Re: Down feed cylinder

  • drmico60
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012
      It can be done. See:
      Http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/bandsaw-hydraulic-cylinder.html
      Mike

      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "Snag" <snag_one@...> wrote:

      > GRANT MELVILLE wrote:
      > > I thought for a moment he was talking about fabricating a hydraulic
      > > cylinder from scratch.
      >
      > A nice piece of seamless tubing , a lathe , a few o-rings , a needle valve
      > ... why not ?
      > --
      > Snag
      > Learning keeps
      > you young !

    • Guenther Paul
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012

        Yes Grant
        I want to fabricate a cylinder from scratch.
        GP

        From: Carl Hollopeter <chollo@...>
        To: 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, May 31, 2012, 5:07 PM

        Paul,
          Visit the group site and look around. There are many variations discussed and shown there, also several sources of parts  listed.
        Carl H

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012
          On 5/31/2012 10:07 PM, Snag wrote:
          > ... why not ?
          > --
          > Snag
          My thoughts, as well.
          This is a low pressure application. I would think a bicycle pump and
          some plumbing and transmission fluid would do the trick.
          Hell, i'd bet you could use PVC pipe. HMMM...

          --

          Ron Thompson

          Think, Draw, Print. 3D printers ROCK!

          http://www.plansandprojects.com/My%20Machines/PrusaMendel2012-1/

          Visit the castinghobby FAQ:
        • Guenther Paul
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012
            Thanks Guys
            Thank you for the info on the down feed cylinders
            GP

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012
              See message 11110. This might help.

              --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, Guenther Paul <paulguenter@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Guys
              > Thank you for the info on the down feed cylinders
              > GP
              >

              > ________________________________

            • davekelloggs
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 1, 2012
                Just as a benchmark, Grizzley will sell as a replacement part a complete cylinder for a similar sized saw (5" x 6" swivel mast) for $208.25.

                BWI -- Seems that you would need a check valve that would allow rapidly lifting the saw. Either this is built into the needle falve assy, or maybe into the face of the piston in the cylinder.

                --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "paulguenter@..." <paulguenter@...> wrote:

                > Does any one in the group have drawing to build a down feed cylinder similar to the one that is sold with new saws
                > Thanks

              • GRANT MELVILLE
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 2, 2012
                  I believe that type of building mostly required being able to source the proper parts. if you work at some sort of industrial supply and can get everything with out driving all over the place or spending a shit ton on shipping I would build all kinds of crazy stuff.

                  > I thought for a moment he was talking about fabricating a hydraulic
                  > cylinder from scratch.

                    A nice piece of seamless tubing , a lathe , a few o-rings , a needle valve
                  ... why not ?
                  --
                  Snag
                  Learning keeps
                  you young !

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:
                      4x6bandsaw-digest@yahoogroups.com
                      4x6bandsaw-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • GRANT MELVILLE
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 2, 2012
                    that's fn' rad.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 2, 2012
                       damn I just deconstructed a bike pump. I should have used it for that. Maybe next time.

                      Just as a benchmark, Grizzley will sell as a replacement part a complete cylinder for a similar sized saw (5" x 6" swivel mast) for $208.25.

                      BWI -- Seems that you would need a check valve that would allow rapidly lifting the saw.  Either this is built into the needle falve assy, or maybe into the face of the piston in the cylinder.

                      --- In 4x6bandsaw@yahoogroups.com, "paulguenter@..." <paulguenter@...> wrote:

                      > Does any one in the group have drawing to build a down feed cylinder similar to the one that is sold with new saws
                      > Thanks

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          4x6bandsaw-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          4x6bandsaw-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Snag
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 3, 2012
                        Ron Thompson wrote:
                        > On 5/31/2012 10:07 PM, Snag wrote:
                        >> ... why not ?
                        >> --
                        >> Snag
                        > My thoughts, as well.
                        > This is a low pressure application. I would think a bicycle pump and
                        > some plumbing and transmission fluid would do the trick.
                        > Hell, i'd bet you could use PVC pipe. HMMM...

                        Just gettin' caight up , spent the weekend at my Annual Spring Drunken
                        Biker Party . PVC sounds like the ideal solution ! And I think I might have
                        a piece that'll work , and some 1/4 drill rod for the piston rod , and , and
                        Snag
                        Learning keeps
                        you young !