Re: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Coolant?

  • Nelson
    Message 1 of 27 , Feb 11, 2013

      I don't think so. Coolant extends blade life by keeping it cool and preserving temper.

      On Feb 11, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "CLevinski" <clevinski@...> wrote:

      Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am using a quality bi-metal
      blade, which several of you mentioned.

      I notice that a lot of you cut dry, especially when you don't use the
      saw too often. I also am not a very heavy "cutter". Am I being overly
      cautious, then, spraying coolant from a hand sprayer for cutting a 1-1/4
      inch diameter bar of mild steel?

      Charlie

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" wrote:

      > X2. Dry cut + good quality BiMetal blade (not SuperCut blades from
      Harbor Freight).

      > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Robert Blodinger wrote:
      > >
      > > I cut dry and usually at the middle speed using a good BiMetal
      blade.

      > > Bob
      > >
      > > Sent from my iPad 2
      > >

      > > On Feb 10, 2013, at 5:03 PM, "CLevinski" wrote:
      > >
      > > > Hi...
      > > >
      > > > I've read over the months that many users let their bandsaw cut
      stock
      > > > while they work on other tasks in the shop. I stand there and use
      > > > spray bottle of Kool-Mist as it cuts. Since I'd like to
      multi-task,
      > > > too, I'd like to ask this question; if you let your bandsaw cut on
      its
      > > > own, have you equipped it with a coolant system? If you're using a
      > > > coolant system, what does it consist of?
      > > >
      > > > Many thanks for any comments...
      > > >
      > > > Charlie

    • notfilc64
      Message 2 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
        There are 903 teeth on a 64.5 inch blade with 14 teeth per inch,each of which are only momentarily cutting in a 1.25 diameter workpiece. The rest of the time each tooth is air cooling as it travels round the pulleys. On a machine this small the cutting pressures and speed do not need coolant. If you feel the blade after a cut it isn't even warm. On a lathe with a single tooth cutting all the time it's a different story. Coolant on the 4x6 simply makes a mess and further complication. Now cutting oil is another story.

        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Nelson wrote:

        > I don't think so. Coolant extends blade life by keeping it cool and preserving temper.
        >
        > On Feb 11, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "CLevinski" wrote:
        >
        > > Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am using a quality bi-metal
        > > blade, which several of you mentioned.
        > >
        > > I notice that a lot of you cut dry, especially when you don't use the
        > > saw too often. I also am not a very heavy "cutter". Am I being overly
        > > cautious, then, spraying coolant from a hand sprayer for cutting a 1-1/4
        > > inch diameter bar of mild steel?
        > >
        > > Charlie
        > >
        > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" wrote:
        > > >
        > > > X2. Dry cut + good quality BiMetal blade (not SuperCut blades from
        > > Harbor Freight).

        > > blade.

        > > stock
        > > multi-task,
        > > its

      • Guenther Paul
        Message 3 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
          If you look at my setup on my saw you will like it. Coolant don't make a mess if you set it up properly. Lubrication that is what coolant is and it will make any type of blade last longer

          GP

          There are 903 teeth on a 64.5 inch blade with 14 teeth per inch,each of which are only momentarily cutting in a 1.25 diameter workpiece. The rest of the time each tooth is air cooling as it travels round the pulleys. On a machine this small the cutting pressures and speed do not need coolant. If you feel the blade after a cut it isn't even warm. On a lathe with a single tooth cutting all the time it's a different story. Coolant on the 4x6 simply makes a mess and further complication. Now cutting oil is another story.

          --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Nelson wrote:

          > I don't think so. Coolant extends blade life by keeping it cool and preserving temper.
          >
          > On Feb 11, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "CLevinski" wrote:
          >
          > > Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am using a quality bi-metal
          > > blade, which several of you mentioned.
          > >
          > > I notice that a lot of you cut dry, especially when you don't use the
          > > saw too often. I also am not a very heavy "cutter". Am I being overly
          > > cautious, then, spraying coolant from a hand sprayer for cutting a 1-1/4
          > > inch diameter bar of mild steel?
          > >
          > > Charlie
          > >
          > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" wrote:
          > > >
          > > > X2. Dry cut + good quality BiMetal blade (not SuperCut blades from
          > > Harbor Freight).

          > > blade.

          > > stock
          > > multi-task,
          > > its

        • William Warne
          Message 4 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
            My understanding is that coolant / lubricant, particularly flood, cleans the debris from the blade teeth.  So I would think that makes for a smoother cut.

            Bill

            There are 903 teeth on a 64.5 inch blade with 14 teeth per inch,each of which are only momentarily cutting in a 1.25 diameter workpiece. The rest of the time each tooth is air cooling as it travels round the pulleys. On a machine this small the cutting pressures and speed do not need coolant. If you feel the blade after a cut it isn't even warm. On a lathe with a single tooth cutting all the time it's a different story. Coolant on the 4x6 simply makes a mess and further complication. Now cutting oil is another story.

            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Nelson wrote:

            > I don't think so. Coolant extends blade life by keeping it cool and preserving temper.
            >
            > On Feb 11, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "CLevinski" wrote:
            >
            > > Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am using a quality bi-metal
            > > blade, which several of you mentioned.
            > >
            > > I notice that a lot of you cut dry, especially when you don't use the
            > > saw too often. I also am not a very heavy "cutter". Am I being overly
            > > cautious, then, spraying coolant from a hand sprayer for cutting a 1-1/4
            > > inch diameter bar of mild steel?
            > >
            > > Charlie
            > >
            > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@...m</< span>A>, "joe_dirt1966" wrote:
            > > >
            > > > X2. Dry cut + good quality BiMetal blade (not SuperCut blades from
            > > Harbor Freight).
            > > >

            > > > --- In

            > > blade.

