Re:[40Whacks] re: The Borden family

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2001
      Patsy, Bridget's motive was simple; she just didn't feel up to washing all those windows and Mrs. Borden wouldn't back down.  It was a case of wash them or else.  Remember, Bridget said she was always having headaches.  Well, my friend and I both agree that those headaches were hangovers from the night before.

      Bridget's gabbing over the fence occurred when she first went out around 8:50.  Bridget never washed any outside windows and rinsed off only one; the one Mrs. Churchill saw her doing sometime between 10:15 and 10:20.  And, Mrs. Borden was killed around 9 a.m. and NOT shortly after 9:30.  Mr. Borden, being home at the time, was the reason he had to go when he got back.  Talk about Luck of the Irish, Bridget had it in spades.
       Lizzie didn't hire Bridget to kill her parents.  Bridget got away from the Borden house as quickly as possible.  She couldn't risk Lizzie start asking her questions about that morning.

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 17, 2001
        Muriel, is it a fact that Bridget was a drinker? Based on what I have read
        about Abby, she did not seem to be a confrontational person. Wouldn't it
        have been a lot easier if Bridget just left that job? The Bordens were not
        her first employers in Amerca, and she left the previous job. As far as
        getting away, I think I would have wanted to put that misery behind me also,
        and she had relatives in Montana. Although I personally don't think that
        that was the only reason she left. I think she did not want to be questioned
        any further because I think she did know more of what happened than she let
        on.
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 17, 2001
          Patsy, I reached that conclusion by her always having headaches when she got up.  Women back then were expected back home by 9 p.m.  She got home at 10 that Wednesday night.  My friend in New Hampshire told me she learned Bridget liked her drinks without my even mentioning my thinking her headaches were in reality hangovers.

          I read somewhere where Lizzie and Emma took to calling each new maid Maggie because the turnover in maids were so frequent.  Bridget was paid $3 a week; the price of a cook.  Maids got $2.50.

          Bridget had it made.  She had no duties on the second floor and no kids to look after.  She also had one and one-half days off each week.  The 1893 depression began in 1892.  No way did Bridget want to lose her job.

          I made a mistake earlier when I said  Bridget went out and gabbed with the Kelly maid around 8:50.  It was more like 8:46 and by 8:52 was back in the house.  Abby was killed between 8:53 and 9:00, so Andrew Borden, being home, had to be killed.  Bridget could lie like a rug.  If Knowlton had stayed home in New Bedford, the Fall River police would have solved this case before the month was over with.