New Personal Distance Record

  • kb7ino_egroups
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
      Hey!

      Last weekend I set a new distance record 1.1 miles!

      The Transmitter was a Maxon single channel (channel A) radio.

      The Receiver was my Icom 703+ with a 1/4 antenna on the top of my car.

      I drove about 0.5 miles and lost the signal do to other Baby Monitors.
      I kept going to a 1.1 miles and went up a hill.
      I heard my transmitter again... it was competing against other local
      Baby Monitors, but I did hear it!

      Hey... this is kinda fun!

      -Peter

      P.S. What are some of the pther distance records on this list?
    • Steven Coles
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
        Peter,

        That's great! You beat me by 0.2 mile. You've given me an incentive
        to give it another go. Wait a minute! Are you next to Bridle
        Trails? I work in the North Creek Business Park just North of
        Woodinville.

        73,

        Steven, KD7YTE

        --- In 49megahertz@yahoogroups.com, "kb7ino_egroups"
        <kb7ino_egroups@...> wrote:

        > Hey!
        >
        > Last weekend I set a new distance record 1.1 miles!
        >
        > The Transmitter was a Maxon single channel (channel A) radio.
        >
        > The Receiver was my Icom 703+ with a 1/4 antenna on the top of my
        car.

        > I drove about 0.5 miles and lost the signal do to other Baby
        Monitors.
        > I kept going to a 1.1 miles and went up a hill.
        > I heard my transmitter again... it was competing against other local
        > Baby Monitors, but I did hear it!
        >
        > Hey... this is kinda fun!
        >
        > -Peter
        >
        > P.S. What are some of the pther distance records on this list?

      • Peter Abraham - KB7INO
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 9, 2007
          HEY!

          Yes I do live near Bridal Trails.
          I was on 140th Ave driving parallel Bridal Trails
          State Park. The road I drove down is between the golf
          course and a big open forest area (i.e. there were no
          houses with potential baby monitors).

          I wonder if I were able to try a different channel
          (with less interference) just how far I could go... my
          current radio only had 49.83 MHz.

          You have to try and beat me now!

          -Peter
          KB7INO

          P.S. I was looking through the messages, and one
          person (in message 719) went ~5 miles.

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
        • Steven Coles
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 10, 2007
            Peter,

            If your Maxon is similar to the SX-49, it uses dual conversion with
            the first IF at 16 MHz and the second at 455 MHz. According to the
            manual at

            http://www.rfwiz.com/Maxon/Manuals/49-SX.pdf

            it can be recrystaled to 49.830, 49.845, and 49.890 MHz. You might
            find crystals at Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

            http://www.surplussales.com/Crystals/Crystals-7.html

            Oops! If your 1st LO is 16 MHz below the channel, you'd be on
            49.8888 MHz with their closest crystal (33.88888 MHz). Oh well.
            (For those with 10.7-MHz 1st IFs, you'd land on 49.8444 MHz with the
            closest SSN crystal (39.14444 MHz—might be able to "bend" the crystal
            to 49.845 by changing a capacitor.)

            Anybody have better info and a good crystal source?

            Maybe we should do a Marymoor Park distance check so there'd be a
            recent QSO on this group.

            Steven, KD7YTE

            --- In 49megahertz@yahoogroups.com, Peter Abraham - KB7INO

            ______________
            > http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail

          • Peter Abraham - KB7INO
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 10, 2007
              Hello!

              > If your Maxon is similar to the SX-49,
              I have a Maxon 49-SA which I got back in the late 80s
              (1988 I think)... hard to believe I've had it for
              almost 20 years! In 1995 I modified it, I added an
              antenna connector and a 1/8" line in jack.

              > Maybe we should do a Marymoor Park distance check so
              > there'd be a recent QSO on this group.
              Sounds good to me!
              I have 2 2mtr 5/8 wave magmounts which load up great
              on 6 mtrs/49 MHz. Plus I have a GPS that we could use
              to measure distance.

              -Peter
              KB7INO

              The fish are biting.
            • bruce mallon
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 11, 2007
                I also have a maxon 5 ch Ill have to restore my 49 mhz
                station and get it back on.

                .
                wrote:

                > Hello!
                >
                > > If your Maxon is similar to the SX-49,
                > I have a Maxon 49-SA which I got back in the late
                > 80s
                > (1988 I think)... hard to believe I've had it for
                > almost 20 years! In 1995 I modified it, I added an
                > antenna connector and a 1/8" line in jack.
                >

                > > Maybe we should do a Marymoor Park distance check
                > so
                > > there'd be a recent QSO on this group.
                > Sounds good to me!
                > I have 2 2mtr 5/8 wave magmounts which load up great
                > on 6 mtrs/49 MHz. Plus I have a GPS that we could
                > use
                > to measure distance.
                >

                > -Peter
                > KB7INO

                > The fish are biting.
                > Get more visitors on your site using Yahoo! Search
                > Marketing.

