RE: [40Whacks] private Borden library on sale

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
      Message

      Laura:

      Thanks to the 10th power for posting this information.  I thought my Lizzie library was stacked, but I ended up buying 16 books!

      They should arrive Friday – I’m going to have a whacking good weekend…

      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
        Message
        OH!!! I am insanely jealous. Which ones did you get?  Will you share some book reports!
        Laura James

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 7, 2006
          Message

          Laura James:

          I can’t imagine you being insanely anything – glad I could push the envelope…

          Among my new acquisitions are the following:

                      *”Blood in the Parlor” – true crime essays with 18 page chapter on Lizzie

                      *”The Borden Tragedy” – graphic format adapted from the unpublished memoir of an unknown woman in Fall River (discovered during a 1990 estate sale).

                      *”On Trial:  Seven Intriguing Cases of Capital Crime” – includes a 23 page chapter on the Borden case.

                      *”First Degree” – by famous attorney William Kunstler:  18 true crime essays with a 14 page chapter on Lizzie.

                      *”The Lights are Warm and Coloured” – a play about Lizzie Borden and Maplecroft set in 1905.

                      *”Murder at Smutty Nose” - contains the only Edmund Pearson Borden article I don’t have.

                      *”The Borden Murder Mystery” by Arthur Phillips – Robinson’s trial assistant, originally part of his rare “History of Fall River”.

                      *”Murder Takes the Stage” – rare play about an acquitted axe murderess (Miss Liz) suspected in a new crime.

                      *The Astrologer Looks at Murder” – Lizzie’s chart is examined in a 30 page chapter by novelist Barbara Hunt.

          I will post some book reports – assuming 40 Whacks still exists as a group.  Been pretty dead lately…

          I can’t wait to see this package on my doorstep this Friday!!!!!

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 8, 2006
            Message
            I can't wait to see your reports. The only one I've even *heard* of before is "Murder at Smutty Nose," which I have -- one of Pearson's best collections. You'll enjoy that. As to the rest, boy, what a list.

            I wonder why he sold all his books, anyway?

            I got a nice note from Dun & Powell after I posted a note on my Clews site, but since I helped them sell so many books, sheesh, I ought to get a coupon or something. But I'll settle for book reports