Gear box leakage and oil to use

  • CLevinski
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
      Hi,

      I've only had mine a short time, and I left it in the down position when
      not in use. I noticed some oil, not a huge amount but enough to make a
      3 inch diameter circle, under the gear box a week later. I checked the
      bolts, and they were all dead loose! I could remove them with my
      fingers. I tightened them up and that seems to have stopped the
      leaking, but I don't know how much oil I've lost. So I'm going to open
      it up and clean out the gear box (I guess that's a good idea anyway).
      The question is, what type of oil should I use to fill the gearbox? Any
      suggestions?

      Thanks,
      Charlie

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan2778@...> wrote:

      > Hi Folks!
      >
      > A simple easy mod to check and fill the gear box on a common 4 x 6
      metal
      > cutting bandsaw.
      > My saw seems to have a blade lubricator built-in that I didn't know
      > about!
      > Really the seal leaks slightly and the oil ends up on the blade.
      This
      > is probably a bad seal, but could be heat building up a little
      > pressure, very little I know.
      > In the gear box cover, Put the vented one high, and the other one as
      low
      > as you want your oil level to be.
      > These are 1/4" brass pipe thread, the top one with a vent hole drilled
      > in it. The drill size is 7/16"
      > Turn the vent hole down to keep clean.
      > I see no reason that more oil, a higher level will hurt anything.
      > It took almost a year for 1/4 of the oil in mine to leak. If it gets
      > worse, I will replace the seal.
      > The pictures are here.
      > http://www.toolfools.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg314#msg314
      > <http://www.toolfools.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg314#msg314>
      >
      > Stan
      > http://www.toolfools.com/forum <http://www.toolfools.com/forum>

    • Carl Hollopeter
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
        Charlie,
        Yep, if you haven’t already cleaned out the gear box, do it now. Most come with “crud” from the factory. After sucking all the goop out with a turkey baster (not anymore LOL), I used WD-40 and a stiff brush to scrub it well and sucked all that out also. Use SAE 140 WT oil to fill it to the edge in the horizontal position. I got mine at Tractor Supply Co.

        Carl H

        --- In mailto:4x6bandsaw%40yahoogroups.com, "Stan" <stan2778@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks!

        simple easy mod to check and fill the gear box on a common 4 x 6
        metal
        > cutting bandsaw.
        > My saw seems to have a blade
        lubricator built-in that I didn't know
        > about!
        > Really the seal
        leaks slightly and the oil ends up on the blade.
        This
        > is probably a
        bad seal, but could be heat building up a little
        > pressure, very little I
        know.
        > In the gear box cover, Put the vented one high, and the other one
        as
        low
        > as you want your oil level to be.
        > These are 1/4" brass
        pipe thread, the top one with a vent hole drilled
        > in it. The drill size
        is 7/16"
        > Turn the vent hole down to keep clean.
        > I see no reason
        that more oil, a higher level will hurt anything.
        > It took almost a year
        for 1/4 of the oil in mine to leak. If it gets
        > worse, I will replace the
        seal.

        href="http://www.toolfools.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg314#msg314">http://www.toolfools.com/forum/index.php?topic=146.msg314#msg314

        href="http://www.toolfools.com/forum">http://www.toolfools.com/forum <http://www.toolfools.com/forum>

      • wa5cab@cs.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
          SAE 90 or 85W90.  Same thing as typically used in automotive differentials and manual gearboxes in temperate climates.

          In a message dated 12/02/2012 17:33:57 PM Central Standard Time, clevinski@... writes:
          Hi,

          I've only had mine a short time, and I left it in the down position when
          not in use.  I noticed some oil, not a huge amount but enough to make a
          3 inch diameter circle, under the gear box a week later.  I checked the
          bolts, and they were all dead loose!  I could remove them with my
          fingers.  I tightened them up and that seems to have stopped the
          leaking, but I don't know how much oil I've lost.  So I'm going to open
          it up and clean out the gear box (I guess that's a good idea anyway).
          The question is, what type of oil should I use to fill the gearbox?  Any
          suggestions?

          Thanks,
          Charlie

          Robert Downs - Houston
          wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
          MVPA 9480
        • CLevinski
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
            Thanks, Carl, that's just what I was looking for!

            Charlie

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
              Thanks, Robin... as the saw is in the cellar, it's always around room
              temperature, so I guess that's equivalent to a "temperate climate"!

