New Group Member

  • Bill <N6ZEU@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hello group, I was in Radio shack the other day and stumbled accross
      two Trc-509 1ch. tranceivers. at .97 cents a piece I said give me all
      you got. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) there were only two
      left. Now I have to figure out what to do with them. I live on the
      third story of a condo surrounded by many other condo and apartment
      complexes. There is a lot of RF floating around on 49mhz. At almost
      any given time I can hear a baby monitor or a handset of the old
      style cordless phones. I have a ham radio which recieves 48-52 mnz. I
      am in the process of modifying it to transmit on the 49 mhz band.
      I haven,t looked at part 97 for the baby band for a while but my
      HT will run 300 mw on low power. that should be close to legal. I was
      wondering has anyone figured out how to re-crystal these radios for 6
      meters. I also would love to put an adjustable potentiometer on the
      hysterises squelch in the unit. If not an adjustable squelch a "open
      squelch" or "monitor" mod. would be really handy for DX or weak
      signal work. Anyone expierimenting around with any antennas?.
      That's it for today I hope now that we are done with our holiday
      festivities we can shake up some action in this group.

      Good DX, Bill N6ZEU
    • David Colburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
        On the Part 97 front, odds are your Ham HT has not been approved for
        49MHz. Since you posted to a public list you have now given the FCC
        permission to enter your home to seize the gear you have publically
        declared is your intent to use in violation of Federal law. (Look out,
        black hawk helicopters on the horizon!) giggle!

        That said, unless they receive consumer complaints they are unlikely to
        act. (They have bigger fish to fry.)

        On the other hand I imagine that the cheap RS devices will be too drifty
        for the Ham HT.

        doc

      • Fbs1050@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2003
          Hello,

          Welcome to the group! Glad to see that at least someone isn't a
          spammer! :-) Good find at Radio Shack, you might also want to
          see if they have their other TRC model with five channels.
          (Catalog number?) Please note that using the ham radio on 6.1m
          (49MHz) would be illegal under the FCC's type acception rules, but
          IMHO if you ran it at legal power with a legal antenna, you'd do fine.
          Hmmm... interesting ideas on the modifications. One of these days
          I need to pick up one of the TRC models just to see inside it and
          what wodnerful things could be done to them (recrystaling, s-meters,
          and all sorts of other things I'd never have time to install. :-) Right
          now, my main 49 radio is a cheap kids' WT with 300mw out, and
          modding it would be crazy, as the inside seems to have been sprayed
          with a hot glue gun. (I have no clue how they make these things. :-)
          As for antennas, it is tough to build something that meets the FCC
          rules, but it is possible. Dex W4DEX put together a beacon that can
          be seen on his website:

          http://www.gostanly.com/w4dex/49er.htm

          Welcome again to the group!

          73..de Michael..49H3MA
        • N6ZEU@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2003
            I have let the cat out of the proverbial bag. I am peeking out of my curtains
            every fifteen minutes now looking for the doppler radio direction finding
            van. :-)

            I think I am in pretty good shape running just 300mw, though not approved I
            think the deviation and spurious emissions should be well within specs. this
            close to 6m.

            I have a guy down the street running about 2kw on a six element cubical quad,
            I think he is a great diversionary tactic for my clandestine operations.

            Regarding the stability of these 509's being crystal controlled I dont think
            they should have much of a drifting problem. the units should at least stay
            within the 5 kc deviation range of my ham HT.... thanks for the warm welcome
            "group"..... more later

            Bill