Re: [40Whacks] The Legend of Lizzie Borden

    Message 1 of 25 , May 21, 2002
      Hi Pat:
      End of my narrative is that, had Lizzie entered the guest bedroom, there would have been two bodies found there instead of just Abby and the Lizzie Borden case would not have turned into the Crime of the Century.
      Talk about the Luck of the Irish.  Bridget had it in spades.  P.S.  I love destroying theories people come up with.  I had written a chapter on Victoria Lincoln but had not included it in my book.  No use downgrading a writer that many people accept her book as the gospel truth.  But she had managed to irritate me no end.  Like calling Emma as ugly as an old shoe.  That was uncalled for.  Emma never hurt anyone.

      Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 4:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [40Whacks] The Legend of Lizzie Borden

      In a message dated 5/21/2002 12:06:35 PM US Eastern Standard Time, muriela@... writes:

      I claim Lizzie was in the cellar when Mrs. Borden was killed and her father was reading the Providence Journal at the time.  When she came back up, there sat her father, as unconcerned as all get out, so she had no reason to suspect anything had happened.

      Hi Muriel -- Please continue this narrative... Lizzie was in the cellar, someone was killing Abby, Lizzie comes up from the cellar, there's Dad reading the newspaper, and then what happens?

      Pat in NYC

      Message 2 of 25 , May 21, 2002
        Dear Dennis:
        Seems you are another one who believes what happens in one part of the house can be heard all over the house.  Actually I had written: Bridget had called down to Mr. Borden saying they were moving furniture.  I should have written she dropped the water pitcher.  No matter. If he had called up for an explanation, Bridget must have given him one that satisfied him and explains why he was still looking at the newspaper when Lizzie came up from the cellar.
        As usual, no matter what you discover, another question pops up.  Lizzie testified the guest bedroom door was closed when she went up, yet it was open when Bridget and Mrs. Churchill went up.  Who opened it?  Ask Bridget.

        Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 4:43 PM

        are u suggesting that mr borden was downstairs in the livingroom and didnt hear his wife being hacked to pieces upstairs?must have really been into that paper.please explain if im reading u wrong.no disrespect intended.dennis from toledo

        Message 3 of 25 , May 21, 2002
          Okay, it was decided that Mrs. Borden must have hit the floor with a thud which must have shook the house.  Lizzie, in the cellar, testified she heard nothing.  On the other hand, Bridget, outside washing windows on the opposite side of the house, claimed she heard a thud but paid no attention to it.  I believe that as much as I believe Bridget claiming she heard the front door open and close while she was talking to Mary Doolan, the Kelly maid.  Give me a break.

          Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 4:43 PM

          Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 8:52 AM

          Message 4 of 25 , May 22, 2002
            In a message dated 5/21/2002 10:32:16 PM US Eastern Standard Time, muriela@... writes:

            End of my narrative is that, had Lizzie entered the guest bedroom, there would have been two bodies found there instead of just Abby and the Lizzie Borden case would not have turned into the Crime of the Century.

            What I was curious about what you think happened is... how did Andrew get killed? Do you believe Lizzie then went to the barn and the killer (Bridget) then came downstairs and killed Andrew?

            Message 5 of 25 , May 22, 2002
              Hi Pat:
              Bridget never did go upstairs, the back one that is.  As soon as Lizzie left the house, she went up the front stairs, retrieved  the murder weapon, came down and killed Mr. Borden.  Lizzie almost caught her when she returned from the barn.

              Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:43 AM

              Message 6 of 25 , May 22, 2002
                In a message dated 5/22/2002 11:46:49 AM US Eastern Standard Time, muriela@... writes:

                Lizzie almost caught her when she returned from the barn.

                I'm not trying to grill you, in case it reads like I am, just trying to understand how you see it.

                So, if what you believe is this case, why wouldn't Lizzie have thought Bridget was involved? And why is there no record of Lizzie musing with friends, neighbors, police about whether Bridget was involved? Do you think Lizzie never even considered the possibility of Bridget?

                And one more question -- what in your mind is Bridget's motive?

                Message 7 of 25 , May 22, 2002
                  Hi Pat:
                  It was till nearly the end of the trial that Lizzie made a remark to Mary Livingston (an established author of the time who had known Lizzie's mother, Sarah, that she had never harm a single human being and couldn't understand why someone, under her own roof was against her, that she had done favors for in the past.
                  Like Knowlton tried to convince the jurors at the trial:  "There need be no motive, but there was always a cause."  If you got Edward Radin's book, he gave examples for this.