Finally, some news!

  • Fbs1050@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 6, 2002
      Hey everybody!

      I finally have some club news for the list! (No, I'm not dead! :-) I haven't
      had access to the computer with the membership database in it for awhile, so
      I haven't been able to process the latest club memberships. If you sent in a
      membership application sometime in 08/01/02 - 10/07/02, it probably didn't go
      through. Sorry! If you re-submit it or just forward me the email you sent,
      I'll process it ASAP.

      Also, some propagation information. Not really 49MHz, but oh well. I was in
      Gettysburg, PA this morning (travelling), and I managed to hear the 147.090
      ham repeater here in Pittsburgh, PA on my HT at about an SWR of 46. I haven't
      done much listening recently (Haven't been doing much 49MHz work) but from
      what I've heard VHF propagation is doing great! Everyone take a listen for
      the W4DEX 49MHz beacon! I don't have the frequency written down, but I
      believe he hangs out on the LOWFER mailing list if you need it.

      The 49MHz Beacon newsletter is almost finished, and should be out "one of
      these days." Mainly I'm waiting to roll it out with the new members-only
      webpage. Speaking of the webpage, the small frames problem should be fixed
      now. It was actually a ID10T error on my part, I forgot to strip the HTML
      code from the frameset. :-)

      Tnx es 73,
      Michael 49H3MA
    • Pete Crapia
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 12, 2002
        Been looking to get my 49MHz gear back up and running again and will
        probably do so within a couple of weeks.

        I have to ask... what is with the reference to SWR (standing wave
        ratio) on the receive end?? Otherwise, good job on the receive of
        that repeater!!

        Pete

        --- In 49megahertz@y..., Fbs1050@a... wrote:
        I was in
        > Gettysburg, PA this morning (travelling), and I managed to hear the
        147.090
        > ham repeater here in Pittsburgh, PA on my HT at about an SWR of 46.
      • Community Radio Station
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2002
          Hi Pete,

          I think what Mike means to refer to is "RST"
          (Readability / Strength / Tone), although in
          this case (since we're not dealing with CW)
          it would be "RS".

          The "R" scale goes from 1 to 5 to signify the
          quality (readability of the signal) from UNreadable
          to 'Perfectly Readable (with no difficulty)', and
          the "S" scale goes from 0 (zero) (actually 1) to 9
          to relate the relative strength of the signal at
          the receiving station.

          The "T" scale again goes from 1 to 5 and signifies the
          quality of the single tone Morse Code, from raspy with
          key clicks and AC ripple - basically a VERY dirty tone,
          to a 5 which signifies a PURE DC tone (or as close as
          anyone can get to that ideal)...

          But then you knew all this already... :)
          Thanks for the bandwidth...

          49C6GT

          --
          SEND ALL REPLIES TO:

          Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges
        • Pete Crapia
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2002
            That's what I thought he was trying to say, I just had to ask :)

            Pete