Re: [40Whacks] Lizzie the "Capitalist"

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006
      Hi gang:
      JT made an interesting observation concerning "...Lizzie commented to Grace [Howe] that she herself "had always been a Capitalist"..."but she had... "learned to value people over property."

      What the above sounds like, is New England mentality.  It is not greed, but privacy; living space; freedom from being inondated by people; from turning a quiet neighborhood into a playground, so to speak. Example:

      Back in 1997, I'd flown to Maryland to see my son's new house.  I told him that if I'd had the money, I'd buy the empty lot next door so no one could put up another house.  His reply:  "Ma, that is two lots and each one is selling for $60,000."  YIKES!!!!!

      When Lizzie made friends with anyone, she was sincere, providing they did her no wrong.  If that happened, the break became permanent.  Lizzie did not need a lot of people around her.  She envied no one.  I sincerely believe that, when those on the hill ostracized her, she could have cared less.  In fact, she probably liked it that way.   Free and independent, what more can anyone ask for?

      As for the John Swift episode, sounds like Lizzie got the best of the deal.  Lawyers don't like being on the receiving end.  What was it Lincoln had said?  Something like:  Lizzie was cut from the same nasty bolt as her father.  Could be.

      The reason no one has been able to prove Lizzie did the killing, is because she had nothing to do with it.  My 15 years of research has proven just the opposite, that she was innocent.
      As for Bridget, I never wrote that she had a hangover.  I left it for the readers to decide for themselves, whether she was subject to headaches, or maybe it was something else.  I just wrote what I'd learned.  Readers have no trouble separating me from my book.

      JT:  I am curious as to where you found your 40 reasons "proving" Lizzie was guilty.  I'd come across 44 and was able to tear nearly all of them apart.  Most had come from Knowlton's summation to the jury at the trial.
      Knowlton had followed a lawyer [A.A.Bragg's] advice; speak with conviction.  He ignored all the evidence produced and from sheer force of his belief, told the jury they should find her guilty because he KNEW she was guilty.  All I can say was that son-of-his-mother met his match when Dewey gave his charge.

      I don't care how many times law schools hold mock trials on the Borden case, they will continue to find her Not Guilty.

      Sent: Sunday, February 05, 2006 11:39 AM
      Subject: [40Whacks] Lizzie the "Capitalist"

      Lizzie’s cousin Grace Howe, wife of FDR advisor Louis Howe and one of Lizzie’s few confidants, gave an extensive interview about her infamous relative in 1945.  This one quote resonates with me:  Sometime in 1919 Lizzie commented to Grace that she herself “had always been a Capitalist” (advocating accumulation of personal material wealth), but that she had “learned to value people over property.”

      Grace assumed Lizzie was referring to her frequent endeavors to build walls on property lines and her obsession with snatching up other lots around Maplecroft as they became available.  And indeed, Lizzie certainly had a falling out with her neighbor across the street Emma Lake - once good friends, they never spoke in later years over some mysterious property dispute.  Lizzie was also in an extended litigation with John Swift, the lawyer next door who sold part of his back lot to her in 1902 and lived to regret it.

      “Learned to value people over property”:   Just the sad conscience of an acquisitive capitalist?  Or the sinister glimmer of an ancient motive?

      JT

    • Rev COAL
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2006

        >What the above sounds like, is New England mentality. It is not greed, but
        >privacy; living space; freedom from being inondated by people; from turning
        >a quiet neighborhood into a playground, so to speak.

        There's something to that...it was New Englander Robert Frost who wrote
        "good fences make good neighbors", after all...

        I'm amazed at housing developments elsewhere in the country, especially out
        west, where they build houses right on top of one another, someimes divided
        by ugly cinderblock walls in the name of "privacy", but which in fact does
        NOT give privacy because the house next door is only 10 feet away, and those
        cinderblock walls end up giving the neighborhood the look and feel of a
        prison...

        When I mentioned that to someone who'd always lived out west, they reacted
        like I was crazy - they just couldn't imagine building houses on 1/4 acre
        lots or larger....

        But you never see single-family developments here in Connecticut built that
        closely together, unless it's a publicly-funded low-cost housing
        development. No one would buy a private development single-family house
        that was built so close to the next house...in the past (meaning 50 years
        ago), 1/4 acre was the minimum requirement for such developments, but over
        the years it has steadily risen to 1/3 or 1/2 acre property included with
        the land, and in recent years 1 full acre has become the norm....

        We like our privacy. And good fences -- and a good number of square footage
        between residences -- make good neighbors....

        June ;-)