Re: [40Whacks] re: The Borden family

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 17, 2001
      Muriel, is it a fact that Bridget was a drinker? Based on what I have read
      about Abby, she did not seem to be a confrontational person. Wouldn't it
      have been a lot easier if Bridget just left that job? The Bordens were not
      her first employers in Amerca, and she left the previous job. As far as
      getting away, I think I would have wanted to put that misery behind me also,
      and she had relatives in Montana. Although I personally don't think that
      that was the only reason she left. I think she did not want to be questioned
      any further because I think she did know more of what happened than she let
      on.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2001
        Patsy, I reached that conclusion by her always having headaches when she got up.  Women back then were expected back home by 9 p.m.  She got home at 10 that Wednesday night.  My friend in New Hampshire told me she learned Bridget liked her drinks without my even mentioning my thinking her headaches were in reality hangovers.

        I read somewhere where Lizzie and Emma took to calling each new maid Maggie because the turnover in maids were so frequent.  Bridget was paid $3 a week; the price of a cook.  Maids got $2.50.

        Bridget had it made.  She had no duties on the second floor and no kids to look after.  She also had one and one-half days off each week.  The 1893 depression began in 1892.  No way did Bridget want to lose her job.

        I made a mistake earlier when I said  Bridget went out and gabbed with the Kelly maid around 8:50.  It was more like 8:46 and by 8:52 was back in the house.  Abby was killed between 8:53 and 9:00, so Andrew Borden, being home, had to be killed.  Bridget could lie like a rug.  If Knowlton had stayed home in New Bedford, the Fall River police would have solved this case before the month was over with.