Wave of Questions

  • schokofueralle
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      Thanks Jo!
      That's an impressive list, but there are a few items that made me
      wonder what exact track might expected:
      EAD4014V Slow Buildings - Pale Saints (not the whole album, is it?)
      EAD5012V Schism - Scheer (dito)
      EAD5014V Fuck You Tiger - Air Miami
      EAD2503V The Secret Society Of Butterflies - Blonde Redhead
      EAD2603V The Drift - Scott Walker (different to Jesse ?)

      Regarding the cat#'s i think i already expressed my ambivalent
      feelings back on the message board (i generally dislike the practice
      of assigning a cat# to anything i can't touch), but there are a few
      mysteries which yet need to be clarified:

      - no 4021 ? (while 4020 and 4022 are used for videos)

      - why are some videos assigned to the album the track is taken from
      (eg Carolyn's Fingers) and others assigned to all new cat#'s (eg
      Michael Brook - Breakdown > 2020 instead of 2007 [Cobalt Blue album]
      btw. 2020 was already assigned to the 1993 Calendar) ?

      - Sally Is A Girl (50 Foot Wave) was assigned to 2519 instead of 2516
      which to my knoledge remains unused - a wasted opportunity or is
      there still something to expect ?

      Finally there's still a few videos missing (licensing problems?).
      Anyway, I tried and put together a list:

      The Birthday Party - Nick the Stripper
      Colourbox - Shotgun
      Modern English - Chapter 12
      Cocteau Twins - Aikea Guinea
      Lonely Is An Eyesore
      Dead Can Dance - Host of Seraphim
      The Wolfgang Press - Raintime
      Pale Saints - Time Thief
      Pixies - Dig for Fire/Allison
      This Mortal Coil - Late Night
      The Wolfgang Press - Mama Told Me Not To Come
      Lush - Superblast
      Swallow - Oceans & Blue Skies
      Ultra Vivid Scene - Blood & Thunder
      Frank Black - Los Angeles
      Unrest - Isabel Bishop
      Heidi Berry - The Moon & The Sun
      Dead Can Dance - Yulunga (Spirit Dance)
      Throwing Muses - Bright Yellow Gun
      Licorice - Cheap Cuts
      Scheer - Shéa
      GusGus - Starlovers

      Thanks for the interest
      Vlad
    • sweetfoolthemouth
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 24, 2008
        --- In 4ad-l@yahoogroups.com, "schokofueralle" <schokofueralle@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Jo!
        > That's an impressive list, but there are a few items that made me
        > wonder what exact track might expected:
        > EAD4014V Slow Buildings - Pale Saints (not the whole album, is it?)

        Sorry, that's for the 'Angel' video (up now at iTunes too)

        > EAD5012V Schism - Scheer (dito)

        'Sometimes' is this one

        > EAD5014V Fuck You Tiger - Air Miami

        'I Hate Milk'

        > EAD2503V The Secret Society Of Butterflies - Blonde Redhead
        'Melody'

        > EAD2603V The Drift - Scott Walker (different to Jesse ?)

        Nope, this is Jesse!

        > Regarding the cat#'s i think i already expressed my ambivalent
        > feelings back on the message board (i generally dislike the practice
        > of assigning a cat# to anything i can't touch), but there are a few
        > mysteries which yet need to be clarified:
        >
        > - no 4021 ? (while 4020 and 4022 are used for videos)

        That one is a balls up - just realised, it's allocated to 'Angel' - so I'll fix that - thanks for
        spotting it!!

        > - why are some videos assigned to the album the track is taken from
        > (eg Carolyn's Fingers) and others assigned to all new cat#'s (eg
        > Michael Brook - Breakdown > 2020 instead of 2007 [Cobalt Blue album]
        > btw. 2020 was already assigned to the 1993 Calendar) ?

        I know (re 2020) - initially we started assigning them to the album - but found out places
        like iTunes (and other places as we'll start to deliver more videos to more companies) will
        then call the video the title of the release, rather than the title of the song - so do expect
        to see things like this crop up in the future, annoyingly. Basically, everything has to have
        it's own unique catalogue number with a corresponding name. There's going to be ones
        we can get away with (Like Lush's Mad Love EP for the 'De-Luxe' video), but there's going
        to be some which look odd... that's why it's easier to allocate from the year it came out.

        > - Sally Is A Girl (50 Foot Wave) was assigned to 2519 instead of 2516
        > which to my knoledge remains unused - a wasted opportunity or is
        > there still something to expect ?

        2519 is definitely 'Sally Is A Girl' - 2516 appears not to be allocated (I can't remember that
        far back any more, alas!)

        > Finally there's still a few videos missing (licensing problems?).
        > Anyway, I tried and put together a list:

        I'll try add comments where I can - basically our entire archive is based on betas, but we
        do hold the older proper masters for these - so when I'm marking them as 'master lost' it
        doesn't mean we've no hope - it just means there's problems which will be sorted in the
        future..!

        > The Birthday Party - Nick the Stripper - master lost
        > Colourbox - Shotgun - master lost
        > Modern English - Chapter 12 - being delivered to iTunes at the moment
        > Cocteau Twins - Aikea Guinea - hmm, not sure - possibly audio problems, but it was
        ordered in the past
        > Lonely Is An Eyesore - master lost (don't worry!)
        > Dead Can Dance - Host of Seraphim - to be ordered in the future
        > The Wolfgang Press - Raintime - happening at the moment
        > Pale Saints - Time Thief - to be ordered
        > Pixies - Dig for Fire/Allison - to be ordered
        > This Mortal Coil - Late Night - has been ordered, possible problems - not sure about
        this
        > The Wolfgang Press - Mama Told Me Not To Come - about to go to iTunes
        > Lush - Superblast - to be ordered
        > Swallow - Oceans & Blue Skies - to be ordered
        > Ultra Vivid Scene - Blood & Thunder - to be ordered
        > Frank Black - Los Angeles - being delivered to iTunes at the moment
        > Unrest - Isabel Bishop - to be ordered
        > Heidi Berry - The Moon & The Sun - master lost
        > Dead Can Dance - Yulunga (Spirit Dance) - to be ordered
        > Throwing Muses - Bright Yellow Gun - been at iTunes for about six months, issues with
        the video, should be resolved soon, hopefully
        > Licorice - Cheap Cuts - to be ordered
        > Scheer - Shéa - to be ordered
        > GusGus - Starlovers - to be ordered

        I could probably try and do as complete a list of all the videos, but it'd take a lot of time -
        to give you some idea, I can only set up 15 catalogue videos digitally per week, and that's
        across all our labels, so I try and get a minimum of five 4AD and BB ones, as well as RT -
        so it's moving slowly, but getting better! In around a year there's no reason why everything
        shouldn't be available digitally - it's just some will take a lot longer than going the
        standard way (sourcing original masters or trying to find new audio to re-lay on bad older
        audio)!
      • schokofueralle
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2009
          Oh, bit late but of course I'm gratful for all these explanations, Jo!

          Now hm, admittedly I'm beginning to think of how to get such files into
          a proper DVD ...
          We'll see.
        • frankbri@planet.nl
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19, 2010
            This is a message for Jo.

            I was wondering if you maybe have an updated list of video's you have sent to iTunes? The previous one, see below, is from October 2008.

            I am especially interested what 4021 is, since 4019, 4020, 4022 and 4023 are in the list.

            Many thanks in advance,

            Frank