Re: [40Whacks] 1900 House - week 2

    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 24 8:46 AM
      Hi Group,
      I just wanted to comment on June's observations about the 1900 house and how
      it relates to the Borden mystery. I, too, was really amazed when the mother
      went off the deep end so early in their stay. How did she get so physically
      and mentally exhausted after a few days! Not only that, but I know that if I
      knew I was being filmed for all the world to see I would have pretended to
      be a little more hardy. I have to admit though that you have to respect her
      for expressing exactly how she felt when she felt it. She probaby realized
      that this was going to be a lot harder than she thought....and now her whole
      family was involved and there was no turning back.

      I have been to the Borden house and my husband and I stayed in Abby and
      Andrew's bedroom. We chose that room because it had a private bath. In the
      area that is now a bathroom in my Borden books, it is designated with the
      word "sink". Otherwise it is not marked. I think in the old days it may
      have been a large storage space.

      I am looking forward to next week's episode.

      Patsy751
    • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 25 5:32 AM
        From: <Patsy751@...>
        > I just wanted to comment on June's observations about the 1900 house
        and how
        > it relates to the Borden mystery. I, too, was really amazed when the
        mother
        > went off the deep end so early in their stay. How did she get so
        physically
        > and mentally exhausted after a few days!

        It wasn't even a 'few days', but the 2nd, or perhaps 3rd day!

        Remember, on the first day in the house, the kids were shown commenting
        that "tomorrow is Mom's birthday"...and it was on her birthday that Mom
        'lost it' (later feeling better when she saw her gift of chickens)...

        The only thing I wasn't clear on was whether the day the kids were
        saying that the next day was their mother's birthday was the day they
        had moved in, or the next day (which would have been their 'first day'
        if you start counting from when they first slept in the house and don't
        count the day they moved in)...

        Either way, it was pretty soon for the mother to have lost her cool so
        completely...

        Of course the little boy wasn't helping anything with his refusal to
        eat anything...at least the daughters are making the attempt to cope
        and adjust and make the best of things, but the son seems to be
        somewhat spoiled and sulky...

        I thought it was interesting that we just saw the daughters making
        items to give to their mother as birthday gifts, and making the attempt
        to bake a cake; while the son just hung around watching his father and
        the other men making the chicken coop. If you noticed, there were a
        few scenes showing the boy in the house still in his modern school
        clothes, but we never saw the daughters in anything but their 1900-era
        outfits (the children are allowed to wear modern clothes when they go
        to school)...so I suspect the boy is going to be the cause of some
        strife in the future.

        > Not only that, but I know that if I
        > knew I was being filmed for all the world to see I would have
        pretended to
        > be a little more hardy.

        Yes...in other PBS shows where they moved in with a family and filmed
        it for months, it always took some months before cracks showed in the
        facade...

        I wonder if it being her birthday factored into her 'breakdown'...

        I also have another theory...PMS. Why? Remember the teaser at the end
        of the show, when they were showing highlights of Episode 3? They show
        the mother and the daughters in a convenience store, and the voiceover
        asking something to the effect of "Find out what item the mother and
        daughters can't live without..."

        My guess is that it's sanitary napkins and/or tampons... ;-)

        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 25 10:04 AM
          Hi Group,
          Well I hope that "the group" doesn't feel that we are getting off the subject
          of LB, but one more comment on the 1900 house as it relates to June's
          observation about the boy not eating. The mother made the statement that he
          was going to "starve to death:". Let me submit that that was a bit of an
          overreaction....believe me if he was hungry enough he would eat. Of course,
          I am guilty of making statements like that myself, but it was usually because
          I was at the end of my rope at the time! So tomorrow night's episode should
          be very interesting.

          Patsy751
        • R Bruno
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 25 3:08 PM

            >I also have another theory...PMS. Why? Remember the teaser at the end
            >of the show, when they were showing highlights of Episode 3? They show
            >the mother and the daughters in a convenience store, and the voiceover
            >asking something to the effect of "Find out what item the mother and
            >daughters can't live without..."
            >
            >My guess is that it's sanitary napkins and/or tampons... ;-)
            >
            >June

            My guess is CHOCOLATE!:-)
            Renata

          • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 25 5:30 PM
              From: "R Bruno" <rbtrad@...>
              > >My guess is that it's sanitary napkins and/or tampons... ;-)
              >
              > My guess is CHOCOLATE!:-)

              But chocolate was available in 1900...they wouldn't need to sneak to
              the local co-op for chocolate, just buy a variety available 100 years
              ago...

              No, I still am holding out that the contraband goods are feminine
              sanitary supplies... ;-)

              June
            • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 25 5:44 PM
                From: <Frikkie68@...>
                > I am thinking that maybe it could be something for the spoiled little
                boy to
                > eat...

                Possibly...but only Mrs. Bowles and her daughters are shown in the
                co-op, not the boy...

                >but the feminine products still get my vote! ; )

                Yep...if you remember, in the first episode someone was showing Mrs.
                Bowles how to sew up some homemade sanitary napkins, and she put the
                kabosh on that...