                Be a PS3 game guru.
              • Steven Coles
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 11, 2007
                  Peter,

                  Sorry for the late reply. I'm having a little connectivity problem here.

                  Looks like Sunday would be the earliest I could get out for a test. I
                  don't drive. I'll have to check the Metro Transit trip planner page.
                  But should have no problem finding a route to any popular place.

                  Maybe a magmount would stick to my head. For a first baseline test
                  I'd be happy just to find out what my unmodified Radio Shack 5-channel
                  does in FM. I was keying it in a quazi QRSS mode to reach the 5000+
                  foot mark.

                  <kb7ino_egroups@...> wrote:

                  > Hello!
                  >
                  > > If your Maxon is similar to the SX-49,
                  > I have a Maxon 49-SA which I got back in the late 80s
                  > (1988 I think)... hard to believe I've had it for
                  > almost 20 years! In 1995 I modified it, I added an
                  > antenna connector and a 1/8" line in jack.
                  >

                  > > Maybe we should do a Marymoor Park distance check so
                  > > there'd be a recent QSO on this group.
                  > Sounds good to me!
                  > I have 2 2mtr 5/8 wave magmounts which load up great
                  > on 6 mtrs/49 MHz. Plus I have a GPS that we could use
                  > to measure distance.
                  >

                  > -Peter
                  > KB7INO

                  > The fish are biting.
                  > http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v2.php

                • Peter Abraham - KB7INO
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 13, 2007
                    Hey!

                    Sunday would be good in the afternoon, but the is a
                    chance of rain.

                    Should we try this week, or perhaps put if off a few
                    weeks until the weather gets better?

                    About the antennas, I figured on parking the car at
                    one end and putting the Transmitter there.

                    For the Receiver, walking around with the 5/8 mount on
                    a day pack. I have a ski-slot so I can mounting the
                    antenna is possible... to bad I don't have one of
                    those 6 mtr twin lead J-Poles.

                    Now that I think about it, I could load up a ~12'
                    wire... that would be 5/8 wave on 49 MHz! I would
                    attach the antenna to a fishing pole and secure teh
                    fishing pole to the ski slot... The IC-703 has an
                    internal ATU, so loading it up would not be a
                    problem... I did this for 17 mtrs once... worked just
                    fine.

                    -Peter

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 13, 2007
                      JAN crystals in fort myers fl

                      --- w0jrt <w0jrt@...> wrote:

                      > I once re-crystaled one of the radio shack single
                      > channel 49 MHz
                      > radios for 6m. I purchased my custom crystals from:
                      > http://www.icmfg.com/buildcrystal.html. The service
                      > was fast, as I
                      > recall. The only bad part is that I spent a lot
                      > more on the crystals
                      > that I did on the original radio (purchased when
                      > they were closing
                      > them out.)
                      >
                      > -Jerome
                      >
                      > --- In 49megahertz@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Coles"
                      > <steven_coles@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Anybody have better info and a good crystal
                      > source?

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Steven Coles
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 13, 2007
                        Peter,

                        Better than cold drizzle? I sent an email to your web page address so
                        you can capture my email address.

                        73,

                        Steven

                        <kb7ino_egroups@...> wrote:

                        > Hey!
                        >
                        > Sunday would be good in the afternoon, but the is a
                        > chance of rain.
                        >
                        > Should we try this week, or perhaps put if off a few
                        > weeks until the weather gets better?
                        >
                        > About the antennas, I figured on parking the car at
                        > one end and putting the Transmitter there.
                        >
                        > For the Receiver, walking around with the 5/8 mount on
                        > a day pack. I have a ski-slot so I can mounting the
                        > antenna is possible... to bad I don't have one of
                        > those 6 mtr twin lead J-Poles.
                        >
                        > Now that I think about it, I could load up a ~12'
                        > wire... that would be 5/8 wave on 49 MHz! I would
                        > attach the antenna to a fishing pole and secure teh
                        > fishing pole to the ski slot... The IC-703 has an
                        > internal ATU, so loading it up would not be a
                        > problem... I did this for 17 mtrs once... worked just
                        > fine.
                        >
                        > -Peter

                      • Steven Coles
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 21, 2007
                          : 3 km Report

                          All,

                          Had a chaotic week due to cubical and lab space rearrangements. But I
                          noticed the below post to the VHFAM group using 49-MHz walkie-talkies
                          converted to 6-meter amateur radio.

                          Steven

                          "Not the same rig, but M0BXT and I did a test on 6m AM 18 months ago
                          with Andrew using a small 49MHz AM rig with helical antenna retuned to
                          about 50.7MHz. I was using my FT817 at my end into my colinear 3kms
                          away and we JUST made contact. I'm sure with a decent whip and
                          counterpoise as opposed to a very short, off-tune helical it would
                          have been a solid QSO.

                          "Sounds like worth buying some and experimenting! Any idea what
                          frequency TX crystal used (x2?)

                          "73s
                          "Roger"