Re: [40Whacks] Has Andrew Borden's reputation suffered as the result of misandry?

  • Rev COAL
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
      I think Andrew Borden's bad rep for the most part occurred well after his death; when you read contemporary news accounts quoting his acquaintances, they for the most part had positive things to say about him.

      That's not to say that Borden was a warm, cozy, hail-fellow-well-met personality; he surely was not, but he was just as surely par-for-the-course for a Victorian gentleman living in New England and raised and steeped in its traditions, which includes what is perceived to be a "cold personality" (which continues to this day, I may add).

      Sure he had enemies, what astute businessman doesn't (there are plently of people who hate Donald Trump, for instance)?  But most of his contemporaries viewed either favorably, or at least not as being odd.

      The revisionism started at least a generation later, a time frame coinciding with the growth in popularity of Freud's theories, which I believe influenced those first, and subsequent, writers.

      Suddenly people were starting to conjecture about what was "wrong" with the Borden family, oddly sympathizing with Lizzie while at the same time assuming her guilt, and looking to place the blame for what allegedly made her a killer onto someone else.

      It was at this time that Abby's life and personality were turned into the equivalent of a doormat, and Andrew was cast as a penny-pinching tyrant, reputations neither had during their lifetimes -- except perhaps by a few people who, for their own reasons, already disliked one or the other, and it is on these threadbare opinions from a couple of gripers that later authors based their psychological profiles of the 2 victims.

      June

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 4, 2006
        Thanks June.
        I think you hit the nail on the head.
        Authors relied on people like Hiram Harrington to base their opinions of Andrew Borden.
        Personally, I believe Hiram Harrington resented Andrew's money making prowess.  Even though he gave his sister Laurana $3,000 for her share of their father's house, Hiram still felt cheated.  He proved this when he told reporters that Andrew  wanted Laurana to pay the $3 water tax which was due.

        Lizzie is the one who should have felt slighted, as her father paid her and Emma only $5,000 for that house.  Guess Hiram was irritated by the $30 a month they were collecting in rents.  No author ever mentioned who collected the rents.  Lizzie and Emma, or their father.  My guess?  He did.