Re: TwentyTen - the return of the infamous cat#-discussion

  • Jeff Keibel
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2009
      In 2010, just make the numbers start with "31".

      IE: AD3101, CAD3102CD, JAD3103CD, HAD3104CD, GAD3105CD, AD3106, etc...

      This will handle the next decade handily. Then, in 2020, go with a
      "41" prefix, IE: MAD4101CD, etc...

      As Jo mentioned, numbers don't really mean anything anymore so the
      above scheme will fit in well at the "new" 4AD.

      I found this:
      http://i41.tinypic.com/5fn9dc.jpg
      Note that it is indeed a CAD, not a DAD.

      I'm interested in hearing more from new artist Ben Gizzard too.
    • sweetfoolthemouth
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
        --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Keibel" <fedge4ad@...> wrote:

        > In 2010, just make the numbers start with "31".
        >
        > IE: AD3101, CAD3102CD, JAD3103CD, HAD3104CD, GAD3105CD, AD3106, etc...

        but then release nothing in 2011? (which would be 3101... or release nothing in 2019?
        (which would be 3109?)

        It wouldn't work.

        > This will handle the next decade handily. Then, in 2020, go with a
        > "41" prefix, IE: MAD4101CD, etc...
        >
        > As Jo mentioned, numbers don't really mean anything anymore so the
        > above scheme will fit in well at the "new" 4AD.

        Did I say that? I must check back through my email! I certainly didn't mean that!
      • frankbri@planet.nl
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
          2000 was '2K', why not make 2010 '3X', where 'X' stands for '10', so 3X = 30.

          Frank

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
            --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, <frankbri@...> wrote:

            > 2000 was '2K', why not make 2010 '3X', where 'X' stands for '10', so 3X = 30.
            >
            > Frank

            It would certainly make a lot more sense that way!

            Though there's still the issue with barcodes - which even though we're a year away, I might
            have to bring up soon...

            Fun times!
          • frankbri@planet.nl
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
              You mean '3X01' is '0001' or '3001' in a barcode?
              Represent the '3x' by an age 4AD might likely never reach: '99'

              cat#: in barcode:
              3X01 9901
              3x02 9902
              etc.

              In case 4AD is still around in 11 years time:

              cat#: in barcode:
              4X01 8801
              4x02 8802
              etc.

              Etc.

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
                --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, <frankbri@...> wrote:

                > You mean '3X01' is '0001' or '3001' in a barcode?

                Whatever happened we'll have a barcode clash - when I get a spare hour I'm going to go
                through everything that will clash, and try and find ways to avoid gaps like what was had
                in 2000 (which were due to barcode clashes - we still have problems with Gus Gus vs T-
                World and The Comforts Of Madness sharing the same barcode in some places!)

                > Represent the '3x' by an age 4AD might likely never reach: '99'
                >
                > cat#: in barcode:
                > 3X01 9901
                > 3x02 9902
                > etc.
                >
                > In case 4AD is still around in 11 years time:
                >
                > cat#: in barcode:
                > 4X01 8801
                > 4x02 8802
                > etc.
                >
                > Etc.

                The problem I can see with that is that one day those *might* clash! Too risky. I have ideas
                that might fix it, but it's just getting the data together and instigating the meeting.

                Fun times...!
              • Frederic
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 19, 2010
                  So if i'm correct there'll be clashes if any cat# of this year has the same format as the particular cat# of 1993, right?

                  In that year we had the following formats:
                  B/AD 3001 - Single [belly]
                  CAD 3002 - Album [belly]
                  BAD 3003 - EP [uvs]
                  CAD 3004 - Album [f.black]
                  B/AD 3005 - Single [f.black]
                  cad 3006 - Album [hnia]
                  bad 3007 - EP [unrest]
                  dad 3008 - Double-album [rhp]
                  cad 3009 - Album [h.berry]
                  bad 3010 - EP [h.berry]
                  bad 3011 - EP [breeders]
                  cad 3012 - Album [unrest]
                  dad 3013 - Double-album [dcd]
                  cad 3014 - Album [breeders]
                  bad 3015 - EP [unrest]
                  cad 3016 - Album [rhp]
                  b/ad 3017 - Single [breeders]

                  Oddly the first anounced release of this year is already heading for a clash (Tindersticks' Falling Down a Mountain [CAD 3X02] vs. Belly's Star [CAD 3002]) ... or is it not?
                  It seems i still don't get it. Help!

