Ford officially kills E-series/Econoline, replaces with Transit van

  • Ray White
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 8, 2012
    • rcorselli
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 8, 2012
        Yay! More hope and change! (Let's change it; hope they buy it). I'll just keep my trusty old E350 Quigley and replace the motor with a solar powered V10 in the future.

        --- In 4x4van@yahoogroups.com, Ray White <rwwhite1@...> wrote:

        > http://jalopnik.com/5866019/ford-officially-kills-e+serieseconoline-replaces
        > -with-transit-van
        >
        > Ray
        >
        > rw4x4van

      • Seth
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 19, 2012
          HA! Nice.

          BTW, was talking to the owner of the Ford dealership I deal with daily. He told me that corporate said Ford is NOT going to discontinue the E-series, at least for now. The plan is to offer the full size Transit along with the E-series and see how they do. Possibly to offer the E-vans to EMS, RV mfg's ect.. if the Transits take off or just offer both. But 2014 is not the end of the E-vans, at this time. Hopefully his info is correct.:D big grin

          Yay! More hope and change! (Let's change it; hope they buy it). I'll just keep my trusty old E350 Quigley and replace the motor with a solar powered V10 in the future.

          --- In 4x4van@yahoogroups.com, Ray White <rwwhite1@...> wrote:

          > http://jalopnik.com/5866019/ford-officially-kills-e+serieseconoline-replaces
          > -with-transit-van
          >
          > Ray
          >
          > rw4x4van

        • Seth
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 19, 2012
            This is the ugliest van on the planet ! I believe this will prove to be a mistake by Ford. And if it sticks, at least we have Chevy/GMC vans,  for now.

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 19, 2012

              I hope your info is right… I for one, would like me to see Ford offer both.. and see if there is a market for the two

              I’ve been driving my Quigley for 20 years, but still would like to have a Sprinter/Transit type for business

              Ray

              href="http://jalopnik.com/5866019/ford-officially-kills-e+serieseconoline-replaces" target="_blank">http://jalopnik.com/5866019/ford-officially-kills-e+serieseconoline-replaces
              > -with-transit-van
              >
              > Ray
              >
              > rw4x4van

            • Chris Steuber
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 19, 2012
                I've heard this as well, hope it's true.

                Chris Steuber
                818.606.5206

                On Feb 19, 2012, at 7:10 PM, Ray White <rwwhite1@...> wrote:

                I hope your info is right… I for one, would like me to see Ford offer both.. and see if there is a market for the two

                I’ve been driving my Quigley for 20 years, but still would like to have a Sprinter/Transit type for business

                Ray

                BTW, was talking to the owner of the Ford dealership I deal with daily. He told me that corporate said Ford is NOT going to discontinue the E-series, at least for now. The plan is to offer the full size Transit along with the E-series and see how they do. Possibly to offer the E-vans to EMS , RV mfg's ect.. if the Transits take off or just offer both. But 2014 is not the end of the E-vans, at this time. Hopefully his info is correct.:D big grin

                Yay! More hope and change! (Let's change it; hope they buy it). I'll just keep my trusty old E350 Quigley and replace the motor with a solar powered V10 in the future.

                --- In 4x4van@yahoogroups.com, Ray White <rwwhite1@...> wrote:

                > http://jalopnik.com/5866019/ford-officially-kills-e+serieseconoline-replaces
                > -with-transit-van
                >
                > Ray
                >
                > rw4x4van

                =
              • Steven
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 21, 2012
                  Motor Trend reports the E-Series will be sold along side the full sized Transit. Ford did not tell them about plans past 2014.

                  It is simple why...Ford would not be able to match all the configurations presently offered in the E-Series during the first year. It will take time to roll-out the full-line.
                  See my previous msg about how Ford already Trade Mark'd the T150 - T450 names.

                  But in the EU, the Transit comes in many different configuations like front wheel drive, AWD, RWD, Dually, Cab Chassis...etc.

                  It is pretty ugly, but IMHO the Nissan NV takes the UUUGLY award for all new vans on the market.

                  The "other" Steve

                  --- In 4x4van@yahoogroups.com, Seth <cfh421@...> wrote:

                  > HA! Nice.
                  >

                  > BTW, was talking to the owner of the Ford dealership I deal with daily. He told me that corporate said Ford is NOT going to discontinue the E-series, at least for now. The plan is to offer the full size Transit along with the E-series and see how they do. Possibly to offer the E-vans to EMS, RV mfg's ect.. if the Transits take off or just offer both. But 2014 is not the end of the E-vans, at this time. Hopefully his info is correct.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • cxdieselpallas
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 21, 2012
                    Also many fleet buyers that might be inclined to replace their existing E-series vans with new E-series vans are not going to buy something else just because it says "Ford" on it. Sort of like when Ford dropped the Crown Victoria that was a popular police car. The police didn't simply switch to another Ford model, many switched to Chevrolet and Dodge police cars.

                    I think a fleet buyer would at least take a look at Nissan, Chevrolet, and Sprinter vans if the E-series disappeared, since the other makes already have aftermarket accessories available.

                    Ford will probably offer some generous incentives to switch E-series users over to the T-series.

                    Mike in Florida

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                      We're trying to stay with diesels at work ( Action EMS ). We've had a Demers Sprinter come by. There really isnt more room inside other than the height and the doors are as tall as the van making it easier to get in and out. But the fuel economy is much better, comparing them to the V-10 and V8 gas Ford's. But this particular Sprinter ambulance is $80k. We can get a V8 E350 van/ambulance for $43k. and parts/maintenance is allot less for the Ford's.  Maybe we should install the Mercedes V6 diesel in the Ford, problem solved :D big grin
                        I suggested going with Chevy chassis, diesel still being available but they don't have the GVWR the Ford's have. I seriously doubt the Transit will have the GVW of the E-series.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 24, 2012
                        Mercedes V6 diesel? I saw one being installed at Deetz' and I can tell you, that's a damn good idea, Seth! (it was going into a Jeep though-but could be done in the van)http://www.deetzperformancespecialties.com/index.html

                        --- In 4x4van@yahoogroups.com, Seth <cfh421@...> wrote:

                        > We're trying to stay with diesels at work ( Action EMS ). We've had a Demers Sprinter come by. There really isnt more room inside other than the height and the doors are as tall as the van making it easier to get in and out. But the fuel economy is much better, comparing them to the V-10 and V8 gas Ford's. But this particular Sprinter ambulance is $80k. We can get a V8 E350 van/ambulance for $43k. and parts/maintenance is allot less for the Ford's.  Maybe we should install the Mercedes V6 diesel in the Ford, problem solved
                        >
                        >  I suggested going with Chevy chassis, diesel still being available but they don't have the GVWR the Ford's have. I seriously doubt the Transit will have the GVW of the E-series.

                      • Shaun Feakes
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 1, 2012

                          When you look at the MPG of Sprinter conversions, it's not all that great.  Seems they don't get even close to the MPG of an unloaded van. My diesel E350 doesn't seem to be effected MPG wise with weight at all, or even towing. Only head wind seems to make significant MPG change.
                          Think I'd be more inclined to put a cummings diesel in it if I was going to swap it out, mind you the VW/Audi diesel with ~500hp & 800 lb/tq would get a lookin..:)