Scientific American article on Rubik's cube and groups

  • jony.vaughan
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2009
      Hi there,

      Just came across this article and thought it might be of interest to those of you for whom 3D Rubik's cube-style puzzles have become way too easy (I'm guessing that applies to most of you)

      http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=simple-groups-at-play

      Have fun,

      Jonathan
    • Jay Berkenbilt
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2009
        Thanks for sharing this article. I actually have a few puzzles that
        more or less follow these principles. Perhaps the best example is
        "Triple Cross", which you can see a picture of here:

        http://www.passionforpuzzles.com/puzzles/triplecross.php

        You can also make the regular 3D Rubik's cube a little more like these
        by restricting yourself to only twisting certain faces. For example,
        scrambling and then solving regular Rubik's cube by only twisting two
        adjacent faces is much harder then solving it normally.

        It might be interesting to play with the 4D version of the puzzle in
        that way, something that had never occurred to me. I bet randomizing
        and solving the 4D puzzle by twisting only two or three adjacent
        "faces" would be harder than or at least very different from solving
        the puzzle in the normal way.

        --Jay