Roadtrip Monitoring

  • jhguetherman
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2002
      I'm planning a 20 day roadtrip from Phoenix to Montana and back at
      the end of the month. I'll try to do some monitoring with my pair of
      TRC-512's and my PRO-43 scanner as well. I'll let ya'll know if I
      heard anything when I get back.

      John H. Guetherman
      KB7MIB/KAZ7FA/KBKF9922/SSB-83T/KAE7927 (expired)
      Peoria, AZ.
    • onemeridian
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 3, 2002
        Hook it up to a magnet mount (or other external mobile) antenna. You
        may be surprised to hear a phone conversation...yet there isn't any
        sign of civilization for miles & miles.......

        Have a safe trip & keep us posted!

        TONY

        --- In 49megahertz@y..., "jhguetherman" <kb7mib@h...> wrote:
        > I'm planning a 20 day roadtrip from Phoenix to Montana and back at
        > the end of the month. I'll try to do some monitoring with my pair
        of
        > TRC-512's and my PRO-43 scanner as well. I'll let ya'll know if I
        > heard anything when I get back.
        >
        > John H. Guetherman
        > KB7MIB/KAZ7FA/KBKF9922/SSB-83T/KAE7927 (expired)
        > Peoria, AZ.
      • jhguetherman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 9, 2002
          --- In 49megahertz@y..., "onemeridian" <meridian3891@c...> wrote:
          > Hook it up to a magnet mount (or other external mobile) antenna.
          You may be surprised to hear a phone conversation...yet there isn't
          any sign of civilization for miles & miles.......

          > Have a safe trip & keep us posted!
          >

          > TONY

          I was planning on using my dual-band Amateur antenna with my PRO-43
          to monitor public safety, MURS and GMRS. But that has nil low-band
          reception. I'm already planning on buying a mag-mount for my handheld
          CB. Really don't want to add to the cost by buying a scanner antenna
          as well. (Currently on leave from work due to a fractured finger back
          on the 30th, so will be limited on funds more than expected.) Will
          probably monitor two channels at a time with my pair of 512's, and
          just turn through the other channels on occasion. Have to remember to
          buy extra batteries, though.

          John H. Guetherman
          Peoria, AZ.
        • jhguetherman
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 9, 2002
            Only monitored a little bit at my relatives' homes. Didn't do any on-
            the-road monitoring. Heard absolutely nothing. Not even any baby
            monitors in use, or cordless phones being used at the time I
            monitored.

            Oh, well. MURS was also dead, except for a grocery store in Great
            Falls, Montana on 154.570. GMRS was dead, and only a little bit of
            FRS use.

            Otherwise, my trip was enjoyable. Wish I could have extended it. I'm
            ready for another vacation.

            Anybody else have anything to report?

            John H. Guetherman
            Peoria, AZ.
          • Mike Staines
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 10, 2002
              I guess FRS is not too off-topic...

              I have been moving from Central New Hampshire to Central New York. Lots of 5
              hour trips with and without u-haul trucks, multiple cars, etc.

              So I went to the Shack and bought these cute little mag-mounted FRS radios
              they sell. The radio is in the mag-mount unit on the car and the mic,
              speaker, etc are in the car. The units work well. I have been pleased with
              the distance and the CTCS options.

              I have been VERY surprised at the activity. It is a lot like CB was back in
              the early 70's just before it took off. Seemed that there was activity on
              any random channel we picked as we drove along the interstates. Good thing
              the CTCS squelch worked well.

              Mike