Re: 47 on Wikipedia

  • empath_43
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
      Wow!!! Very cool find Judy! I have found Wikipedia to be very
      inclusive. Last Saturday, I saw the musical duet Trout Fishing in
      America. Ezra Idlet is one of the two guys in the band. I was
      shocked and delighted to see that HE was included in Wikipedia.
      Wikipedia is an incredible source of information.

      Em......

      --- In 47society@yahoogroups.com, Judy s <judomom47@...> wrote:

      > Hi Group,
      >
      > I just checked out the number 47 in Wikipedia, and WE
      > are in it! Has anybody mentioned this yet?
      > Check it out, it explains 47 in Star Trek and other
      > programs.
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/47_%28number%29
      >
      > Judy
      > 1347
      >
      > "...You are a child of the Universe, no less than the trees and the
      stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to
      you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should..."
      > from DESIDERATA by Max Ehrmann 1927(41x47)

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Michael Levine
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
        " There exists a 47 society, an outgrowth of a movement started at Pomona
        College, California, USA"

        How many on this list have a relation to Pomona?

        Pomona had NOTHING to do with 47 for me, and the people I knew who got into
        it some 20 years ago, on the east coast, through a dream. I am not
        discounting the 47 Pomona connection, but please, lets not give it all the
        credit.

        Almost 4/7!

        Mike
      • David White
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006

          I agree,

          I started noticing 47 everywhere about 15 years ago in England.  This was before I even knew the 47 society existed or new anything about Pomona college.

          Dave

          To: 47society@yahoogroups.com
          From: mike@...
          Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2006 06:19:38 -0500
          Subject: Re: [47] 47 on Wikipedia

          " There exists a 47 society, an outgrowth of a movement started at Pomona
          College, California, USA"

          How many on this list have a relation to Pomona?

          Pomona had NOTHING to do with 47 for me, and the people I knew who got into
          it some 20 years ago, on the east coast, through a dream. I am not
          discounting the 47 Pomona connection, but please, lets not give it all the
          credit.

          Almost 4/7!

          Mike

          Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
          Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        • Roofus
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
            So all of my sightings were merely based on the fact that the TV was
            the first thing that got me to notice it, and the fact that I have
            seen it from there on out was just coincidence? Its all just one big
            inside joke with writers? I placed faith in this, I chose belief in a
            higher power due to this numbers constant reacurrance. And the whole
            time its been a joke with writers? Someone please tell me theyve seen
            this number before TV started putting it out there...
          • Michael Levine
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
              Yes .... Many of us have seen the number 47 outside and independent of
              television and film, music, etc. I have posted about this before. There is a
              huge difference between someone putting a 47 intentionally in something, vs
              the number actually "coming" to you.

              I actually think its somewhat of a disservice to this number and experience
              when all these writers put it intentionally in their scripts. A dab here or
              there would be unnoticed, but its gotten out of control, and is in direct
              contrast with the whole point of this.

              Wait, did I say there was a point to any of this?! (-;

              Mike

              > So all of my sightings were merely based on the fact that the TV was
              > the first thing that got me to notice it, and the fact that I have
              > seen it from there on out was just coincidence? Its all just one big
              > inside joke with writers? I placed faith in this, I chose belief in a
              > higher power due to this numbers constant reacurrance. And the whole
              > time its been a joke with writers? Someone please tell me theyve seen
              > this number before TV started putting it out there...
              >

              > Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
              > Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
                There are no definitive answers to these questions.

                Some people may see 47 as an inside joke and some may see it as a
                blessing or a curse or something significant for other reasons.

                I hope that people will neither be angered nor change their opinions
                based on what some unnamed person(s) have posted on Wikipedia.

                In case you didn't know, the information there can be edited by
                anyone. If you feel strongly one way or another you are free to add
                to the Wikipedia listing.

                BTW, wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed on everything?

                -Bob

                On Apr 1, 2006, at 13:52, Roofus wrote:

                > So all of my sightings were merely based on the fact that the TV was
                > the first thing that got me to notice it, and the fact that I have
                > seen it from there on out was just coincidence? Its all just one big
                > inside joke with writers? I placed faith in this, I chose belief in a
                > higher power due to this numbers constant reacurrance. And the whole
                > time its been a joke with writers? Someone please tell me theyve seen
                > this number before TV started putting it out there...
                >

                > Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
                > Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • gene ladner
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Perhaps the number "comes" to you even when someone PURPOSELY includes it in a movie, television show, etc. Perhaps the people who do so are UNKNOWING ACCOMPLICES of the cosmos at large. I refuse to accept the INSIGNIFICANCE of discovering that Sydney on ALIAS was actually PROJECT 47, and her birthday is the same as mine, 4/17. It is also the actual birthday of Jennifer Garner, the actress who plays her. The actress was born on the 4th leap year after the year in which I was born ('72), and the fictional character was born in the 5th leap year after mine('76). What a bummer that would be for me if I had to IGNORE such inclusions, simply because they were done ON PURPOSE.
                     Say, I wonder if THIS was done on purpose. Remember the television show M-A-S-H, the 4077th? Turns out that the first time that 4077 shows up in Pi it is in position 2047. Just remove the zeroes in both sets of digits and you have 477 and 247. My trademark is 247. One of the two producers of the TV show was GENE reynolds. I'll take it!                 Gene247

                  Michael Levine <mike@...> wrote:
                  Yes .... Many of us have seen the number 47 outside and independent of
                  television and film, music, etc. I have posted about this before. There is a
                  huge difference between someone putting a 47 intentionally in something, vs
                  the number actually "coming" to you.

                  I actually think its somewhat of a disservice to this number and experience
                  when all these writers put it intentionally in their scripts. A dab here or
                  there would be unnoticed, but its gotten out of control, and is in direct
                  contrast with the whole point of this.

                  Wait, did I say there was a point to any of this?! (-;

                  Mike

                  > So all of my sightings were merely based on the fact that the TV was
                  > the first thing that got me to notice it, and the fact that I have
                  > seen it from there on out was just coincidence? Its all just one big
                  > inside joke with writers? I placed faith in this, I chose belief in a
                  > higher power due to this numbers constant reacurrance. And the whole
                  > time its been a joke with writers? Someone please tell me theyve seen
                  > this number before TV started putting it out there...
                  >

                  > Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
                  > Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • gene ladner

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
                      I believe that the fact that these intentional 47's lead to other
                      spectacular "coincidences" is the most significant phenomena
                      surrounding the #47! These experiences of yours are extraordinary!

                      Em.......

                      --- In 47society@yahoogroups.com, gene ladner <carver24742@...> wrote:

                      > Perhaps the number "comes" to you even when someone PURPOSELY
                      includes it in a movie, television show, etc. Perhaps the people who
                      do so are UNKNOWING ACCOMPLICES of the cosmos at large. I refuse to
                      accept the INSIGNIFICANCE of discovering that Sydney on ALIAS was
                      actually PROJECT 47, and her birthday is the same as mine, 4/17. It
                      is also the actual birthday of Jennifer Garner, the actress who plays
                      her. The actress was born on the 4th leap year after the year in
                      which I was born ('72), and the fictional character was born in the
                      5th leap year after mine('76). What a bummer that would be for me if
                      I had to IGNORE such inclusions, simply because they were done ON
                      PURPOSE.
                      > Say, I wonder if THIS was done on purpose. Remember the
                      television show M-A-S-H, the 4077th? Turns out that the first time
                      that 4077 shows up in Pi it is in position 2047. Just remove the
                      zeroes in both sets of digits and you have 477 and 247. My trademark
                      is 247. One of the two producers of the TV show was GENE reynolds.
                      I'll take it! Gene247

                      > Michael Levine <mike@...> wrote: Yes .... Many of us have seen
                      the number 47 outside and independent of
                      > television and film, music, etc. I have posted about this before.
                      There is a
                      > huge difference between someone putting a 47 intentionally in
                      something, vs
                      > the number actually "coming" to you.
                      >
                      > I actually think its somewhat of a disservice to this number and
                      experience
                      > when all these writers put it intentionally in their scripts. A
                      dab here or
                      > there would be unnoticed, but its gotten out of control, and is in
                      direct
                      > contrast with the whole point of this.
                      >
                      > Wait, did I say there was a point to any of this?! (-;
                      >
                      > Mike
                      >
                      > > So all of my sightings were merely based on the fact that the TV
                      was
                      > > the first thing that got me to notice it, and the fact that I
                      have
                      > > seen it from there on out was just coincidence? Its all just one
                      big
                      > > inside joke with writers? I placed faith in this, I chose belief
                      in a
                      > > higher power due to this numbers constant reacurrance. And the
                      whole
                      > > time its been a joke with writers? Someone please tell me theyve
                      seen
                      > > this number before TV started putting it out there...
                      > >

                      > > Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
                      > > Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society
                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      > >

                      > Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
                      > Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society

                      > Mathematics and
                      computer science
                      Mathematics
                      Society
                      Science

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------
                      >

                      > ---------------------------------
                      30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

                    • empath_43
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
                        Mike!!!