                And just regular everyday laundry ala 1900 did her in...so I suspect
                that wearing cotton rags and soaking the blood-soaked rags (sorry, any
                guys reading this! <g>) in a pail like Lizzie and Emma and Bridget did
                (see, I CAN bring this back to topic! <g>) is something slightly more
                than beyond the pale (pun IS intended) for Mrs. Bowles...

                June ;-)
              • Frikkie68@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 25 6:40 PM
                  I am thinking that maybe it could be something for the spoiled little boy to
                  eat...but the feminine products still get my vote! ; )

                  Michelle
                • R Bruno
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 26 2:05 PM
                    Hi June!
                    I think you're probably right but I still have this feeling they may be
                    craving for some twix or kit kat...guess it's because I would. ;-) Anyway,
                    unlike Lizzie's many mysteries, this is one question we'll be able to answer
                    tonight, huh? By the way, I'm really enjoying this series and I'm looking
                    forward to watching it. :-)
                    Renata

                    >From: "Ynr Chyldz Wyld" <revcoal@...>
                    >To: <40Whacks@egroups.com>
                    >Subject: Re: [40Whacks] 1900 House - week 2
                    >Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 20:30:49 -0400
                    >
                    >From: "R Bruno" <rbtrad@...>
                    > > >My guess is that it's sanitary napkins and/or tampons... ;-)
                    > >
                    > > My guess is CHOCOLATE!:-)
                    >
                    >But chocolate was available in 1900...they wouldn't need to sneak to
                    >the local co-op for chocolate, just buy a variety available 100 years
                    >ago...
                    >
                    >No, I still am holding out that the contraband goods are feminine
                    >sanitary supplies... ;-)
                    >

                    >June

                  • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 26 2:24 PM
                      From: "R Bruno" <rbtrad@...>
                      > Hi June!
                      > I think you're probably right but I still have this feeling they may
                      be
                      > craving for some twix or kit kat...guess it's because I would. ;-)

                      Nope...we're both wrong.

                      The TV Guide gives it away in its write-up for tonite's show...

                      The product Mrs. Bowles and her daughters can't live without
                      is.....shampoo.

                      Geez, I'm still holding out for them to cheat on the feminine hygiene
                      stuff...after all, if something like shampoo drove them to 'cheat', I
                      can't imagine them handling 1900-era "wimmins stuff" any better....

                      > By the way, I'm really enjoying this series and I'm looking
                      > forward to watching it. :-)

                      I like watching it because it helps put into perspective many of the
                      things we've discussed regarding the Borden household...things
                      regarding dress, household chores, etc.

                      Just seeing what was involved in Mrs. Bowles getting a decent bath in
                      the last episode, I then wonder how Lizzie, if she indeed was the
                      culprit in the murders, was able to keep clean or get clean in such a
                      short amount of time.

                      I've already mentioned how the show's statement regarding how dangerous
                      both gaslight and hotwater boilers were of the era puts Andrew Borden's
                      supposed 'miserliness' in not installing either in the house in a whole
                      different light. He could have very well been more concerned with the
                      safety aspects (or lack thereof) than in the costs...

                      And the problems the Bowles have had in getting the stove to work
                      properly lends credence to Lizzie's claim that she was having a problem
                      getting her flatirons hot enough to properly iron her handkerchiefs...

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 27 8:15 AM
                        Hi Group,
                        I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the latest episode of the 1900 house:

                        Actually, I think Bridget had kind of a cushy job by the standards of the
                        day. I believe that Lizzie and Emma took care of their own rooms. Plus, we
                        know that Mrs. Borden cleaned around the house also. Wasn't she dusting
                        downstairs on the day of the murder?

                        Did you notice that nobody suggested prussic acid to get rid of the bugs last
                        night?

                        I like Elizabeth, and for reasons that I can't explain, I am not liking the
                        mother as well. Somehow I feel betrayed that she no longer has the hardships
                        of the majority of the women of the day who could not afford a "girl".

                        Is the father "playing" at being the master of the house or is he really
                        beginning to enjoy his new status?

                        I am literally worn out (and can't help but think of my grandmother who had
                        nine children) at the end of the show, and can understand why is was so hard
                        for women to be anything but a drudge. At the end of the day, they were too
                        exhausted to think of anything but getting into bed!

                        Patsy751
                      • Ynr Chyldz Wyld
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 27 3:12 PM
                          From: <Patsy751@...>
                          > I like Elizabeth, and for reasons that I can't explain, I am not
                          liking the
                          > mother as well. Somehow I feel betrayed that she no longer has the
                          hardships
                          > of the majority of the women of the day who could not afford a
                          "girl".

                          Actually, the majority of families COULD 'afford a girl', and did.
                          Even middleclass families had at least one servant. Only the really
                          poor couldn't afford to hire someone.

                          > Is the father "playing" at being the master of the house or is he
                          really
                          > beginning to enjoy his new status?

                          I got the feeling he was enjoying it.