                  --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "sweetfoolthemouth" <sweetfoolthemouth@...> wrote:

                  > --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, <frankbri@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > 2000 was '2K', why not make 2010 '3X', where 'X' stands for '10', so 3X = 30.
                  > >
                  > > Frank
                  >
                  > It would certainly make a lot more sense that way!
                  >
                  > Though there's still the issue with barcodes - which even though we're a year away, I might
                  > have to bring up soon...
                  >
                  > Fun times!

                • sweetfoolthemouth
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 19, 2010
                    From what I can gather, in our databases the 1993 releases all (or pretty much all, bar a couple) have 13 digit barcodes. So there may be one or two clashes, which I guess if the right formats are used for that release will be avoided - but it's difficult to say (I'm not back at work until August, so I have no idea what's going on, other people are taking care of this, thank god!).

                    It should be interesting...!

                    jo

                    --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "Frederic" <schokofueralle@...> wrote:

                    > So if i'm correct there'll be clashes if any cat# of this year has the same format as the particular cat# of 1993, right?
                    >
                    > In that year we had the following formats:
                    > B/AD 3001 - Single [belly]
                    > CAD 3002 - Album [belly]
                    > BAD 3003 - EP [uvs]
                    > CAD 3004 - Album [f.black]
                    > B/AD 3005 - Single [f.black]
                    > cad 3006 - Album [hnia]
                    > bad 3007 - EP [unrest]
                    > dad 3008 - Double-album [rhp]
                    > cad 3009 - Album [h.berry]
                    > bad 3010 - EP [h.berry]
                    > bad 3011 - EP [breeders]
                    > cad 3012 - Album [unrest]
                    > dad 3013 - Double-album [dcd]
                    > cad 3014 - Album [breeders]
                    > bad 3015 - EP [unrest]
                    > cad 3016 - Album [rhp]
                    > b/ad 3017 - Single [breeders]
                    >
                    > Oddly the first anounced release of this year is already heading for a clash (Tindersticks' Falling Down a Mountain [CAD 3X02] vs. Belly's Star [CAD 3002]) ... or is it not?
                    > It seems i still don't get it. Help!
                    >

                    > --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "sweetfoolthemouth" <sweetfoolthemouth@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, <frankbri@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > 2000 was '2K', why not make 2010 '3X', where 'X' stands for '10', so 3X = 30.
                    > > >
                    > > > Frank
                    > >
                    > > It would certainly make a lot more sense that way!
                    > >
                    > > Though there's still the issue with barcodes - which even though we're a year away, I might
                    > > have to bring up soon...
                    > >
                    > > Fun times!

                  • Frederic
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 20, 2010
                      Thanks for clearing that up, Jo!

                      Not at work until August?
                      Well i don't want to be indiscreet but i do hope that there's a pleasant reason for this hiatus.

                      Cheers
                      Vlad

                      --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "sweetfoolthemouth" <sweetfoolthemouth@...> wrote:

                      > From what I can gather, in our databases the 1993 releases all (or pretty much all, bar a couple) have 13 digit barcodes. So there may be one or two clashes, which I guess if the right formats are used for that release will be avoided - but it's difficult to say (I'm not back at work until August, so I have no idea what's going on, other people are taking care of this, thank god!).
                      >
                      > It should be interesting...!
                      >
                      > jo

                    • sweetfoolthemouth
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 20, 2010
                        No big secret - I had a baby girl back last August, so I'm on a years maternity leave (which is actually harder work than being at work, let me tell you!) - I do pop in the office every couple of months though, so do get to catch up on what's going on - I'm relying on you lot now for updates :-)

                        It's quite nice!