Re: [40Whacks] Digest Number 161

  • kathleen chamberlain
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 19, 2001
      At 12:43 PM 03/09/2001 EST, you wrote:
      >I've dealt with Patterson Smith as well - he's great! He was the one who
      >first told me that Lizzie buying up and burning "all but a few copies" of
      >the Fall River Tragedy is a myth. He says he's had quite a few come through
      >his hands over the years. Wouldn't we all like to have one!
      >
      >Elisabeth

      When I went to the Lizzie Borden Centennial Conference in Fall River in
      1992, the Fall River Historical Society was selling reprint facsimile copies
      of Porter's "Fall River Tragedy." I don't know if they still have them, but
      they were much less expensive and easier to come by than the originals!

      Patterson Smith was at the conference, and his presentation on rare/used
      Lizzie books was fascinating. He found me a couple of Lizzie things that
      I'd wanted.

      Kathleen

      Dr. Kathleen Chamberlain
      Associate Dean of Faculty