Bridget

  • Jeffrey K. Tesch
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 13, 1999
      Bridget was directed to look for Abby up the front stairs by Lizzie herself,
      according to Alice Russell and Mrs. Churchill. She made this request of
      Bridget the moment Dr. Bowen left the house... Very suspicious.

      Also, Dr. Bowen's wife confirmed that Abby had visited her husband's office
      the day before the murders.

      June raised some interesting points. I will respond shortly with my counter
      points...

      Go Red Sox!

      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 2, 2001
        Does anyone think it odd that Bridget moved to Montana?

        Pat in NYC
      • RevCOAL
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 3, 2001
          Yes, I always thought it was strange.  The official explanation was that she had a relative out there, but ostensibly the relative was there in 1892 and before, so why didn't Bridget move there before?

          One could conjecture that it was to get away from the adverse publicity, Montana being pretty remote then (and still is); perhaps it's just coincidence that Montana was the only state of the union at that time to allow women to vote, but I wonder if Bridge saw it as the only place she could be a truly free and independent woman....

          Sent: 12/2/01 7:31:43 PM
          Subject: [40Whacks] Bridget

          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 3, 2001
            In a message dated 12/3/2001 10:46:14 AM Eastern Standard Time, revcoal@... writes:

            The official explanation was that she had a relative out there, but ostensibly the relative was there in 1892 and before, so why didn't Bridget move there before?

            I'm glad you think so too. With all the Irish immigrants in Boston, New York, you'd think she'd have contacts there. Her moving to Montana has always struck me as trying to get as far away from the situation as possible.

            Montana is remote -- even today -- and back then it was even more so... definitely a total change for a woman used to "city life" in Fall River.

            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 3, 2001
              In a message dated 12/03/2001 11:15:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              PatriciaLu@... writes:

              << The official explanation was that she had a relative out there, but
              > ostensibly the relative was there in 1892 and before, so why didn't
              Bridget

              I had always just taken it at face value that Brigitte had moved to Montana
              because she did have relatives there, and also because it was nice and far
              away.
              I have always thought that Brigitte never lied, but maybe softened the truth
              a little for which Lizzie must have been very grateful. Don't you think that
              Brigitte must have been intimidated by taking the oath to tell the truth, the
              whole truth etc. I am Irish and Catholic, and would feel enormously guilty
              lying. (we are so good at that guilt thing). Anyway, my point is that it is
              what she didn't say which is important because of course we all can't forget
              that scene when she thought that she was going to die, and wanted to spill
              the beans.

              Patsy751
              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 3, 2001
                In a message dated 12/3/2001 2:20:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, Patsy751@... writes:

                Anyway, my point is that it is
                what she didn't say which is important because of course we all can't forget
                that scene when she thought that she was going to die, and wanted to spill
                the beans.

                So are you saying you believe Bridget had a role in the murders?

                Message 7 of 16 , Dec 3, 2001
                  In a message dated 12/03/2001 2:28:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  PatriciaLu@... writes:

                  << So are you saying you believe Bridget had a role in the murders? >>

                  No, I don't believe that Brigitte had an "active" role in the murders. I
                  believe, for instance, that she might have overheard argument between Lizzie
                  and Abby. Maybe she saw Lizzie do something that day that in and of inself
                  was not directly incriminating, but suspicious, and so she had her doubts.

                  Patsy751
                • Rev COAL
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                    Something else, that I forgot to mention in my other post...

                    Montana was the only state in the Union which allowed women to vote...I always wondered if that also had something to do with Bridget's decision to move there.

                    Perhaps she liked the idea that there was one place on earth where her thoughts, ideas, and opinion would be valued....especially after having witnessed the plight of both Abby Borden and the Borden sisters.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                      In a message dated 10/12/2005 10:10:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, ynrchyldzwylds_hobby@... writes:
                      Montana was the only state in the Union which allowed women to vote...
                      Sorry, that's not true. Wyoming was the first territory to allow women to vote, and Colorado was the first state. In the scheme of things, Montana was a relative johnny-come-lately when it came to women voting.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                        Hi June:
                        The Minnie Green we hear about was supposed to have emigrated with Bridget
                        to the U.S. in 1886. Minnie made her way to Montana while Bridget went to
                        relatives in Newport, R.I. She worked there for about a year before going
                        to Pennsylvania for another year, then on to Fall River and worked for the
                        Reeds, then learned about the Bordens wanting a maid, so she went to work
                        for them in December (I think) of 1889.

