Re: [40Whacks] (unknown)

  • Jay Selberg
    Message 1 of 17 , May 21, 2002
      I enjoyed Private Disgrace, genteely written, I thought.  And it did give me much food for thought, as I think she puts forth an interesting theory.

      I sympathize totally with the sinus thing, especially this time of year with allergies.  Yuch!

      Jay

      i got sick,i went over the group's old postings,and came away with
      some good leads on some books i then ordered from the library.With
      any luck, they should arrive some time this week.I'm particularly
      looking forward to ''A Private DISGRACE'',by Victoria Lincoln,and
      Lizzie Borden by Edward Radin.

      Thanks, Mark

      Message 2 of 17 , May 21, 2002
        Hey Jay:
        Never a word was written during 1892-1893 about Lizzie being epileptic.  Knowlton wanted her tested for insanity but Jennings refused.  Knowlton sent a State Detective and he returned with his reporting saying he found no insanity in the Borden family but that the Morses' were weird.
        I loved the way Victoria Lincoln disposed of the epileptic theory.  Seems her cure for epilepsy is to kill your parents!!!  Get real.  Mrs. Whitehead did not like Emma or Lizzie.  Do you think for one moment that she would not have blabbed out this information?

        Message 3 of 17 , May 21, 2002
          Thanks, Muriel.  Very interesting.

          Now tell me, your passion is contagious!  I like how strongly you feel about the fact that Lizzie is innocent.  At the bottom of your messages is a bit about you are the author of Lizzie Borden, Hands of Time.  Where is this available to read your theories?

          thanks,

          Message 4 of 17 , May 21, 2002
            Hi Jay:
            Not too many libraries have copies of my book.  I have quite a number on hand.  The only other places you can get a copy is at the Fall River Historical Society or the Lizzie Borden Bed and Breakfast.  I will autograph those I sell.  If interested, contact me at muriela@... and I will let you know the rest.

            Message 5 of 17 , May 25, 2002
              Mark:
              I really don't know how far Marion is away from Fall River, as I don't
              remember ever having gone there. Oops, just looked at the map. It is about
              10 miles from Fairhaven on 195, so I'd say it is 25 to 30 miles from Fall
              River.
              As for Lizzie being given drugs, it would not have affected her at the
              inquest because Bowen would have given her the drugs after she came back.
              Three druggists told me the effect would not have lasted more than 12 hours.
              The drug would have worn off by then. On the other hand, it might have had
              some effect, as being suspect, she was bound to have been nervous every time
              they came for her for questioning.
              Dear Knowlton had had the audacity to claim she was called only to learn
              what she knew about the murders, the same as everyone else. Bull. It
              wasn't an inquest, it was an inquisition.
              Muriel Arnold

              Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time
              Message 6 of 17 , May 25, 2002
                Hi Mark:
                The incest theory was used as a reason why she killed her father, but to me,
                Andrew Borden had the sex drive of a three day old dead mackerel. He lived
                only for the making of money.
                It'd been months since he'd gotten rid of his horse and had no intention of
                buying another, yet the hay remained in the barn, waiting for someone to pay
                full price for it.

                Mark, where did you hear about Andrew Borden being a necrophiliac? That is
                a new one on me. And I thought the nightie one was far-fetched!!
                Let's face it, people die and that entailed funeral expenses. Some had it
                that he overcharged for caskets and got the heirs to sell him the decease's
                property as cheap as possible so he could resell it for double his
                investment.

                No, Mark, I do not believe Andrew was a necrophiliac. The accumulation of
                money ruled his life. Take:
                The city needed the property he owned on Plymouth Avenue for a fire station.
                Andrew sold it to them for $30,000!!!
                On August 2nd, 1892, he and Abby were sick that night, yet he attended a
                meeting to see about some organization putting up a building on land he
                owned. The building had to cost at least $65,000, rent of the land to be 3%
                per year, but at the end of 25 years, the land and building would belong to
                him!. They turned him down and the meeting broke up.

                To my knowledge, Andrew Borden did only two unselfish things in his life.
                l. Buying half of the 4th St. house and deeding it to Abby, so when he
                died, she'd have a roof over her head.
                2. When his father died, he paid his sister $3,000 for her share of his
                father's house. As his stepmother had to sell to repay a loan at the bank,
                he also gave her $3,000. You can't count his giving the house to Emma and
                Lizzie as an unselfish act, as they would have inherited it anyway.
                3. Maybe. When he paid Emma and Lizzie $5,000 when he bought it back a few
                months before he was killed. Either they were tired of it or, most likely,
                he had found where he could sell it at quite a profit.
                Have a nice day Mark. End of book.
                Muriel Arnold

                Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time
                Message 7 of 17 , May 26, 2002

