FNG here, and dipole mod

  • tackleberry_nj
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 19, 2003
      Hey there, Im from northern NJ and figured Id say hi. Im not a HAM,
      to techncal and to expensive, but I messed around with CB, scanning,
      and 49 MHz as a kid in highschool.

      Now Im into using radios for paintball games, scenario games in
      particular. Theyre close to a 400 vs 400 player paintball game,
      usaly 12-24 hours long, and center around a mision based game on a
      HUGE field, not just capture the flag, in case anyone hasnt heard of
      them. THey include lots of missions and stuff, base security,
      patrols, attacks, siezing objectives and eliminating the other
      teams "Generals" with high point values for every mission completed.
      Well paintballers rarely know anything about radios, so Ive kinda got
      back into it to help out and get a bit of an edge using them at these
      huge games (skirmsh PA if anyone is going this summer) So I dropped
      by doing research for an article for www.paintballzone.com (non-
      profit site) on radios. We normaly use frs or ocasionaly gmrs, and
      CB for longer ranges, but 49 mhz does pop up alot among two man teams
      who like an empty channel. Some people use scanners, and the general
      of each team usualy has people swarming around him with radios so he
      can direct his team oer wide areas, my project has been to boost the
      range using handheld cbs and encouraging gmrs liscensing, both of
      wich can use field expedient antennas. Scenario games also encourage
      people to have costumes and historicly acurate gear when possible if
      the game depicts a certain era, so the cb angle works well if you put
      a battery operated handheld into a mettle case to look like a PRC
      backpack radio.

      I have plans for a wire dipole antenna for a radio shack single
      chanel headset radio, but I dont know if you guys want to have people
      post stuff that may not be allowed for 49mhz (im not a lawyer) if
      someone actualy built it. Lets just say that it boosted range 5 to 6
      times that of the little mettle antenna in heavy woods. If you guys
      dont want me to post it I understand, but then if someone had a ham
      liscense wouldnt it be leagal for them to do the same thing to the
      same model radio if it were on 6 meters? Well its up to you guys.

      Glad to see a site dedicated to 49mhz, now im pissed that I didnt buy
      more 49 mhz radios from rad shack when they were 3 bucks a piece for
      the 5 channel modes :(