Re: [POLL- KIND OF] Last 4ad seminal artist?

  • jo
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 14, 2004
      --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "bobbomallo" <sir_giorgio@l...> wrote:
      > Now, here's my question: who, among the ones who signed for 4ad, say,
      > in the last then years, will last for the next decades? Whom will we
      > listening to in 2020 just like we listen to Cocteau Twins now?

      ooh - good question... I don't know... it's weird, because 20 years ago seems so recent,
      and a lot of the music I listened to then, I can see myself always listening to (Echo and the
      Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, New Order, Cocteau Twins)... I don't hear bands like that
      nowadays - anywhere... I'd like to think I'd probably still listen to The Breeders, as they
      have a constant pop thing going on, and haven't sounded dated... Throwing Muses too,
      although they could almost qualify for the 20 years! So they probably don't count...

      TV On The Radio maybe? The artists signed to 4AD at the moment, and indeed of late, I do
      like, but I couldn't say I'd still be playing the records in 15 years time... I could be proved
      wrong :) For some reason, the only band I can think of in the way I'd think of the bands I
      mentioned was Interpol... not sure why..!
    • Altonspeed
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 17, 2005
        --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "jo" <indiekid_uk@y...> wrote:

        > --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "bobbomallo" <sir_giorgio@l...>
        wrote:
        > > Now, here's my question: who, among the ones who signed for 4ad,
        say,
        > > in the last then years, will last for the next decades? Whom
        will we
        > > listening to in 2020 just like we listen to Cocteau Twins now?
        >
        > ooh - good question... I don't know... it's weird, because 20
        years ago seems so recent,
        > and a lot of the music I listened to then, I can see myself always
        listening to (Echo and the
        > Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes, New Order, Cocteau Twins)... I don't
        hear bands like that
        > nowadays - anywhere... I'd like to think I'd probably still listen
        to The Breeders, as they
        > have a constant pop thing going on, and haven't sounded dated...
        Throwing Muses too,
        > although they could almost qualify for the 20 years! So they
        probably don't count...

        > TV On The Radio maybe? The artists signed to 4AD at the moment,
        and indeed of late, I do
        > like, but I couldn't say I'd still be playing the records in 15
        years time... I could be proved
        > wrong :) For some reason, the only band I can think of in the way
        I'd think of the bands I
        > mentioned was Interpol... not sure why..!

        I can definitely see myself listening to Mojave3/Neil Halsted in 20
        years. To me it's timeless music. I also think that Piano
        Magic, "Son de Mar" has staying power.

        I doubt I'll be listening to much "electronia" type stuff like
        GusGus. Much in the same way I don't listen Colourbox or later
        Wolfgang Press today.
      • jo
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
          --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "Altonspeed" <altonspeed@y...> wrote:
          > I can definitely see myself listening to Mojave3/Neil Halsted in 20
          > years. To me it's timeless music. I also think that Piano
          > Magic, "Son de Mar" has staying power.
          >
          > I doubt I'll be listening to much "electronia" type stuff like
          > GusGus. Much in the same way I don't listen Colourbox or later
          > Wolfgang Press today.

          it's funny, the radio just played 'What Difference Does It Make' by The Smiths, and said
          "ooh, that's 21 years old now!" which really surprised me... I mean, music back then was
          so much easier to follow and hear and love... music now.. you have to really search.. but it
          feels like yesterday when The Smiths were in the charts, and music was exciting like
          then... when the Cocteaus would get daytime airplay (although not a huge amount, but
          some)...

          It's funny you say you don't listen to the Wolfgang Press - I just added all their albums
          onto my iPod, and unless my tastes in music haven't changed much for the last 20+ years,
          they fit in so well with everything on there - I always have it on the songs>random
          setting...
        • Altonspeed
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 18, 2005
            > It's funny you say you don't listen to the Wolfgang Press - I just
            added all their albums
            > onto my iPod, and unless my tastes in music haven't changed much
            for the last 20+ years,
            > they fit in so well with everything on there - I always have it on
            the songs>random
            > setting...
            I think you're right. Perhaps my tastes haven't changed either. The
            more I think about it, I wasn't a huge fan of Wolfgang Press then or
            now. I was a bit late hearing them... Not until Lonely Is An Eyesore
            and I don't think they ever topped 'Cut the Tree'. The only album I
            listed to with any regularity was Standing Up Straight.

            AMG describes them as "gothic noise(fine) to dark balladry(good) to
            eccentric funk(not so much)"
          • bobbomallo
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 20, 2005
              > it's funny, the radio just played 'What Difference Does It Make' by
              The Smiths, and said
              > "ooh, that's 21 years old now!" which really surprised me... I mean,
              music back then was
              > so much easier to follow and hear and love... music now.. you have
              to really search...

              Agree 100%. Sometimes I wonder if 10-15 years ago new bands and
              artists were really so easy to find or if I missed some great music
              becuase I didn't search deep enough.

              That was exactly the meaning of my question: with all this information
              one just follows what's new, hip, cool or whatever, without knowing if
              "that" song, or "that" album will still turn in one's CD player after
              1, 5, or 20 years. In fact, I don't even know if there will still be
              CD players in 20 years! (and what about my 15 years old turntable?)

              Mine is not a snobbish criticism (and if it is, it is chiefly a
              self-criticism). Some years ago, my "rule", when listening to an album
              I liked, was that I would not stopped listening to it until I knew its
              tracklist by heart. Now sometimes I just stop listening to an album
              without even knowing its title! The next week, there will be another,
              better one, and the following week there will be another, and so on...

              So, in the last ten years in the life of 4ad, the only moments in
              which I didn't want to search for "something different" were when I
              heard Thievery Corporation and GusGus. Just like when I first heard
              DCD, or CT, or BP, or HNIA, or the Pixies, I knew that there was
              nothing newer or better (even tough I started listening to 4ad music
              in the early 90', when most of these bands where well known to the
              world, but not to me).