            > > stock
            > > multi-task,
            > > its

          • Andy Wander
            Message 5 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013

              Coolant and lubricant really perform 2 different functions-coolant is great when the action of the cut will cause a large amount of heating, either of the tool or the material, and is mainly used to extend tool life.

              Lubrication is great for helping to avoid rough surfaces, and also helps the chip sticking issue.

              Most coolants will provide at least some lubrication, and vice-versa.

              As you have also seen, flood coolant is good for washing chips out of the cut area, which can help with a clean cut by preventing previously-cut chips being dragged through the cut area.

              Andy Wander

              My understanding is that coolant / lubricant, particularly flood, cleans the debris from the blade teeth.  So I would think that makes for a smoother cut.

              Bill

              There are 903 teeth on a 64.5 inch blade with 14 teeth per inch,each of which are only momentarily cutting in a 1.25 diameter workpiece. The rest of the time each tooth is air cooling as it travels round the pulleys. On a machine this small the cutting pressures and speed do not need coolant. If you feel the blade after a cut it isn't even warm. On a lathe with a single tooth cutting all the time it's a different story. Coolant on the 4x6 simply makes a mess and further complication. Now cutting oil is another story.

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Nelson wrote:

              > I don't think so. Coolant extends blade life by keeping it cool and preserving temper.
              >
              > On Feb 11, 2013, at 9:40 PM, "CLevinski" wrote:
              >
              > > Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am using a quality bi-metal
              > > blade, which several of you mentioned.
              > >
              > > I notice that a lot of you cut dry, especially when you don't use the
              > > saw too often. I also am not a very heavy "cutter". Am I being overly
              > > cautious, then, spraying coolant from a hand sprayer for cutting a 1-1/4
              > > inch diameter bar of mild steel?
              > >
              > > Charlie
              > >
              > > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com</< span>A>, "joe_dirt1966" wrote:
              > > >
              > > > X2. Dry cut + good quality BiMetal blade (not SuperCut blades from
              > > Harbor Freight).
              > > >

              > > > --- In

              > > blade.

              > > stock
              > > multi-task,
              > > its

            • Jerry Durand
              Message 6 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
                On 02/12/2013 05:37 AM, notfilc64 wrote:

                > There are 903 teeth on a 64.5 inch blade with 14 teeth per inch,each of which are only momentarily cutting in a 1.25 diameter workpiece. The rest of the time each tooth is air cooling as it travels round the pulleys. On a machine this small the cutting pressures and speed do not need coolant. If you feel the blade after a cut it isn't even warm. On a lathe with a single tooth cutting all the time it's a different story. Coolant on the 4x6 simply makes a mess and further complication. Now cutting oil is another story.

                While that's true the workpiece itself heats up. Also, some metals may
                tend to gall. I find using soluble oil gives a better finish.

                tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
                Skype: jerrydurand
              • Bill Armstrong
                Message 7 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
                  98% of cutting I do is dry. I only use coolant when I'm working with thick material, and a lot of it.
                  1-1/4" 1018 or A36......I'd cut it dry, unless I was making a whole lot of cuts.

                  Bill

                  To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                  From: clevinski@...
                  Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:40:16 +0000

                  Thanks to everyone for their comments. I am using a quality bi-metal
                  blade, which several of you mentioned.

                  I notice that a lot of you cut dry, especially when you don't use the
                  saw too often. I also am not a very heavy "cutter". Am I being overly
                  cautious, then, spraying coolant from a hand sprayer for cutting a 1-1/4
                  inch diameter bar of mild steel?

                  Charlie

                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "joe_dirt1966" wrote:

                  > X2. Dry cut + good quality BiMetal blade (not SuperCut blades from
                  Harbor Freight).

                  > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Robert Blodinger wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I cut dry and usually at the middle speed using a good BiMetal
                  blade.

                  > > Bob
                  > >
                  > > Sent from my iPad 2
                  > >

                  > > On Feb 10, 2013, at 5:03 PM, "CLevinski" wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi...
                  > > >
                  > > > I've read over the months that many users let their bandsaw cut
                  stock
                  > > > while they work on other tasks in the shop. I stand there and use
                  > > > spray bottle of Kool-Mist as it cuts. Since I'd like to
                  multi-task,
                  > > > too, I'd like to ask this question; if you let your bandsaw cut on
                  its
                  > > > own, have you equipped it with a coolant system? If you're using a
                  > > > coolant system, what does it consist of?
                  > > >
                  > > > Many thanks for any comments...
                  > > >
                  > > > Charlie

                • Duane Petersen
                  Message 8 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
                      Duane

                      Likewise for all your coolant modification, but don't use a valve to control the flow. I made a brass tank fitting to return the coolant to a plastic box containing the pump. A magnet on the outside of the box collects the magnetic swarf and a barrier in the box collects the non magnetic swarf by settlement. I have a Youtube video cutting 8 inch wide steel plate, see:
                      <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl2qnvm8utg>

                      Malcolm

                      Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                      The writing is on the wall.

                      To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com From: clevinski@... Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:40:16 +0000 Subject: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Coolant?
                      Message 10 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
                        I am using a clear coolant that is made in grand rapids,mi that is good for 20 below O . I keep my saw in a unheated area and don't want the coolant to freeze.Water based coolants would freeze.

                        GP

                        To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com From: clevinski@... Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:40:16 +0000 Subject: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Coolant?

                        Message 11 of 27 , Feb 12, 2013
                          Paul

                          It is -9'C, 15.8'F here today in my unheated workshop, I have never had a problem with miscible coolant freezing. I use Akwesol 544, but the data does not give a freezing point

                          Malcolm

                          Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                          The writing is on the wall.

                          To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com From: clevinski@... Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 02:40:16 +0000 Subject: [4x6bandsaw] Re: Coolant?