Re: [40Whacks] INTRO....

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
      obladi-obladah@... writes:

      << I would really be interested in hearing from those of you who have been in
      the house and your feelings on it, as well as All comments andinfo,i'm very
      interested in all. >>

      I went to the house last fall -- actually it was my Pilgramage to Fall River.
      I went by myself since no friend (humph on them!) would go with me so I went
      by myself for my birthday present. I don't know if you can access the
      archives, but I did report my minute by minute goings on back in October 1999.

      I remember the feeling I had standing at the front door waiting for them to
      open it... I had bought my ticket and then waiting around a bit and finally
      the woman said that she would meet us by the front door and we were standing
      there... and I couldn't believe I would actually see the place I'd read about
      for years.

      My reaction was how small the house was... I think I had thought of it as a
      "big old house" when it's tiny (even from my New York City perspective). I
      wished the house were presented more historically accurate in terms of
      decorations and furnishings.

      The other thing that struck me about the whole weekend in Fall River was the
      huge difference -- even today -- between where Lizzie's house is and "The
      Hill"... I saw Maplecroft, but wasn't able to go in because it was closed for
      the season -- I guess it's only open for the summer. The other thing that was
      freaky was going to the cemetery -- that made these characters real people
      and not just characters in a book.

      Oh, and of course seeing the artifacts in the Historical Society was
      thrilling too.

      Pat in NY too.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
        A P.S. to what I wrote about the house... my other complaint at the time was
        the dopey patter of the young woman who was a tour guide -- typical
        touristy-bad joke stuff... lots of allusions to OJ... the talk was very
        focused on Lizzie's guilt.

        This young woman was actually very knowledgeable and was most interesting
        when she was talking as herself. The tour concludes in the kitchen when you
        stand around and ask questions. I forgot how it came out, but I questioned
        something she had said and she said that she didn't really believe it but
        that her bosses "make her" say the same words on the tour.

        Despite this, it really was a thrilling experience -- if anyone reading this
        has not been, it's well worth the trip... I flew into Providence, Rhode
        Island and drove about 30 minutes to Fall River ... Boston is nearby... so
        there's loads to do in the area.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 8, 2000
          Hi Jackie,
          Welcome. I have to say that I really enjoyed your enthusiasm about your LB
          house tour. I have already spoken about my visit, but just a few words in
          case someone else new hasn't gone into the past achives. I live it
          Massachusetts so my sacrifice for traveling was small.....however, my
          husband's sacrifice was great since we went for our wedding anniversary. So
          he was convinced that he had married a loon, but I was thrilled.

          We booked Abby and Andrew's room because that had a private bathroom which
          made me feel more comfortable. However, when push came to shove, we ended up
          sleeping in the small dressing room off of that room which has a bed also
          because I felt really spooked. Silly, huh?

          Any my first impression of the house was one of familiarity. I guess I had
          read and knew so much about the case that when I walked into the house, it
          felt like I had been there before. My reaction to the size of the house was
          the same as yours....I couldn't believe how small it was.

          When I woke up the next morning, the sun was streaming in the window, the
          birds were chirping, and it felt positively charming and cozy. The people
          that were there at the same time that I was were very quiet and distant which
          I found disappointing, and I thought maybe we're ALL weird being here in the
          first place!!!

          I would give ANYTHING to read old issue of the LB quarterly since I just got
          my first copy with the last issue. I don't know how to go about getting my
          hands on them.

          Patsy751