45 deg cuts on 4 in. tubing

  • Ralph Meiser
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2004
      Conventional wisdom says you can't make a 45 deg. cut on 4in. square
      tube on one of these saws. I did it for the second time today and
      thought I'd pass on the tricks to set up.

      First, the movable jaw won't retract enough when the front jaw is set
      to 45 deg. I roughly measured it at 3 1/2in. The secret is to
      disconnect the fixed jaw pivot and move the fixed jaw inboard to the
      allow the 4" piece to fit forward of the movable jaw. I set the fixed
      jaw up with my 45 deg. testing off the blade run, then locked it down
      with the single locking screw. I then set in the piece to be cut and
      firmed up the movable jaw.

      Several precautions here.
      1st precut your piece to the long side of the 45 plus about 1/8"

      2nd make sure your upper blade guide is in the full up position.
      Clearance decreases as you cut. I removed the guard over the
      bearings to get enough clearance. You can also get a little clearance
      by stopping the saw and hitting the front edge of the piece your
      cutting with an angle grinder after the blade passes.

      3rd Don't walk away while it's cutting. This isn't the best setup and
      you want to be able to stop it if trouble develops. I scribed my
      pieces to track the cut so I could stop it if something shifted.

      It appears the saw bed could be modified to gain additional movable
      jaw movement. If this was something I was doing on a continual basis
      I would look at milling the slot longer.

      And to think I used to use a torch and grinder!

      Ralph Meiser