Re: 5^4 - I've managed to solve it (Michal Wizner - Poland)

  • Melinda Green
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2005
      hello michal,

      congratulations on slaying the monster. the 5^4 is truly frightening to
      behold and i'm always impressed when someone goes up against it. i've
      added your latest accomplishment to the hall-of-fame. i'm cc'ing the
      group here as i'm sure everyone will be interested in your experience
      and in the answers to the questions you ask.

      i'm glad that you found the java version helpful in this task. i'm sorry
      that you needed macros to finish it because then i could have added you
      to the first table as the 1st no-macro 5^4 and not had to create a
      completely new table! seriously that's not a big deal and i knew i would
      have to do it before too long anyway. (note to everyone: the 1st
      no-macro 5^4 is still up for grabs!)

      i'm not surprised that you say the smaller puzzles look like child's
      play. so are you ready to join the 1st 4D speed solving contest? we only
      need 3 people, and if you join i think we may have enough contestants.

      regarding java macro support, this feature remains to be ported but i'm
      not familiar with the c++ code and after a month of work to get to this
      point i needed a break and hopefully a little help.

      i'm slightly surprised that you were able to pick up your work with the
      linux version since the file format is not backwards compatible but i am
      glad that it worked for you.

      regarding larger puzzles, the problem is that they take up exponentially
      enormous amount of memory. i just tested and found that i could create
      an 8^4 puzzle on a machine with 2GB RAM but it failed at 9^4. the
      biggest problem with offering these huge puzzles is that parts of the
      code are set up for the worst case so that offering larger puzzles would
      drastically increase the memory requirements of all users. with effort,
      that could be redesigned so that only users attempting to use huge
      puzzles would require the memory but that will require someone suitably
      motivated to do the work.

      -melinda