Adjustable inner bearing

  • haydut1200
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
      I had a problem today where my saw began cutting at an angle, and I noticed the blade had a ridge along the top. I didn't have a new blade handy but I began checking all the settings on the saw only for it to start throwing the blade off. Eventually I noticed that the inner blade bearings are adjustable and I soon had it cutting straight again. The cause was the 16mm A/F nut holding one of the bearings had come loose.

      No big deal you might think, but everything I have read says the inner bearing is not adjustable, so hopefully the info may be of use to someone in the future.

      For the record, my saw is Clarke CBS45MD sold by Machine Mart in the UK
      http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cbs45md-41-2in-x-6in-metal-cutting-ban

      I bought my saw in 1998 and it looks the only change over the years has been a slight change in the electrics. The hole for the original rubber grommet for the cable is still in the top of the frame. Not that any of the original electrics are left on my saw.:)

      Martin.
    • Clem Wixted
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
        Looks like the front and back legs are reversed in the picture.

        On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM, haydut1200 <haydut1200@...> wrote:

[...]

      • Malcolm Parker-Lisberg
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
          Clem

          They moved the handle to the heavy end, you can just see it in the picture.

          Malcolm

          Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
          The writing is on the wall.

[...]

            Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
            wa5cab dot com (Web Store)
            MVPA 9480
          • Haydut1200
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
              When I bought mine, the instructions were for the handle and wheels to
              be same as in the picture, but I swapped them end for end, mainly
              because of where the saw is kept. I rarely need to move the saw unless I
              have anything longer than about 24" to cut, so mine still has the
              original stand.

              Martin.

            • wa5cab@cs.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
                Mine had the wheels on the heavy (motor) end when I acquired it used 30 odd years ago.  And that's how two similar but different model number Enco manuals show them.  If you pick up the handle on the light end, it doesn't matter if that end flexes a little.  The majority of the weight doesn't rock from side to side because it is supported mostly by the wheels that are solidly on the floor.  Assembled the other way, almost the entire weight, which has its CG approximately at the level of the top of the motor, moves from side to side as the frame flexes.  And it will turn over more easily.as it has oscillating lateral momentum.

                Others have complained about the flimsiness of the frame.  Maybe mine is stiffer because its older but when you pull out the handle and lift the front legs off the floor you can see a little flex.  But with all four legs on the floor, it is quite stiff and stable.

                Robert D

                In a message dated 10/03/2012 15:27:32 PM Central Daylight Time, haydut1200@... writes:
                When I bought mine, the instructions were for the handle and wheels to
                be same as in the picture, but I swapped them end for end, mainly
                because of where the saw is kept. I rarely need to move the saw unless I
                have anything longer than about 24" to cut, so mine still has the
                original stand.

                Martin.

                Malcolm Parker-Lisberg wrote:

                >Clem
                >
                >They moved the handle to the heavy end, you can just see it in the picture.
                >
                >Malcolm

                >I don't suffer from insanity I enjoy it!
                >Mene, mene, tekel, upharsin
                >The writing is on the wall.

                Robert & Susan Downs - Houston
                wa5cab dot com (Web Store)