Victorian Garments (and how long it would take to dress)

  • Rev COAL
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006
      I posed the question on a costume list I am on asking for opinions as to how
      long it would take a woman of Lizzie's era to dress and undress; as you
      know, I've consistently stated for those who want to press the
      Lizzie-Did-It-In-The-Nude theory that it would have taken her too long to
      undress and redress to be able to fit into the given timeframe...

      Message: 1
      Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:55:08 -0500
      From: "Rev COAL" <ynrchyldzwylds_hobby@...>
      Subject: Re: Question regarding Victorian clothes

      Dorothy Truslow wrote:

      >Is she dressing herself or is she having a maid dress her? What's her
      >station in life? What part of the Victorian Era?

      Sorry, I should have been more specific.

      The time would be the early 1890s; the woman was
      upper-middleclass with no maid, she would have
      undressed and dressed herself.

      I'm specifically looking for information regarding what
      would have been a normal, simple "every day" outfit
      that she would have worn primarily at home to do
      simple chores, in other words not a more elaborate
      outfit she would have worn to go visiting or for a
      formal occasion.

      >To get fully dressed - from nothing to wearing shoes and just the
      >clothing, without time included to style the hair and add accessories
      >(jewelery, hat, gloves, etc), I would figure 20 to 30 minutes.

      Yes, I'm looking for a time frame for just simply getting
      dressed in the morning (also how long it would take to
      take everything off), just that and no hairstyling,
      accessories, etc.

      To try to clarify it further, what I am looking for is an
      opinion as to how long it would take a woman dressed
      typically for the early 1890s in an outfit she would have
      normally worn at home to do chores in to:

      1. take absolutely every item of clothing off, even her
      shoes and stockings, so that she was wearing nothing
      at all, and

      2. how long would it take her to get completely dressed
      again with no help?

      Thanks again for your interest and replies!

      June ;-)

      Message: 2
      Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:04:52 -0800 (PST)
      From: Dorothy Truslow
      Subject: Re: Re: Question regarding Victorian clothes

      Early 1890's at home wear when one was not going to do
      chores and was not expecting guests, would have been a
      fairly simple (by Victorian standards) wrapper or house dress.

      Good images at http://agelesspatterns.com/morning_wear_1.htm
      These are period illustrations/patterns from Harper's Bazzar
      and similar magazines of the time.

      Putting on and adjusting her corset would have taken the
      longest. She's have stockings and shoes, a shift of some sort
      under her corset, her pantalettes, the corset itself which would
      have to be laced and adjusted, then a chemise over the corset
      and a petticoat or two, and finally the dress. It the dress
      buttons, allow time to do up the buttons. If it closes w/ hooks
      and eyes, allow time for that.

      Again allow at least 20 minutes to get dressed, not accounting
      for hair, make-up, and accessories. Taking it all off, would take
      slightly less time. To take off the corset she'd merely need to
      untie it, loosen it slightly and then unfasten the front busk.

      - Dorothy
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006
        Thanks, June. That was very interesting. You could also think that if this were premeditated, maybe LIzzie was "going commando" under her dress, knowing she'd have to take it off. I can't say I ever bought into the nude theory -- I think it gained popularity with the Elizabeth Montgomery movie.

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 18, 2006
          For the record - I postulate Lizzie in the nude for Abby's murder only. She
          wouldn't have to buff it to knock off Andrew.

          June - I enjoyed the personal attacks in your latest onslaught of
          retaliatory posts. If I'm hallucinating then you've reached full dementia.

          Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:55:08 -0500
          From: "Rev COAL" <ynrchyldzwylds_hobby@...>

          Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:04:52 -0800 (PST)
          From: Dorothy Truslow

[...]