Re: Clamp

  • Roy
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "TEX" <texican57@y...> wrote:
      > IIRC, that's a Chicago Electric brand. Is everbody but me gittin
      > good performance outta CE tools from HF? I bought a 1/2" variable
      > drill from em, but my Sears 3/8" variable will eat the 1/2" alive.
      > had to bore out some 7/16" holes to 1/2" an it cudn't handle it.
      The
      > 3/8" drill didn't even slow down. I'd buy one of those portable
      > bandsaws, but I've got harder things to cut than hot butter. :o)
      TEX
      > ----------------------
      > They have the portable bandsaw for $64.00, which is a very good
      deal
      > on the variable speed model.Mike Wood, Cincinnati ... lsumner

      In my personal opinion, you do not get much of any power tool be it
      electric or air powered when you buy HF. Their pneumatic powered
      items use more CFM of air than comparable higher end tools, which
      also produce more torque than the HF ones do. Never had any luck with
      any of thr HF electrical powered tools especially those that utilized
      brushes such as their grinders, chop saw etc etc. Even their regular
      electric motors are pityfull. The only real exception with HF is my
      original H V Saw of over 20 years of age, was well worth the money
      years ago for the use its had.......Most everything else belongs on
      the bottom of the sea bed!
    • TEX
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
        Thanks fer the warnin on pneumatic tools. I can't agree that
        everthin HF sells is bad. I bought a factory reconditioned Zip saw
        fer $50 that performs well. I've also seen reconditioned DeWalt
        stuff. They do have a lot of things that are very durable that
        aren't electric or pneumatic. You really have to be on yer toes when
        ya buy anythin anymore. I've got a Skil saw I bought, with less than
        2 hours on it an it quit workin. And ... Ryobi, made in SC, won't
        hire ya if yer an older feller. So I don't reckon any of em have
        clean noses. ... :o) TEX
        --------------------------
        In my personal opinion, you do not get much of any power tool be it
        electric or air powered when you buy HF. Their pneumatic powered
        items use more CFM of air than comparable higher end tools, which
        also produce more torque than the HF ones do. Never had any luck
        with any of thr HF electrical powered tools especially those that
        utilized brushes such as their grinders, chop saw etc etc. Even
        their regular electric motors are pityfull. The only real exception
        with HF is my original H V Saw of over 20 years of age, was well
        worth the money years ago for the use its had. Most everything else
        belongs on the bottom of the sea bed! ... Roy
      • mark
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
          HF tools come from asia. You have to stay with what asian countries are
          good at. Machined castings are pretty decent, and weldments. Forget
          electrical and pneumatic tools, or complex equipment with tight tolerances.
          This leaves stuff like jackstands and anvils. Everything else is pretty much
          junk.

          On Thursday 03 June 2004 07:49 pm, TEX wrote:
          > Thanks fer the warnin on pneumatic tools. I can't agree that
          > everthin HF sells is bad. I bought a factory reconditioned Zip saw
          > fer $50 that performs well. I've also seen reconditioned DeWalt
          > stuff. They do have a lot of things that are very durable that
          > aren't electric or pneumatic. You really have to be on yer toes when
          > ya buy anythin anymore. I've got a Skil saw I bought, with less than
          > 2 hours on it an it quit workin. And ... Ryobi, made in SC, won't
          > hire ya if yer an older feller. So I don't reckon any of em have
          > clean noses. ... :o) TEX
          > --------------------------
          > In my personal opinion, you do not get much of any power tool be it
          > electric or air powered when you buy HF. Their pneumatic powered
          > items use more CFM of air than comparable higher end tools, which
          > also produce more torque than the HF ones do. Never had any luck
          > with any of thr HF electrical powered tools especially those that
          > utilized brushes such as their grinders, chop saw etc etc. Even
          > their regular electric motors are pityfull. The only real exception
          > with HF is my original H V Saw of over 20 years of age, was well
          > worth the money years ago for the use its had. Most everything else
          > belongs on the bottom of the sea bed! ... Roy
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jerry Stephenson

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
              Obviously, HF is not selling top of the line tooling and any semi-
              conherent buyer will realize that. Having said that, for the price,
              some of their tooling is decent. In our case, the handy H/V badnsaws
              are simple yet effective for what most of us need. With some
              tweaking they are quite usable and won't set the hobbiest back too
              much money.

              Ryan
            • Elton Clark
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
                Ryan wrote:

                > Obviously, HF is not selling top of the line tooling and any semi-
                > conherent buyer will realize that. Having said that, for the price,
                > some of their tooling is decent.

                I agree but I'll quickly add that it is nice that I have a HF store down the
                road so that I can inspect before I buy. My best example of the type tool I
                can happily buy from Harbor Freight is a complete 3/4 drive socket set for
                about $30 bucks a few years back . . I don't use 3/4 drive 4 times a year
                and 3/4 drive is so big I can't break it anyway . . Really good quality 3/4
                drive set would cost 10 times that much . . O' course, if I was a
                Caterpillar mechanic . . .
              • Jerry Stephenson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2004
                  I bought a large 3/4" socket set to get one size, I think 2 3/8".  I cut it and welded in a piece of pipe to make a deep socket to adjust the wheel bearings on my old 4wd ford ranger.  The socket set cost less than the tool would have cost from Ford.  I gave it to the guy I sold the truck to but still have the rest of the set.  Great deal.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 6, 2004
                    --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan" <sned1@y...> wrote:
                    > Obviously, HF is not selling top of the line tooling and any semi-
                    > conherent buyer will realize that. Having said that, for the
                    price,
                    > some of their tooling is decent. In our case, the handy H/V
                    badnsaws
                    > are simple yet effective for what most of us need. With some
                    > tweaking they are quite usable and won't set the hobbiest back too
                    > much money.
                    >

                    > Ryan

                    The H/V saw is one exception to the general rule as it is a base to
                    which you can improve on with most stuff being readily available, to
                    mod or change out. On the other hand items like their angle grinders,
                    chop saws air tools etc leave very little if anything at all that one
                    can readily improve on due to design and the materials its made of. I
                    looked at the H V saw as a basic cast iron casting to work with, as
                    other than the two main castings everything else is able to be
                    improvised or improved on.

                    I used to look at buying HF wrenches and sockets etc for that one
                    time need, but found myself getting into trouble even then on some
                    items, with sloppy fitting sockets and wrenches it often compounded
                    problems I had, I know its hard to cough up 3o or 40 bucks for a one
                    time use socket or large wrench etc, but sometimes and more often
                    than not, its worth it in the end especially when that sloppy fitting
                    wrench breaks or destroys something else in the process of your
                    repair.