Blade slips off

  • dwood1481
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      This message contains a plea for help!

      I've uploaded a photo
      (http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/g_4861259/__hr_BandSaw.jpg?
      bczWn69Abtm.rT9G)
      of my Central Machinery S-37151 saw, which I believe fits in with all
      the others in this group. I've tried to get help from some of the
      groups that may overlap—Sherline, Home_Machinist, Little_Machines. I
      got a number of replies, but none of them seem to help.

      The problem is that the blade consistently comes off the top (when
      the arm is upright) wheel.

      The manual (page 16) gives a procedure for adjusting the blade
      tracking. In my photo, the bolts marked D and E correspond to the
      callouts on page 16.

      For openers, I was leery of the instructions to make these
      adjustments with the machine running and the wheel cover open. Sorry,
      we didn't do it that way—closed the door each time before turning it
      on; and it's a good thing, because the blade would have been spinning
      across the garage. Consequently, we were never able to follow the
      adjustment procedure, which directs us to make the adjustments while
      the machine is running.

      We (my son and I—I needed moral support) found that the two wheels
      were not in the same plane. We checked this with a long straightedge.
      By moving adjustment bold D in and out, we were able to even them up
      in the same plane. But it soon became evident that the top wheel had
      both a pitch and a yaw problem, which we assumed that we could
      correct the pitch by adjusting bolt E, which we were able to do to
      some degree. But the wheel is still yawing enough to throw the blade
      off in just a revolution or two, and I can find no way to adjust the
      yaw.

      What are we doing wrong? How do we go about fixing this thing?

      Thanks,

      Dave Wood
    • S. Foo
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
        Welcome, you're in the right place.

        If the saw is new or very recently purchased, I'd return it. If you
        can't, then I'd try to take the upper wheel off and see if something
        was worn. HarborFreight sells replacement parts for the saw.
        Hopefully one of the more experienced saw users will have more
        insightful answers.