location in the shaft, Finish up by match drilling the opposite
      > > hole using the existing hole as a guide. Insert your roll pin/pins and
      > > reassemble!

      > > dimensions match the original. Looks good except that there is no roll
      > > pin hole drilled in the shaft boss. Does anyone think it is safe to
      > > mount the gear with just the key and a press fit? If I can't align the
      > > roll pin hole how about a set screw (grub screw)? Curious to hear some
      > > feedback. Have not gone into the shop to check the fit yet.

      > > and the tech gave me the part number to order. I ordered two of them at
      > > $21 each with a no questions asked 30 day return policy if the gears
      > > don't fit. I'll let you know what comes in the mail and if it fits.

      > > Saturday and the blade stopped with the motor running. Opened the
      > > gearbox and it was full of bronze confetti. Good news is that I was
      > > able to drive the roll pin out and pull the bronze gear out without
      > > difficulty. Now to find a replacement. My red HF saw has a 23 tooth
      > > bronze gear. The gear on Amazon is a 20 tooth so I have a call and 2
      > > e-mails in to HF to see if I can get a replacement. OBTHW, the gearbox
      > > was completely dry. I had changed the factory mud with some new gear
      > > oil - and it disappeared completely.

      > > wheel from a known good source ... like Grizzly? Obviously there might
      > > be shaft size issues but it would seem like that is an easier issue to
      > > resolve than finding the right gear to match the existing worm. And even
      > > finding the right number of teeth does not guarantee the hole for the

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype:  jerrydurand

    • sinij_kot
      Message 38 of 38 , Jun 18, 2013
        Al, do you still have the part number for the bronze gear? Mine gave out and when I called parts department they told me that the gear is not available.

        Thank you