                        > Something else, that I forgot to mention in my other post...
                        >
                        > Montana was the only state in the Union which allowed women to vote...I
                        > always wondered if that also had something to do with Bridget's decision
                        > to move there.
                        >
                        > Perhaps she liked the idea that there was one place on earth where her
                        > thoughts, ideas, and opinion would be valued....especially after having
                        > witnessed the plight of both Abby Borden and the Borden sisters.
                        >

                        > June
                        >

                        > ---WHODUNIT???---
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Rev COAL
                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                          Okay...so are you saying that Montana did NOT allow women to vote in 1893, or are you saying that it just wasn't the only state?

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 12, 2005
                            In a message dated 10/12/2005 7:24:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, ynrchyldzwylds_hobby@... writes:
                            Okay...so are you saying that Montana did NOT allow women to vote in 1893, or are you saying that it just wasn't the only state?
                            No, Montana did not allow women to vote. I knew Wyoming (well actually Wyoming as a territory) was the first, but I did not know where Montana was in the lineup, but here it is:

                            Colorado is the first state to adopt an amendment granting women the right to vote. Utah and Idaho follow suit in 1896, Washington State in 1910, California in 1911, Oregon, Kansas, and Arizona in 1912, Alaska and Illinois in 1913, Montana and Nevada in 1914, New York in 1917; Michigan, South Dakota, and Oklahoma in 1918.

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 30, 2005
                              Hey June:
                              Got a question for you if you have Victoria Lincoln's book handy.
                              On page 75:
                              Abby sent Bridget out to wash the windows, beginning with the sitting room ones, placing "her at the furthest possible remove from the door to the kitchen entry..."

                              Why?  You have to go up the front stairs to get to the guest bedroom.  Did I miss something here or did Victoria Lincoln goof and forgot you can't get to that room by the back stairs?

                              Also on this page, she had Bridget saying that "Mrs. Borden was a lovely lady to work for."
                              Victoria Lincoln claimed Bridget spoke with sincerity when she said that.
                              Me:   I called it a bald-faced lie.  Bridget may have been speaking the truth if it was Lizzie she was talking about.

                              What about para. 4:  Her household chores were also light; besides the cooking she did only the wash and occasionally a little heavy cleaning.  Yep, Lincoln was raised with maids.  Take Thursday morning:

                              1.  Bridget woke up with a sick headache.
                              2.  Went to the cellar at 6:15 for coal.
                              3.  Started the fire.
                              4.  Mrs. Borden came down at 6:30, and told her what to fix for breakfast.
                              5.  Bridget set the table using the good china.
                              6.  She re-heated the mutton and made pancakes from scratch.
                              7.  She folded clothes and watched what Mr. Borden did in the back yard.
                              8.  First, she said she had breakfast ready at 7:00 (Morse had said the same), then changed it to 7:15.
                              9.  Around 8:50, she goes out and throws up for some ten to fifteen minutes.
                              10.  She comes back in at 9:00 and Mrs. Borden, STILL DUSTING THE DINING ROOM, tells her to wash the
                                     windows, inside and out all around the house.
                              11.  Bridget went around closing the windows, Lizzie nowhere around, she goes out at 9:30 to do so.

                              12.  On page 66, Victoria Lincoln had Abby being killed around 9:00 and Andrew around 10:45.

                                  Did Victoria Lincoln goof again, or was she like Bridget, whenever she needed time, she took it.
                              Muriel

                            • June
                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 30, 2005
                                Muriel wrote:

                                > Hey June:
                                > Got a question for you if you have Victoria Lincoln's book handy.

                                ot really -- don't know where I put it. I still have it, but don't
                                keep it at hand like I do The Lizzie Borden Sourcebook.