                  Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time
                  Message 8 of 17 , May 26, 2002
                    Mark:
                    Old man Borden cared as much for the dead as he did for the living.
                    Preparing corpses for burial was purely business, nothing else, and yes, I
                    also read that article, and two versions about Lizzie killing Mrs. Borden's
                    cat. Bet she never had one.
                    Makes me wonder though if Andrew ever thought of what could be done with the
                    blood he extracted from the bodies. (Make blood pudding?) Oh well, I'll
                    wait for someone to come up with that one.
                    The next thing that we can expect some author to introduce into the Borden
                    case, is claiming Andrew Borden was homosexual, Lizzie found out and that
                    was her motive for killing him.
                    Back in the 1980's, my sister in Florida and I would go home twice a year
                    to mama's. While there, we would go and xerox all the articles we could
                    find on the Borden case from half a dozen newspapers. We'd spend the nights
                    reading them. Some of the articles were hilarious.
                    Credit for most of these "pulp" articles goes to Edwin McHenry, the
                    so-called Private Investigator. The last of these I'd come across was in
                    late December 1892, when Bridget supposedly testified that a burned piece of
                    clothing, found in the ashes, came from the dress Lizzie wore the morning of
                    the murders. Fearing arrest, McHenry had high-tailed it to New York in
                    early December.
                    Sorry if I didn't answer all your questions because I forgot to copy what
                    you'd written before answering. Maybe next time.

                    Message 9 of 17 , May 30, 2002
                      Hi Mark:
                      Read both some time back. Didn't like Engstrom's version one bit. Don't
                      remember Dance of Death hardly. But, Engstrom's was one that came out like,
                      "Read it and forget it." I couldn't wait to get to the end of that book.
                      The book I'm wanting to read (must have read about 20 books on this case) is
                      someone coming out with Andrew Borden being homosexual. Can't wait to learn
                      who his paramour will be.
                      Andrew Borden had three daughters: Emma in 1851; Alice in 1856, and Lizzie
                      in 1860, so those pregnancies were planned. After Lizzie, he called it
                      quits. Why didn't he teach Lizzie to take over? Lizzie wasn't overly
                      bright, but she could have learned.
                      Muriel Arnold

                      Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 30, 2002
                        I also read Engstrom's book and I agree with Muriel,
                        in fact I think I disliked it more than any other book
                        I have read on Lizzie. I found it good reading at
                        first but toward the end I couldn't wait to get
                        through with it, it seemed to go on and on.

                        I have also read "Dance of Death" and liked it much
                        better than Engstrom's book. Agnes DeMille put in some
                        interesting little tidbits that I hadn't read anywhere
                        else.

                        Siri

                        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                      • WestList@AOL.com
                        Message 11 of 17 , May 31, 2002
                          In a message dated 5/30/2002 10:01:12 PM Central Standard Time, muriela@... writes:

                          Andrew Borden had three daughters:  Emma in 1851; Alice in 1856, and Lizzie
                          in 1860, so those pregnancies were planned.

                          What happened to Alice?  I've read quite a bit on the Borden case, although
                          it's been awhile, and at my age, one tends to forget details <g>.

                          Thanks!
                        • RevCOAL
                          Message 12 of 17 , May 31, 2002
                            Alice died in infancy...

                            June

                            Message 13 of 17 , May 31, 2002
                              Hi:
                              Alice died in 1858.  Don't know the cause of death, but it was probably something going around that killed the old and the young back then.  My mother (born 1899), would have had twin sisters.  One died.  When the relatives returned from the funeral, they found that the other twin had died.  That occurred before my mother was born.

                              Message 14 of 17 , Jun 1, 2002
                                Mark:
                                There's no way you could get me to try to find and re-read Engstrom's book.
                                It was the pits.
                                1. Trip to barn: The cops had been there in June when someone stole some
                                of Lizzie's pigeons.
                                2. Emma, Chief instigator? Very unlikely. She catered to Lizzie. As for
                                her being a closet alcoholic? The cops would have found liquor in that
                                closet had there been any. A big fat no on that one.
                                3. Lizzie a multiple personality? If she had it, she sure as hell managed
                                to keep it from everyone. No sign of that either.
                                4. Lesbian? I hardly think that either. Not even with one woman.
                                Many claim Lizzie should have brought hay in on the hem of her dress. What
                                would that have proven? The cops had been all over the barn. They could
                                have brought some in the house on their shoes and Lizzie have the misfortune
                                to get some on hers if she'd walked where they had walked.
                                The amazing thing is her not having blood on her shoes. The cops with their
                                big feet could have gotten some on theirs and her walk where they had walked
                                and picked some up that way. But no blood was found on them.

                                Oh, I found someone who could be used as Andrew Borden's paramour. What
                                about Charles Cook, Borden's insurance agent? He was responsible for
                                collecting rents for Andrew and they spoke nearly every day.
                                Got to go now. Take care.

                                Author of Lizzie Borden Hands of Time
                                Message 15 of 17 , Nov 14, 2005
                                  Hi Patsy -- I think we're all still here. I was ready to comment on the latest "Dead Tenants" show which I did remember to watch after June's prompting, but it was pretty dumb this week. I do think if Ghost Hunters and Dead Tenants could be combined, it would be one great show.