              Charlie

            • wa5cab@cs.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                Charlie,

                Yes.  SAE 140 wouldn't hurt anything so long as the ambient temperature doesn't fall below say 50 F or so.  But it isn't necessary.  Except that if you had a leaking shaft seal and didn't want to change it, the 140 would retard the leakage rate a little.

                Robert

                In a message dated 12/02/2012 17:59:42 PM Central Standard Time, clevinski@... writes:
                Thanks, Robert... as the saw is in the cellar, it's always around room
                temperature, so I guess that's equivalent to a "temperate climate"!

                Charlie

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

                >SAE 90 or 85W90.  Same thing as typically used in automotive
                differentials
                >and manual gearboxes in temperate climates.
                >
                >In a message dated 12/02/2012 17:33:57 PM Central Standard Time,
                >clevinski@... writes:
                >>Hi,
                >>
                >>I've only had mine a short time, and I left it in the down position
                when
                >>not in use.  I noticed some oil, not a huge amount but enough to
                make a
                >>3 inch diameter circle, under the gear box a week later.  I checked
                the
                >>bolts, and they were all dead loose!  I could remove them with my
                >>fingers.  I tightened them up and that seems to have stopped the
                >>leaking, but I don't know how much oil I've lost.  So I'm going to
                open
                >>it up and clean out the gear box (I guess that's a good idea
                anyway).
                >>The question is, what type of oil should I use to fill the gearbox?
                Any
                >>suggestions?
                >>
                >>Thanks,
                >>Charlie
                >
                >Robert Downs - Houston

                Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
                MVPA 9480
              • Carl Hollopeter
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                  The manual actually specifies 140Wt:

                  image

                  Carl H

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 2, 2012
                    OK.  One of my two manuals only mentions SAE 30 for some external points.  The other says, for the gearbox, Gulf Medium Gear Oil.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 3, 2012
                      Guys,

                      Duh. For some reason, I didn't think to look in the manual. Mine is a
                      Harbor Freight, and it says: "Remove the old oil from inside the Gear
                      Box and replace the oil using 140 weight gear oil. The new oil should
                      just come to the edge of the Gear Box. Do not overfill." The photo of
                      the gear box shown has only four bolts for the cover, though, while mine
                      has six bolts.

                      Thanks to you both for the info...

                      Charlie

                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@... wrote:

                      > OK. One of my two manuals only mentions SAE 30 for some external
                      points.
                      > The other says, for the gearbox, Gulf Medium Gear Oil.
                      >
                      > In a message dated 12/02/2012 20:41:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                      > chollo@... writes:
                      > > The manual actually specifies 140Wt:
                      > >

                      > > Carl H
                      > >

                      > Robert Downs - Houston
                      > wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
                      > MVPA 9480

                    • joe_dirt1966
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 3, 2012
                        I have had Super Tech 75W-140 Synthetic Gear Oil (from Walmart)in my saw for the past 2-3 years. The specifications say, "Protects against rust, foam, high temperature, and corrosion of copper or bronze bushings.

                        I changed the gear box oil this morning. The oil was a dirty brown color but the gears looked fine (shiny). A turkey baster works well to remove the old oil.

                        1 Quart will cover 3-4 oil changes.

                        Walmart Link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-75W-140-Synthetic-Gear-Oil-1-Quart/16795247

                        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "CLevinski" <clevinski@...> wrote:

                        > Guys,
                        >
                        > Duh. For some reason, I didn't think to look in the manual. Mine is a
                        > Harbor Freight, and it says: "Remove the old oil from inside the Gear
                        > Box and replace the oil using 140 weight gear oil. The new oil should
                        > just come to the edge of the Gear Box. Do not overfill." The photo of
                        > the gear box shown has only four bolts for the cover, though, while mine
                        > has six bolts.
                        >
                        > Thanks to you both for the info...
                        >
                        > Charlie
                        >

                        > --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, wa5cab@ wrote:
                        > >
                        > > OK. One of my two manuals only mentions SAE 30 for some external
                        > points.
                        > > The other says, for the gearbox, Gulf Medium Gear Oil.
                        > >
                        > > In a message dated 12/02/2012 20:41:51 PM Central Standard Time,
                        > > chollo@ writes:
                        > > > The manual actually specifies 140Wt:
                        > > >

                        > > > Carl H
                        > > >

                        > > Robert Downs - Houston