                                I'll try to do my best from memory.... ;-)

                                >Abby sent Bridget out to wash the windows, beginning with the sitting
                                >room ones, placing "her at the furthest possible remove from the door
                                >to the kitchen entry..."
                                >
                                > Why? You have to go up the front stairs to get to the guest
                                >bedroom. Did I miss something here or did Victoria Lincoln goof and
                                >forgot you can't get to that room by the back stairs?

                                i'm not sure what Lincoln was trying to get at; I'm not sure if
                                Lincoln forgot about not being able to get to the guestroom from the
                                back stairs, or is just establishing that Bridget was about as far
                                away from the only portal of egress at that point in time -- in other
                                words, Lincoln establishes an alibi for Bridget while strengthening
                                her contention that Lizzie could have been the only one who could have
                                killed Abby at 9 am.

                                >Also on this page, she had Bridget saying that "Mrs. Borden was a
                                >lovely lady to work for."
                                >
                                >Victoria Lincoln claimed Bridget spoke with sincerity when she said
                                >that.
                                >
                                >Me: I called it a bald-faced lie.

                                I don't see how you can. According to all accounts, Lizzie and Emma
                                were the only two people who had anything bad to say about Abby --
                                everyone else described her as a sweet, wonderful, good woman. There
                                is no evidence to show that Bridget would have thought otherwise,
                                either -- none of Bridget's contemporaries were ever found that said
                                that when she visited them, she did nothing but gripe about how bad
                                her mistress was, for instance.

                                Bridget DID have it pretty good at the Borden's, considering how light
                                her duties were...she would have no reason to kill either Abby or
                                Andrew, as the chances of her finding a new employer as lenient as the
                                Borden's was not likely.

                                BTW, the fact that the Bordens, including Andrew, treated their maid
                                so well shows that they weren't as much as the tight, skin-flint,
                                Simon Legrees that others have painted them as.

                                >Her household chores were also light; besides the cooking she did
                                >only the wash and occasionally a little heavy cleaning. Yep, Lincoln
                                >was raised with maids.

                                Yes, compared to the usual chores of a maid in a middleclass
                                household, Bridget DID have it relatively easy. Maids in upperclass
                                households had it relatively easy, too, unless they were the lowest
                                echelon, scullery maids. In upperclass households they had a staff of
                                maids and butlers and footmen, etc. Any maid above a scullery made
                                had specific assigned duties -- the maid that made the beds was not
                                the maid who dusted the drawing room who, in turn was not the person
                                who polished the silver. Cooking was done by a cook who only cooked,
                                and laundry was either done by a laundress or the scullery maid (or
                                even sent out to a laundry).

                                A middleclass household usually only employed one maid, who was
                                expected to cook, clean the whole house, make all the beds, do
                                laundry, do the food shopping, do sewing and mending of at least
                                napkins and tablecloths, if not the household's clothes, make sure
                                that fires were kept going in the fireplaces in the appropriate
                                season, and not uncommonly were utilized as nannies, too. Such a maid
                                was lucky to get one afternoon a week off.

                                In the Borden household Bridget only had to do the laundry, cook, and
                                very little household chores. Laundry was a nasty business in those
                                days, and one gets the sense that it was for this duty that the
                                Borden's primarily employed a maid. I'm also guessing that cooking
                                wasn't Abby's forte', so she gladly left that to the maid to do,
                                also. But Abby seems to have been into the rest of hausfrau duties,
                                preferring to do the majority of dusting, bedmaking, food shopping
                                etc., herself...

                                >Bridget set the table using the good china.

                                Hasn't anyone else found this odd? Why the good china?

                                Presumably Bridget was instructed to do so, else one would presume
                                either Abby or Andrew would have said something. John Morse hardly
                                seems to qualify as someone the Borden's would have thought warranted
                                the use of the good china -- he was just family, and it was only
                                breakfast.

                                So what was going on that Abby and/or Andrew thought that the good
                                china was called for? What was so special about that day in
                                particular that the good china was used at breakfast, and Abby decided
                                that the windows needed washing?

