Interesting Thoughts from JBain

  • Tango9311@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 1999
      I recently received this e-mail from JBain@....
      With his permission, I'm forwarding it on to the list.
      I found his comments very interesting.

      From JBain@...:

      An interesting thought brought on by a personal experience.

      My stepmother passed away Saturday night after a very lengthy illness. She
      had been married to my dad for 22 years and though we were not extremely
      close I can say that I loved and respected her for the joy that she brought
      to him over the years.

      Many friends and associates have called or approached me to express their
      sympathies and pay their respects. She was a good lady and will be missed by
      many people.

      Many of them have mistakely said, "I'm sorry for the loss of your mother." I
      have been amazed at how many times the responses, "She was not my mother," or
      "She was my stepmother," has come from my lips without thought or particular
      intention.

      Needless to say (warped LB fan that I am) Lizzie comes immediately to my mind
      on each ocassion.

      I did not hate my stepmother, we were very good friends, and I would never
      have chopped her up with an axe . . . . AND . . . I no longer think of this
      response as one that is indicative of guilt or malice on Lizzie's part.

      She may, in fact, have murdered her stepmother, (and don't believe that she
      had an endearing relationship with Abby) but I have removed this mark from my
      "suspicious acts or words" list in her column.

      JBain8113@...
    • Autumn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 7, 1999
        Interesting insight. I hadn't thought of it that way,
        but 25 plus years with the habit of saying "not my
        mother, MY stepmother" is not an admission of murder
        or hatred for the person. I have reasons for believing
        Lizzie did it but, that is a good point and that
        comment shouldn't be held against her.