I am looking for some suggestions for some great radios

  • Adam Ebel
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2002
      Hello,

      I am looking around for some 5 channel walkie talkies, that cover
      the 5 channels of 49.830, 49.845, 49.860, 49.875, 49.890, also
      I want to still improve my 49 MHz reception. Also is there any
      directional antennas for the 49 MHz region, for reception for
      for communications receivers.

      Also I got to tell you that the Pro 95 is great portable radio
      for those walkie talkies, it has AM and NFM, and it has text ID
      for Labeling 49 MHz Channel A, B,C,D, E Everyone have a great
      holiday season. electronicdx.
    • John H. Guetherman <jhguetherman@yahoo.c
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 7, 2002
        --- In 49megahertz@yahoogroups.com, "Adam Ebel" <electronicdx@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am looking around for some 5 channel walkie talkies, that cover
        > the 5 channels of 49.830, 49.845, 49.860, 49.875, 49.890, also
        > I want to still improve my 49 MHz reception. Also is there any
        > directional antennas for the 49 MHz region, for reception for
        > for communications receivers.
        >
        > Also I got to tell you that the Pro 95 is great portable radio
        > for those walkie talkies, it has AM and NFM, and it has text ID
        > for Labeling 49 MHz Channel A,B,C,D,E. Everyone have a great
        > holiday season. electronicdx.

        Check the Topaz3/Maxon website,

        http://www.topaz3.com/all_byFreq.asp?strFreq=49Mhz

        I believe they're about the only company who still has 49 MHz radios
        anymore. Radio Shack had a clearance on their 5-channel TRC-512
        handhelds earlier this year. I had bought one a couple of years ago,
        and I just got the last one in all of Arizona during the clearance.
        Midland also used to carry some, but they don't have any listed on
        their company website anymore.

        Someone had a 49 MHz wire antenna which you could setup as a
        standard dipole, or as a sloper. It was advertised as a cordless
        phone monitoring antenna, which of course is illegal to do*, so that
        may be why I can't find the ad anymore. I checked several issues of
        MT and PopComm. MAXSystem?

        *however, check out

        http://www.crbbooks.com/archives/eavesdropping_on_cordless_phones.htm

        Hmmm, here's an antenna. 49-51 MHz 3 element yagi.

        http://www.astronantennas.com/astrondocs/vhf_low_50-3.html

        Just for reference: http://www.atlasce.com/FCC_part15.htm "The
        following Part 15 regulations contain all updates and changes made by
        the Commission as of May 30, 2002. In addition, this version contains
        some directional notes, not themselves contained in the regulations.
        These directional notes are enclosed by brackets ([])."

        49 MHz kit:

        http://www.mfjenterprises.com/vectronics/products.php?prodid=VEC-1016K

        John H. Guetherman
        KB7MIB/KAZ7FA/KBKF9922/SSB-83T/KAE7927 (expired)
        Peoria, AZ.