                                >First, she said she had breakfast ready at 7:00 (Morse had said the
                                >same), then changed it to 7:15.

                                Not a major difference...what do YOU think the significance is?

                                >She comes back in at 9:00 and Mrs. Borden, STILL DUSTING THE DINING
                                >ROOM, tells her to wash the windows, inside and out all around the
                                >house.
                                >
                                >Bridget went around closing the windows, Lizzie nowhere around, she
                                >goes out at 9:30 to do so.

                                With all the windows closed, and Bridget starting out with the outide
                                of the sitting room windows, therefore as far away from the guest
                                bedroom as possible (other than going up into the barn), it's almost
                                as if Abby wanted to assure some privacy.

                                With the windows closed, and Bridget outside either at the back of the
                                house (to wash the kitchen windows), at the back fence chatting with
                                the nextdoor maid, or washing the sitting room windows on the side of
                                the house opposite the guest bedroom, or going back and forth to the
                                barn to get fresh water, Bridget was not only outside of the house,
                                but away from any commotion up in the guest bedroom.

                                She was also away from the front door, if any note was delivered
                                there, and/or Abby spoke to someone there.

                                Again, Abby's suddenly deciding that the windows needed washing that
                                morning comes off as a ploy to get Bridget out of the house for a
                                certain length of time.

                                >On page 66, Victoria Lincoln had Abby being killed around 9:00 and
                                Andrew around 10:45.

                                >Did Victoria Lincoln goof again, or was she like Bridget, whenever
                                >she needed time, she took it.

                                Well as I've mentioned before, she ignores her own argument in her
                                book where on one hand she states that Lizzie had no imagination, but
                                then later in the book Lincoln goes to great lengths to show how
                                imaginative Lizzie was in cooking up an arguable alibi...can't have it
                                both ways.

                                So Lincoln probably does ignore times that are inconvient for her
                                argument -- and considering that she changes her argument from one
                                thing to another, then presumably she'd pick certain timeframes to
                                suit the argument of the moment.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Nov 3, 2005
                                  Hi June:
                                  It's taking me a long time to reply, but we opened up a whole can or worms
                                  this time.

                                  Abby sends Bridget out to wash the windows beginning with the sitting room
                                  ones, placing "her at the furthest possible remove from the door to the
                                  kitchen entry..."

                                  >You feel Lincoln esablishes an alibi for Bridget while strengthening her
                                  >contention that Lizzie could have been the only one who could have killed
                                  >Abby at 9 am.

                                  You'll have to forgive me but sometimes I'm a slow thinker. What came to
                                  mind was that perhaps Lincoln had intentions of adding the 14 outside
                                  witnesses to cement her contention that Lizzie and Lizzie alone could
                                  possibly have killed Abby at 9 am. Makes sense. The only escape route was
                                  by the side door, but those 14 witnesses had that escape route secured also.
                                  The murderer was locked in an unlocked side door.

                                  >You don't see how I can call Bridget's remark that Abby was a lovely lady
                                  >to work for, a bald-faced lie. All the evidence showed that none of
                                  >Bridget's contemporaries were ever found who said Bridget griped about her
                                  >employers.

                                  You must have read something I never came across. I'd read where employers
                                  had said she had been a good and efficient worker. Period. The
                                  investigators sent to Newport, R.I., had reported that the only thing they
                                  had come up with beside the above was that she had a very hot temper. From
                                  what I'd read in the newspapers, hearing and trial, my conclusion was that
                                  Bridget was a chronic, adroit liar and as far as she was concerned, the
                                  truth was what she said it was at the time she said it, even if she had to
                                  change her story a dozen times, like she did about what she did between the
                                  time she went up to her room at 10:55 and the City Hall clock struck 11:00.

                                  I agree with you that Bridget's duties were light compared to most other
                                  maids, as she had not duties on the second floor and no kids she had to
                                  mind. So, here she was, with a sick headache, it was going to be a scorcher
                                  that day, was going to have to cook dinner after having had to cook
                                  breakfast, and Mrs. Borden refused to postpone the window washing. Bridget
                                  had gotten lazy. Wrong word, but it'll have to do for now. She had gotten
                                  accustomed to having a lot of time to herself once the breakfast dishes were
                                  out of the way, but today, of all days, Mrs. Borden was planning on buying
                                  meat and she was going to have to cook it. Now she would have no time off.
                                  It meant a whole morning of nothing but work.

