TRC-512 Beacon!!!

  • Brian R. Chapman
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
      I am in the process of building a 49 MHZ part 15 beacon. The
      radio will be the Radio Shack 5 channel unit. An ID-8 will be located
      in the compartment where the 9V battery goes and the unit will be
      powered via a lighter plug/socket with variable voltage selector at 9V
      DC. A Solar style battery will be used w/small solar panel to maintain
      charge. The unit will be located in Carlin,NV atop an 8100 FT mountain.
      I intend to use CH 3 49.860 with callsign 49H7BC !!! Brian nb9e/7
      (formerly n9noc)
    • michael tyler
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2008
        Hi Brian, way to go......i have one of those units
        that i was working on to do the same thing...are you
        setting the ider for on off carrier or tone
        modulation?....thats where i am at now...thanks..mike
        --- "Brian R. Chapman" <nb9e@...> wrote:

        > I am in the process of building a 49 MHZ part
        > 15 beacon. The
        > radio will be the Radio Shack 5 channel unit. An
        > ID-8 will be located
        > in the compartment where the 9V battery goes and the
        > unit will be
        > powered via a lighter plug/socket with variable
        > voltage selector at 9V
        > DC. A Solar style battery will be used w/small solar
        > panel to maintain
        > charge. The unit will be located in Carlin,NV atop
        > an 8100 FT mountain.
        > I intend to use CH 3 49.860 with callsign 49H7BC !!!
        > Brian nb9e/7
        > (formerly n9noc)

        www.wa8ywo.com
      • Brian R. Chapman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
          I will be setting the unit for tone (mcw) as this will keep the
          rf carrier on while the message is transmitted. I hope someone will
          hear it eventually!!! Brian nb9e/7
        • Brian R. Chapman
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 13, 2008
            OK the beacon is working!!! I have chosen 49.830 mhz instead.
            This may sound goofy but as you all know lowband harmonics can be a
            problem!!! I did the calculation 49.830 x 3 =149.490. It seemed
            appropriate!!! The unit transmits " DE 49H7BC/B every 1 minute.
            Deviation is 4.2 khz mcw. The ID-8 fits perfectly in the battery
            compartment. I made a small notch about three/eights of an inch from
            the right side towards the left to allow the 9v battery leads to
            protrude.Next I will Enclose the radio in some Lexan or Plexi-glass
            with the antenna protruding and water proof the antenna hole with
            silicone. I will use a 12V gel-cell with a step down to 9V via a
            ligter cord male/female to the battery and a small solar panel bought
            for leaving in your car wind shield to charge the battery(available
            from MCM).The battery will be in a weather proof box and the solar
            panel will be at an angle for good summer/winter sun atop an 8100 Ft
            mountain top where we have other ham gear, all run on solar as well!!!
            "73" NB9E/7
          • michael tyler
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 14, 2008
              Hi Brian, sounds great....any pics to post...mike

              www.wa8ywo.com

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 16, 2008
                No doubt our biggest advancements will be made with CW rather than AM, FM or
                MCW. Perhaps a rig along the lines of the Ramsey QRP series or modified
                single channel radio remote controlled transmitters, coupled with long time
                integration modes such as QRSS or many of the modes used at LF. People have
                accomplished EME, a distance of over 500,000 miles with only 5W on VHF with
                the proper encoding scheme. Another plan would be to get away from the
                usual 49 MHz frequencies where our signals have about as much effect as a
                fart in a hurricane considering all the other wide-band signals of varying
                modes, some of the baby monitors I hear cover many, many square miles, far
                in excess of their 100' or so that they are designed. What about the other
                "bands", 43, 46, 47 MHz, do they fall under Part 15 as well?

                Kurt