a "new 4AD"

  • lbigbilbo
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2011
      Hi everyone. Just a little about myself and what I am looking for here.
      first about myself, I live in Boston Mass, USA but don't tell that to anyone or I'll deny it. The first 4AD group I really liked was "Bauhaus" and one of their side projects "Tones On Tail" though I never liked "Love and Rockets". I first heard "Cocteau Twins" somewhere around 84-85 (we colonists are a little slow on the uptake) but they didn't get a lot of play in this hillbilly country. The First song I remember by them was "Pearly Dewdrops' Drops" and I think there were a couple of others between 85 & 90. But at that point in my life I did not buy recorded music mainly because I couldn't afford it. At that time I also discovered another group I liked, "Dead Can Dance". When I bought my first computer around 1998-2000 my kids turned me on to P2P sites. While I was looking for songs to download I remembered having liked "Cocteau Twins and "Dead Can Dance" back in the 80's but i couldn't remember the titles of the songs liked so I just started downloading everything I could find by "C T" & "D C D". I was pleasantly surprised that each and every song I downloaded by these two groups became my new favorite song, till the next one came along. I was kicking myself for not having looked into these two groups earlier. then I found out about 4AD and Ivo Watts-Russel and his pet project "This Mortal Coil". I was very despondent to find out that he sold the Label and retired. All I could think was that the world needed a new Ivo someone with his insights and his commitment to presenting good music to the world. Just recently, I think I may have stumbled across a new Label that has got me really stoked it is Projekt Records. they have or have had some really good groups such as "Autumn's Grey Solice" and Love Spirals Downward" and a few more i can't remember off the top of my head. (It kinda sucks being old and retired now I barely remember what I had for breakfast. I tell all my friends and family that if it wasn't for acid flash backs i wouldn't have any memory at all.

      Well that was longer than i planned and I probably bored half of you to death and the other half are saying "We need stricter standards on who we let in here". If any one does have any questions for me or any suggestions, like "Drop dead old man" please let me know.

      Thanks Bill,
    • geopart
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2011
        Hi Bill and welcome aboard.

        If you had been listening to a show hosted by Oedipus on WBCN back then you would have discovered a lot of great indy music.
        For the record, Cocteau Twins played at the Paradise club circa 1985-1986 and it was sold out. Also, Tones on Tail played at the Channel circa 1983-1984 to a disappointing (numerically) crowd. Love & Rockets played at the Spit and Modern English played at the Paradise. Where were you? Oh, and I am almost sure that Bauhaus played somewhere in Boston but I missed it.