Dr. Bowen and Drugs

  • Tango9311@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20 11:00 AM
      Hi everyone...

      While doing some research for a project totally unrelated to my interest
      in the Borden murders, I came across some information about morphine
      and its use.

      About a year ago we had a bit of discussion here regarding the drugs
      administered to Lizzie by Dr. Bowen. My feeling was that the lack of
      coherency and the inconsistencies given by Lizzie during her inquest
      testimony could be attributed to the drugs she was receiving.

      If I recall correctly, someone -- JT? -- replied that Lizzie was given
      morphine, and that yes, morphine INJECTIONS could cause the
      incoherency, but that Lizzie was not given injections of the drug.
      Instead, she was given the medication orally.

      What I learned today now has me a bit confused. According to my
      research, morphine is either injected or "dusted" onto a wound for
      relief of pain. I haven't found any references to morphine being
      administered orally. But... the research I've done has dealt
      primarily with medical treatment during and immediately after
      the Civil War -- a few decades before Lizzie was drugged.

      So, can someone clarify a few things for me? Here are my questions:

      Was Lizzie given morphine, or did Dr. Bowen treat her with a different drug?
      If he treated her with morphine, how was it administered?
      Was there an orally-administered form of morphine then?
      Is there one now?
      If Lizzie wasn't given morphine, what drug was she given?
      How long did she receive the drugs?

      Any answers anyone has will not only help me understand Lizzie
      better, but might also be very helpful in my current research project.

      Thanks!

      Linn