                        I am very much interested in reading about this dream you shared with
                        many other 47ers!!! Please DO ELABORATE!!!

                        Em.......

                        --- In 47society@yahoogroups.com, Michael Levine <mike@...> wrote:

                        > " There exists a 47 society, an outgrowth of a movement started at
                        Pomona
                        > College, California, USA"
                        >
                        > How many on this list have a relation to Pomona?
                        >
                        > Pomona had NOTHING to do with 47 for me, and the people I knew who
                        got into
                        > it some 20 years ago, on the east coast, through a dream. I am not
                        > discounting the 47 Pomona connection, but please, lets not give it
                        all the
                        > credit.
                        >
                        > Almost 4/7!
                        >
                        > Mike

                      • Michael Levine
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
                          It wasn't my dream, but a good friends while we were at college. To
                          summarize, he had a dream with fire, brimstone, and Nazis. There was a book
                          open to page 47. The number burst into flames and was clearly the point of
                          the dream. He woke to tell his friends of this dream, and from there things
                          snowballed.

                          Each 4/7 I try to repost my intro to the number, so I will see if I can dig
                          that up as this is a another example of a "true" 47.

                          As for other's reaction to my post - its too bad we can't have an
                          intelligent discussion about this. As I said, I was not discrediting the
                          47's on TV, etc - but surely we can DISTINGUISH between a sighting of 47
                          that was intentionally put in something, vs. one that comes completely
                          naturally - like a dream, like seeing it on a clock, like having a homeless
                          person walk up to you and ask you for .47 cents, etc.

                          These are VERY different than someone who knows of the 47 phenomena and
                          intentionally puts it into a major broadcast seen by millions. This is not
                          as natural or pure as it coming to you on its own, and if you cant see that,
                          well, you will probably continue to post posts to this list about numbers
                          like "4077" and its relation to Pi (?). How did that relate to 47 again?...
                          I must have missed that? (just remove the zeros from two non connected
                          numbers, and you have what, another number that is NOT 47).

                          This list is supposed to be about 47. This is the number I look for and
                          looks for me. If you start trying to "make" the number out of others, well,
                          IMHO it doesn't count and it clouds the true sightings.

                          Mike

                          > Mike!!!
                          >
                          > I am very much interested in reading about this dream you shared with
                          > many other 47ers!!! Please DO ELABORATE!!!
                          >
                          > Em.......
                          >
                          > --- In 47society@yahoogroups.com, Michael Levine <mike@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> " There exists a 47 society, an outgrowth of a movement started at
                          > Pomona
                          >> College, California, USA"
                          >>
                          >> How many on this list have a relation to Pomona?
                          >>
                          >> Pomona had NOTHING to do with 47 for me, and the people I knew who
                          > got into
                          >> it some 20 years ago, on the east coast, through a dream. I am not
                          >> discounting the 47 Pomona connection, but please, lets not give it
                          > all the
                          >> credit.
                          >>
                          >> Almost 4/7!
                          >>
                          >> Mike
                          >>

                          > Remember to send in your 47 sightings!
                          > Visit the 47 Society Web Site: http://www.47.net/47society
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • gene ladner
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 2, 2006
                            Here's another interesting connection between the TV show M-A-S-H and the number 47. See my original email below for the stuff I found yesterday. I happened to be watching two old reruns of MASH back-to-back on a local channel and Hawkeye PIERCE was the main character in both. In fact, the first one pretty much gave him a long soliloquy for the whole show. I drove through downtown Houston today on highway 45, and exit 47D is the first downtown exit when heading south. The exit is for streets Dallas and PIERCE!!
                                Also, I was already re-reading my posting about MASH, since they come through so quickly now, while I was watching the second episode on a small TV next to the computer. I got to the word INSIGNIFICANCE in my original posting below, which I had also capitalized for emphasis, and someone on the show said INSIGNIFICANT at the EXACT SAME TIME. Not a split second before or after, but EXACTLY. Oddly, the word INSIGNIFICANT is on page 949 of my dictionary, a three digit palindrome that represents the "specialness" of 47, according to a Japanese song: 47 X 2 = 94 and 47 + 2 = 49. The palindrome 949 first shows up in Pi in position 496. The first 9 in the 949 string is the END of the first time 119 shows up in Pi, in position 494. Why is this SIGNIFICANT (still confused about the appearance of INSIGNIFICANCE!)? Simple. The first time that 47 appears in Pi it is in position 119, the string that itself is first found in position 494 and begins the first appearance of 949!!! Everyone confused enough yet?      Gene247