Bandsaw seat

  • drmico60
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
      I found sitting on the bandsaw vice not very comfortable when using the bandsaw in the vertical mode so I made a seat to clamp in the vice. This is definitely more comfortable. More details here:
      http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-seat.html
      Mike
    • Keith Yoak
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
        Thanks Mike, Could you show a little more on your foundry. I'm very interested in this idea.
        Could you elaborate on your set up?

        Keith M. Yoak
        zylotcommand@...

      • wa5cab@cs.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
          Good idea there.  Likewise some of the other mods.

          In a message dated 11/05/2012 06:10:10 AM Central Standard Time, mikey.cox@... writes:
          I found sitting on the bandsaw vice not very comfortable when using the bandsaw in the vertical mode so I made a seat to clamp in the vice. This is definitely more comfortable. More details here:
          http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-seat.html
          Mike

          Robert Downs - Houston
          wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
          MVPA 9480
        • Neil Butterfield
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012

            Check the 4x6bandsaw Photo’s for neilaz Modifications, my Low Profile Stand and Vertical Table/Seat. Shows a fold-up seat similar to Mike’s plus a nice band saw table. Photo’s have been there since 2008.

            Neil

            I found sitting on the bandsaw vice not very comfortable when using the bandsaw in the vertical mode so I made a seat to clamp in the vice. This is definitely more comfortable. More details here:
            http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-seat.html
            Mike

          • n5fee
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
              I made a foldup seat / table combination like this 7 or 8 years ago. I am pretty shure it was published somewhere like Homeshop Machinist. It looks just like the one in the neilaz folder you reference I have spent probably a 100 hours sitting on it over that time span. It is really easy to install and remove, so I do not hesitate to install it for even a single use. It folds up to a nice flat package and is easy to store. I recommend it. If you look closely in the photos you see a pair of hinges that lets the seat surface fold up and another set of hinges that let the table fold down.

              Dallas

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Butterfield" <neilbfield@...> wrote:

              > Check the 4x6bandsaw Photo's for neilaz Modifications, my Low Profile Stand
              > and Vertical Table/Seat. Shows a fold-up seat similar to Mike's plus a nice
              > band saw table. Photo's have been there since 2008.
              >

              > Neil

            • Neil Butterfield
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012

                Yes, the fold-up seat/table was in the Sep/Oct 1997 issue of Home Shop Machinist magazine and the low profile base was in the Jan/Feb 1994 issue.

                Neil

                I made a foldup seat / table combination like this 7 or 8 years ago. I am pretty shure it was published somewhere like Homeshop Machinist. It looks just like the one in the neilaz folder you reference I have spent probably a 100 hours sitting on it over that time span. It is really easy to install and remove, so I do not hesitate to install it for even a single use. It folds up to a nice flat package and is easy to store. I recommend it. If you look closely in the photos you see a pair of hinges that lets the seat surface fold up and another set of hinges that let the table fold down.

                Dallas

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Neil Butterfield" <neilbfield@...> wrote:

                > Check the 4x6bandsaw Photo's for neilaz Modifications, my Low Profile Stand
                > and Vertical Table/Seat. Shows a fold-up seat similar to Mike's plus a nice
                > band saw table. Photo's have been there since 2008.
                >

                > Neil

              • jim_klessig
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                  --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "drmico60" <mikey.cox@...> wrote:

                  > I found sitting on the bandsaw vice not very comfortable when using the bandsaw in the vertical mode so I made a seat to clamp in the vice. This is definitely more comfortable. More details here:
                  > http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-seat.html
                  > Mike

                  And there, he said

                  "The bandsaw stand forces the operator to stand well to the right of the saw blade whereas to be comfortable he should really be standing directly in front of the blade."

                  Nver thought about it, but being a leftie, I have always found it comfortable just where it wants me to be.

                  "In addition the bandsaw table is quite low and the operator must bend down to get a good view of the cut."

                  Then raise the saw. If it is too low for vertical use,(which it is) then it is also way too low for horizontal work. I use a much higher stand, but I would never sit on it, it isn't that much better than the factory one.
                • Nelson T.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                    Very nice mod Mike, solves a problem.

                    Nelson T.

                    I found sitting on the bandsaw vice not very comfortable when using the bandsaw in the vertical mode so I made a seat to clamp in the vice. This is definitely more comfortable. More details here: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-seat.html Mike
                  • TC WELLS
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                      Oddly enough, I had a thought along that very line today as I sat and did a little contour sawing. Then I saw your excellent implementation. I might just have to copy your idea!

                      To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
                      From: im_all_thumbz@...
                      Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:54:50 -0800

                      Very nice mod Mike, solves a problem.

                      Nelson T.

                      I found sitting on the bandsaw vice not very comfortable when using the bandsaw in the vertical mode so I made a seat to clamp in the vice. This is definitely more comfortable. More details here: http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-seat.html Mike

                      --Forwarded Message Attachment--
                      Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 13:51:38 -0800
                      From: im_all_thumbz@...
                      Subject: Re: [4x6bandsaw] Bandsaw seat
                      To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                        Hi Keith,
                        I thought I had covered the construction of the furnace and burner fairly well on my website. Can you be more specific where you need further information.
                        Mike

                        --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Keith Yoak <zylotcommand@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks Mike, Could you show a little more on your foundry. I'm very interested in this idea.
                        > Could you elaborate on your set up?
                        >
                        > Keith M. Yoak
                        > zylotcommand@...

                      • Snag
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                            You have in great detail. I did not see the pages dedicated to the explanation of your furnace build. Thanks for the great info

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Nov 5, 2012, at 5:42 PM, "drmico60" <mikey.cox@...> wrote:

                            Hi Keith,
                            I thought I had covered the construction of the furnace and burner fairly well on my website. Can you be more specific where you need further information.
                            Mike

                            --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Keith Yoak <zylotcommand@...> wrote:

                            > Thanks Mike, Could you show a little more on your foundry. I'm very interested in this idea.
                            > Could you elaborate on your set up?
                            >
                            > Keith M. Yoak
                            > zylotcommand@...

                          • EdwinB
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 5, 2012
                              I'm with you, Jim. Being a lefty, the vertical position isn't a problem, and since my saw is mounted on a 2-drawer file on a roll-around base, it's too tall to sit on.

                              Regards,
                              Ed