                                  >Hasn't anyone else found this odd? Why the good china?
                                  To me, Morse was not considered by Abby as being "just family". It implied
                                  that Morse's visits were not as frequent as most people have been led to
                                  believe. And, most of those visits were business meetings with Andrew, even
                                  if he was free to spend the night if he so desired.

                                  > "... it's almost as if Abby wanted to assure some privacy.", about sending
                                  > Bridget outside to wash the windows, starting with the sitting room ones.
                                  > 'Bridget was not only outside the house, but away from any commotion up in
                                  > the guest bedroom.'"
                                  Again, we are running into the same brick wall.
                                  1. It is Bridget who is telling us that that was what happened.
                                  2. Victoria Lincoln agrees that Abby was killed at 9:00, yet Bridget went
                                  out to wash the windows at
                                  9:30. Like Bridget, anytime Lincoln needed time, she either took it or
                                  ignored it, as if time stood still or
                                  was at her command.

                                  On page 76, second paragraph of <<<9>>>, where Lizzie described the morning
                                  at the inquest, in many versions that not only contradicted each other but
                                  also contradicted the testimony of Uncle John, Bridget, and all who came in
                                  directly after the murders....

                                  Excuse me, but I never read where Victoria Lincoln stated that she had
                                  copies of everyone's inquest testimonies. Lizzie's testimony actually did
                                  not contradict Uncle John's, as he left the house BEFORE Lizzie came
                                  downstairs.
                                  Morse testified that Bridget was told to wash the windows while they were at
                                  breakfast and Bridget said she would.
                                  So why did Lincoln say that Abby (page 77, line 11) "...said something
                                  about washing the windows. Bridget either only half-registered, or
                                  pretended not to hear. From Morse's evidence we cannot tell which."
                                  How's that for Morse not contradicting Bridget?

                                  As for Bridget's, Lizzie's testimony most definitely did contradict
                                  Bridget's. Lizzie was telling the truth, as she remembered it. Bridget was
                                  screwing her all up.

                                  Victoria Lincoln told her readers how everyone agreed with Bridget's version
                                  of events. Which ones? All we have is Lizzie's version(s) at the inquest.
                                  With Bridget, she changed her story to agree with whatever the police
                                  uncovered. She aimed to please.

                                  Sorry June, I meant to start criticizing Lincoln from the beginning. I was
                                  reviewing my notes and making sure I hadn't misquoted or misinterpreted dear
                                  Victoria Lincoln before I started, but re-reading pages 75-77, I got ticked
                                  off too much to just keep my mouth shut and wait till the end. I'll try not
                                  to do it again.
                                  Have a great day,

> [...]
                                  > morning comes off as a ploy to get Bridget out of the house for a
                                  > certain length of time.
                                  >

                                  >>On page 66, Victoria Lincoln had Abby being killed around 9:00 and
                                  > Andrew around 10:45.
                                  >>
                                  >>Did Victoria Lincoln goof again, or was she like Bridget, whenever
                                  >>she needed time, she took it.
                                  >
                                  > Well as I've mentioned before, she ignores her own argument in her
                                  > book where on one hand she states that Lizzie had no imagination, but
                                  > then later in the book Lincoln goes to great lengths to show how
                                  > imaginative Lizzie was in cooking up an arguable alibi...can't have it
                                  > both ways.
                                  >
                                  > So Lincoln probably does ignore times that are inconvient for her
                                  > argument -- and considering that she changes her argument from one
                                  > thing to another, then presumably she'd pick certain timeframes to

                                • June
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Nov 5, 2005
                                    Muriel wrote:

                                    >You don't see how I can call Bridget's remark
                                    >that Abby was a lovely lady to work for, a
                                    >bald-faced lie. All the evidence showed that
                                    >none of Bridget's contemporaries were ever
                                    >found who said Bridget griped about her employers.
                                    >
                                    >You must have read something I never came across.

