Mary Phagan case (was: Top Ten]

  • Rev COAL
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2005
      Another thing about the case, even tho the black janitor (was his name Willie?) seemed to confess to the murder on his deathbed, he never came right out and said "I raped and killed Mary Phagan"...it was more a case of others putting words into his mouth, and he was probably too sick to clarify himself.

      He DID seem to know something about the rape and murder, though, but the note that was found on Phagan's body doesn't make sense if Willie was the culprit -- what, did he viciously rape and brutally beat up Mary, and then get her paper and pencil and let her write a note implicating himself before killing her? Would he have let such a note remain on her body while he led police to it?

      No, to me the existence of that note suggests that at least one other person was involved, and that that person was probably Caucasian, because I doubt a black man would write a note like that.

      Also, while Willie DID have a history of domestic abuse with his various live-in girlfriends (all of whom were black), he did not have a history of rape, pedophilia, or even ever having tried to pick up a white girl or woman (something that would have gotten him lynched in those days)....

      As I said, I think Willie knew something, and may have acted as procuror for someone else (or more than one other), probably the white men that witnesses saw with Mary later on Saturday, hours after the prosecution claimed Franks had killed her....and perhaps it was to Willie that the job fell of getting rid of Phagen after they were thru...