Re: 5D interface

  • kygron
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 31, 2009
      yeah, that's the discussion that was going on in my head and specifics and clarity where the reasons holding back from posting. I have a better idea... you are all intelligent people and interested in the topic, I bet if I stumble through an abstract description you'll figure it out.

      I'll start with MC4D, 'cause I really wanna play with the new polytopes, and you can extrapolate to 5D (prob'ly with an additional click).

      When working with MC4D for my solution, I always went to the opposite 4face and clicked to rotate in the opposite direction (alternately, the opposite slice, anyway, two opposites).

      Remember, there's a difference between simulation and interface. You don't click a cubie, you click a button on the screen. In MC4D you click a sticky, but there's no reason why you can't click the edge of a sticky, or a visually distinct "handle" for an entire n-face.

      Complete 3^4 1-click instant gratification interface:

      3 mouse buttons
      left-click
      right-click
      translate-click

      3 slices, as standard

      the interface is a 3x3 "face" of a 4-face viewed as a 3^3. Call it the board for now. this is slice 1, any work with alternate slices requires a slice button.

      translate-click board center: entire 4face translates toward board (adjacent 4face rotates all slices from perpendicular)

      left/right-click board center: board rotates (opposite 4face rotates opposite direction)

      translate-click board edge: board translates in direction of edge-from-center (opposite 4face rotates from perpendicular)

      left/right-click a board edge: nothing
      any-click a board corner: nothing

      that's everything you need! you can even avoid the slice masks altogether if you allow edge-of-sticky clicking. each board boundary defines one board-slice and direction for translating. rotate-click a board edge for a board-slice rotation.

      basically, think of a mouse click as a finger pushing from the origin (or n-face origin)

      I hope that wasn't too confusing for you formal-minded folks ;)

      Kyle