                                    No, the point is that I have NEVER read anything on this matter.

                                    One would think that if Bridget was so PO'd with her employers that
                                    she'd end up cracking their skulls with an ax, that she would have
                                    voiced her unhappiness with her work to her friends. Since no one
                                    ever came forward to be quoted in the papers that they had heard
                                    Bridget on at least one occasion berate her employers, one has to
                                    assume that no one ever did because Bridget never did.

                                    Ergo, Bridget must have been reasonably content with her job and with
                                    her employers, including Abby. Ergo, there is no basis on which to
                                    claim that her saying that Abby was a lovely lady to work for was a
                                    lie.

                                    >I'd read where employers had said she had been
                                    >a good and efficient worker. Period.

                                    Watch out, Muriel -- you're reasonably close to hoisting yourself on
                                    your own petard! ;-)

                                    Bridget was a "good and efficient worker"; hardly souds like someone
                                    with a drinking problem, does it? ;-)

                                    The investigators sent to Newport, R.I., had
                                    >reported that the only thing they had come up
                                    >with beside the above was that she had a very
                                    >hot temper.

                                    So she got her Irish up on occasion....

                                    I still don't see how you can conclude from that that she was not only
                                    an adroit liar, and a chronic one at that...there is absolutely
                                    nothing in those reports to lead to that conclusion, unless one is
                                    already predisposed to think of Bridget as the killer, and then any
                                    reports showing her in a good character would have to be construed as
                                    being due to Bridget being a liar....

                                    But again, there are no FACTS to support such an allegation; all her
                                    ex-employers had good things to say about her as an employee. And
                                    since she had been at the Bordens for a couple of years, it would seem
                                    that they also were at least satisfied, if not pleased, with her work
                                    performance. And considering that the Borden's were fanatical
                                    teetotalers, it is hard to believe that they would keep a tippling,
                                    tipsy maid in their employ for long.

                                    >She had gotten accustomed to having a lot of
                                    >time to herself once the breakfast dishes were
                                    >out of the way, but today, of all days, Mrs.
                                    >Borden was planning on buying meat and she was
                                    >going to have to cook it.

                                    It seems to me that after 5 days of the same old mutton, Bridget would
                                    have been kissing Abby's feet over the prospect of having something
                                    new and fresh to eat...

                                    I find it hard to believe that that was the only day in all of
                                    Bridget's employ that Abby had bought meat in the morning for Bridget
                                    to cook for the midday meal. Even if it WAS hot, you mean to say that
                                    there had never been any other hot summer day in all of Bridget's
                                    employ that Abby had gone out in the morning to buy meat for Bridget
                                    to cook for the midday meal?

                                    After all, one of the things pointed out to dispute Lincoln's claim
                                    that Abby was lazy was the fact that Abby often went out a couple of
                                    times a week to shop for groceries and meat. No one ever claimed that
                                    Abby slacked off on this chore just because the day was hot (and one
                                    would think that perhaps she'd be even MORE inclined to do so in hot
                                    weather, both to get out of a hot house for some relatively fresh air,
                                    and because in hot weather food spoiled more quickly...if it had been
                                    Febuary instead of August, they probably would have had Sunday's
                                    mutton last throughout the week, not just 4.5 days!<LOL>)

                                    >Now she would have no time off.

                                    Unless Abby was going to buy a huge roast and ask Bridget to
                                    rotisserie it, whatever else she bought would take minimal time, in
                                    perspective. Again, this wasn't anything new, Abby -- and Bridget --
                                    did this all the time.

                                    >It meant a whole morning of nothing but work.

                                    It still would have been a much easier day than the day that Bridget
                                    did laundry -- PLUS still had to cook and clean the kitchen and do
                                    whatever chores the other family members didn't do.

                                    >Excuse me, but I never read where Victoria Lincoln
                                    >stated that she had copies of everyone's inquest
                                    >testimonies.

                                    Neither have I. Presumably she had access to the official transcript,
                                    just like everyone else.

                                    June ;)