Re: [40Whacks] 1972 Wyoming?

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 15, 2001
      Dear JT and Group,
      I hope you are able to get to the bottom of that photo. You have to ask
      yourself....what's the point here?

      Anyway, it is easy to believe that Emma resented Abby more than Lizzie since
      she was ten years older and saw her as an unwanted replacement for her mother.
      That being said, I never got the feeling that Emma was in the know.

      Patsy
    • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2 12:28 PM
        --- In 40Whacks@y..., "Jeffrey K. Tesch" <jktesch@c...> wrote:
        > What's really macabre about it is that I AM in that picture.

        Wait, don't tell me...

        You're the one whose tie is as wide as his 'fro... ;-)

        June
      • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 2 12:47 PM
          --- In 40Whacks@y..., "Jeffrey K. Tesch" <jktesch@c...> wrote:
          > It was just OK. The Actress playing Emma looked 20 years younger
          >than the one playing Lizzie, even with her gray hair. And in this
          >version Lizzie is the mother figure while Emma is like a dreamy
          >child. Lizzie finally sends her back to Fairhaven after threatening
          >a lady reporter who had found the hatchet while interviewing the
          >sisters.

          Can't say that I've ever heard of this episode...

          But I'd wonder why a "lady reporter" was able to find evidence up a
          chimney when the police, who almost tore the house apart, could not...

          Which chimney? Surely not the one for the kitchen stove....

          > Interesting point: Emma claims that she hated Abby even more than
          >Lizzie,

          Probably true. Remember, Emma was about 12 when her mother died, and
          about 14 when Andrew remarried, while Lizzie was little more than an
          infant when her mother died and only about 2 years old when Abby came
          on the scene...

          Emma would have had a better memory of her natural mother, would have
          acted the role of mother to Lizzie and mistress of the house, if not
          actually 'wife' to Andrew (no sexual allegations implied)...

          Even birth mothers have problems with their children when they reach
          their teens...I'm sure that Abby found Emma quite cool towards her
          when Andrew married her...but I suspect that with Emma it was acted
          out in a passive-aggressive manner...with Lizzie as the go-between...

          By all accounts Abby was a pretty nice lady (although I suspect she
          wasn't the pushover that modern writers cast her as), and I don't
          believe two-year old Lizzie would have hated Abby from the start. I
          think that Lizzie probably had a pretty good relationship with Abby
          for most of the time, albeit with Emma playing her own passive-
          aggressive games on the sidelines...